GDT: GAME 58 | Coyotes @ Senators | Ugh, Whatever! Edition | Fri Mar 1st 7PM, 2024 | TSN5, RDS

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yet they allowed a pass from the Im outside to the slot for an attacker who had lots of room, past a defender who doesn’t get in the way of the shot. It’s a good shot from a dangerous spot on the ice. Still too passive on the short sequence. If pinto scores that it’s all talk about how great of a shot it is. Just another night the PK gives up multiple goals.
The nature of the sport is that the other team will get shots. And some will be quite good shots. And some will be poor shots. It will happen every game. That’s why goalies are employed.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The nature of the sport is that the other team will get shots. And some will be quite good shots. And some will be poor shots. It will happen every game. That’s why goalies are employed.

Yes. And I don’t fault goaltenders when they get beat by good shots.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
This team watched Maccelli provocatively raise the puck on an empty net goal and had no physical response tells you all you need to know about the character of its core.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
There is no point. The Coyotes have played well 2 nights in a row.

The difference being the Leafs have a goaltender in Woll who makes 1/10th of what our duo makes and can come back off a longterm injury and steal a game for the Leafs.

We're not a good team of skaters, I'll agree with people there. We're an average team with highs and lows. There are a lot of teams just like us and their goaltending is not atrociously bad and many of them will be making the playoffs this season.
Your last two sentences are key. Years of not making the playoffs seems to have some people think you need to be a near perfect to be a playoff team. We’ve places “playoff team” on a pedestal. They’re are teams that make the playoffs that are flat out not very good.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Well, the good vibes are definitely gone. Maybe after the deadline passes and Norris injury sting wears off things will settle again.

Their confidence is obviously shattered and the goaltending is just atrocious. Really not a good combo because it's basically cyclical.

I hope things don't get too awful here, but with how thin the organization is now, a high pick is probably necessary.

Reactions: Emrasie

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Really looking forward to the trade deadline and off season. Uhg.

New look to the team, new coaching staff, new drafting…..

Really hope that Staios and Andlauer prove to be a power pair.

Just wish it didn't have to be so long..... :confused:

Reactions: Ice-Tray

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Your point is your mad we didn’t dominate the coyotes.

Okay well if you think that was a good shot.
The Yotes 4th goal was a pretty good shot. Saveable? Sure. But it was also a great shot. If that's one of our guys, we'd be like "Pinto ripped that one"

The first goal against was terrible and the second one wasn't much better. Stand around and watch the other side make plays.

Reactions: DrEasy

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
We literally were good for 15+ games up until this week where they turned back into a pumpkin, but let's not pretend like they weren't giving us stellar hockey prior to it.

They were giving us inconsistent hockey.

They've always done that.

They've given us great hockey for 10 games. They've also given us shit hockey for 10 games.

That's why it was so strange seeing fans get so excited for this recent good 10 games.

We all knew they were about to be shit for 10 games. That's what inconsistent teams do.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Jacques not happy with the officiating. He's right about that.

I agree. But a good team doesn't even let officiating be a problem. You steamroll your opponent even if they got 5 powerplays to your 1.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I'm seeing a group of young guys who didn't learn how to play at the NHL level and it's going to take longer than I thought for them to re-learn the game.

Also, our goaltending has managed to get even worse lately, and that's a hurdle few teams can overcome. We're not the Oilers.

Is it going to take longer or is it possible they're never going to be good enough to win a cup?

I think this roster needs major work.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
6 more wins and this team is in the playoff hunt.

Recently we lost to Chicago, Anaheim and now Arizona. On that fateful December trip where DJ got canned, we lost 3 games where we blew multi goal leads.

That's 6 games. 12 points. But we got 0. So we are what we are..a bottom feeder.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I’m having a hard time assessing this team due to the league worst goaltending.

I did a quick lookup. 3 wins when out goalies were sub .900 and 3 losses when our goalies were above .900. For comparison Vancouver has lost 4 games with a save % over .900

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Good thing tough guys like Kastelic, Kelly and MacEwen are on the team to go after players who take liberties with the Sens' top talent...

useless turds.

This! When I saw O'Brien mixing it up with Tkachuk, I thought "kastelic or MacEwan better go fight O'Brien so Tkachuk doesn't have to"

Nothing.

What is the point of these guys? Litterally the biggest p***yes for guys who need to be tough to stay in the league. Get rid of both of them. Way too soft for "tough guys".

Reactions: chipsens

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Wasn't their first rounder stripped of them with Dorion's double dealings?
One of their next 3 1st round picks of their choice. They certainly won’t be letting this years pick go.

Bettman threw the Sens a bone because they had a new owner who literally took over the team a month and a half prior, and the only remaining guy in Management tht was here for it was Dorion, who was swiftly fired.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I’m having a hard time assessing this team due to the league worst goaltending.

I did a quick lookup. 3 wins when out goalies were sub .900 and 3 losses when our goalies were above .900. For comparison Vancouver has lost 4 games with a save % over .900
Where did you get that data? Curious about "quick". Is there a site that compiles that?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This! When I saw O'Brien mixing it up with Tkachuk, I thought "kastelic or MacEwan better go fight O'Brien so Tkachuk doesn't have to"

Nothing.

What is the point of these guys? Litterally the biggest p***yes for guys who need to be tough to stay in the league. Get rid of both of them. Way too soft for "tough guys".
To be fair, this was a big criticism of Jacques Martin led teams, he didn't want guys seeking revenge, the refs would take care of it by penalizing them and we'd settle it on the score board.

MacEwen didn't even get a shift after the mid point of the 2nd, Kastelic only had one in the third. They can't take care of O'Brien if they never see the ice, I guess Kastelic could have jumped Cooley or Guenther in his one 3rd period shift since those were the options on the ice with him.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Where did you get that data? Curious about "quick". Is there a site that compiles that?
Not sure about a site that does exactly that, but you could probably export the game results from natural statrick to excel and make a pivot table

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
To be fair, this was a big criticism of Jacques Martin led teams, he didn't want guys seeking revenge, the refs would take care of it by penalizing them and we'd settle it on the score board.

MacEwen didn't even get a shift after the mid point of the 2nd, Kastelic only had one in the third. They can't take care of O'Brien if they never see the ice, I guess Kastelic could have jumped Cooley or Guenther in his one 3rd period shift since those were the options on the ice with him.

I seem to remember Jacques rolling 4 lines back in the day and Neil getting into a bunch of fights.

I do agree he didn't love the rough stuff, but it still happened under him back in the day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad