GDT: Game 57: Van @ Col February 20, 2024 7PM (MT) [Tired of late GDTs edition]

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Fire Bednar!
On some level, I get it. You don't go around complimenting people for merely doing their jobs; that way when you do actually compliment them for going over and above it means something. Jared does this. The problem is, outside of the extremely rare occasions with Makar and MacKinnon, he can't let a compliment go without setting some condition on it.

Everyone is different, but I happen to be a guy that will run for six months on an honest compliment. As long as I feel I'm compensated fairly, I don't give a shit about others making more than me. What I do want, is to feel appreciated and like I contribute to the team. If every time my boss complimented me they put a disclaimer on it... They'd be looking for my replacement pretty damn quick.

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
If I managed this website, you'd have already read about the union of MacCrosbinnon at the sacrifice of Johansen under the last full moon.

But I absolutely agree, whoever manages this technology has a pretty thankless job. I kind of hope they are into knitting or model rockets or anything other than hockey just so they don't come here during their off time and see me acting like a complete jackass.
'tis a thankless job I agree.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
On some level, I get it. You don't go around complimenting people for merely doing their jobs; that way when you do actually compliment them for going over and above it means something. Jared does this. The problem is, outside of the extremely rare occasions with Makar and MacKinnon, he can't let a compliment go without setting some condition on it.

Everyone is different, but I happen to be a guy that will run for six months on an honest compliment. As long as I feel I'm compensated fairly, I don't give a shit about others making more than me. What I do want, is to feel appreciated and like I contribute to the team. If every time my boss complimented me they put a disclaimer on it... They'd be looking for my replacement pretty damn quick.
Bednar has a "unique" style of coaching. When it works it works blah blah etc etc. It is also fraught with vacuums... prone to a house of cards... imnsho. Since am at it.. one of those style points is how he appropriations responsibility/blame. Won't wax on this point, but could. Something that is very prone to that cardy house.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Bednar has a "unique" style of coaching. When it works it works blah blah etc etc. It is also fraught with vacuums... prone to a house of cards... imnsho. Since am at it.. one of those style points is how he appropriations responsibility/blame. Won't wax on this point, but could. Something that is very prone to that cardy house.
I don't want to get into generational differences but there was a goalie a couple of years ago talking about pumping air into tires.

A compliment is meant to fill the tires up. When you compliment someone but put a disclaimer on it, you are actually let air out of the f***ing tire.

Jared needs to understand this. Him allowing Mikko to play like absolute dog-shit without word one, while checking every compliment he gives to other players is maddening.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
The ones I post with a link with seem to work fine. The ones that are uploaded seem to only show up one time. If you navigate away from that page, and go back to it, they disappear.
This is so weird because I never used to download pictures in order to upload them from them from my computer until HF started preventing us from just linking the damn picture.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

The possession stats outside the top defensive pairing are about as ugly as you might think. And the third pairing got absolutely MURDERED tonight…that said I’m not getting on Byram for once, IMO JJ played quite possibly his worst game in an Avs uniform. Might need to give him a break soon and try Malinski or Jones. He played the first half at an acceptable clip but recently he’s been really rough.

Reactions: Vk1ing

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
I don't want to get into generational differences but there was a goalie a couple of years ago talking about pumping air into tires.

A compliment is meant to fill the tires up. When you compliment someone but put a disclaimer on it, you are actually let air out of the f***ing tire.

Jared needs to understand this. Him allowing Mikko to play like absolute dog-shit without word one, while checking every compliment he gives to other players is maddening.
Agree with ya. He's an old dog, so new tricks not be his thing. He's into the Darwin zone... if his style werks, well, it has mostly. He has a crazy long leash, more than other HC's around.. but Darwin always wins out. As we're on the outside, who knows what goes on in their orbits. Tho one can see and surmise pretty accurately. The mikko thing reached the appalling point a long time ago.. agree with ya. Will just have to see what Charley Darwin has in store.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

At least he’s not Tocchet. That dude will never complement his players and he’s always unhappy even if his players play the perfect game. He’ll find something to say they did it wrong LOL

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
When Bednar makes an effort to limit the impact of a compliment like this, it kind of pisses me off.
I don't see any negative in that quote. He says it's the best long stretch that G has had. Maybe he peaked higher for a game or two but this the best stretch. He's saying that he's playing consistently at a high level.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I know they want to make room for Lehkonen but I rather liked Drouin in that bumper spot. It was kind of nice to see that spot be more of a facilitator and not just get beaten around while trying to feverishly mash the puck in.

Id prefer Mikko on the right and Drouin behind the net on the PP. Mikkos shot is lethal from tgat spot. Drouin, not so much. Theyre sacrificing too much.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
For one night, and probably one night only, we had a 2C AND a pretty good starting goalie and look what happens. We win.

RyJo & 4giev won us that game, how strange is that?

Overall, this was a fun one. Nucks are legit, Avs could be if these two fellas FINALLY find their game. I still don't believe it, but at least for tonight, i like those two. Next game it's likely different ... ^^

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Well we all knew fatass was a playoff guy. He's heating up at the right time.

Also watching this on NHL TV, this is the first game this season where the post-game interview with the first star has been included in the replay. The league knows. It won't be long before everyone else is running scared.

NMAvsman

Jan 28, 2007
Well as was stated before....playoff style game and Ryjo looked serviceable (which was predicted by many)...which is er...ok I guess....but hopefully he is gone soon. Byram was quiet, but no glaring awful plays. Glad we got the win, but not there yet. First part of period 1 the passing was crisp....then when the Nucks clogged the zone up we got caught a lot in our own zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00