GDT: Game #56 San Jose at BRUINS - 2/9 7:00 PM | NESN, SN360, SN-W, TVAS, WBZ-FM 98.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
answer, no.

wasn't it reported that the only way the above is even an option is one of the teams is delayed elsewhere or the league assigned officials cannot get there.

it has been reported that the League officials are there as are the Sharks.

There was a game in the early 80's in Hartford during a snow storm. The only on ice official to make it was (Linesman) Ron Asselstine. He reffed the game and two Whalers players that weren't dressed were the linesmen. One was Mickey Volcan and (as Butch Cassidy would say) if I could remember the other guy I could die a happy man.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
If the team comes out with some commitment and fire, this is there for the taking. Sharks are coming off a Bruin-esque collapse again Buffalo a couple nights ago- were up 4-1, lost 5-4 in OT. We might see an 8-7 scoreline here :laugh:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
There was a game in the early 80's in Hartford during a snow storm. The only on ice official to make it was (Linesman) Ron Asselstine. He reffed the game and two Whalers players that weren't dressed were the linesmen. One was Mickey Volcan and (as Butch Cassidy would say) if I could remember the other guy I could die a happy man.

Volcan is correct.

https://www.nhl.com/news/volcan-howatt-made-nhl-history-30-years-ago/c-650647

Leading up to the game between the New Jersey Devils and Hartford Whalers on Jan. 15, 1983, there was no indication that history might be made. But once the game started in Hartford, Conn., Mickey Volcan and Garry Howatt became the central figures in an unusual and historic moment that likely never will be repeated. Thirty years later, they still occasionally talk about being the only players in NHL history to serve as emergency on-ice officials in an NHL game.

On their way to the game from Boston, referee Ron Fournier and linesman Ron Asselstine got stuck in a snowstorm. So by the time both teams were ready to drop the puck, there was only one linesman available to officiate the game. Just 15 minutes before game time, linesman Ron Foyt assumed refereeing duties and approached each team about finding replacement linesmen.

"All of a sudden, [Whalers coach] Larry Kish said, 'We're going to have a player from each team and you're going to represent our team,'" Volcan, who was unable to play that night due to a hand injury sustained in Hartford's morning skate, said. "So we put on some sweats and black practice jerseys and they called us in to the room prior to the game. We sat down and he [Foyt] went through it with us."

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I really hope they postpone/ reschedule this one.

We want to go but it is really snowing hard here and is supposed to get worse.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Could be enjoyable to sit home with a hot tottie and watch the game.

I'm sure Mr. Burns will refund 25% of your ticket cost.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I have no idea what to expect tonight....very curious to see what happens but if we lose I won't be surprised.

The storm sounds very bad but I guess it is harder to reschedule when the teams are from opposite sides of the country.

GO BRUINS!!! :handclap::handclap::handclap:

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I would encourage the Bruins to start communicating clearly on tonight's game.

The Governor has asked people to stay off roads.

I live on the Cape and have tickets that, as we all know, are not cheap.

Question for Mr. Jacobs and Cam Neely:

1) Are you planning on the game being played? If you don't know, I'd suggest you decide quite quickly -- or at least set a hard and firm time for when you'll make that decision public.

2) If you don't plan on cancelling -- seemingly at odds with wishes of State Officials with regards to people being on roads - what will you refund policy be?

3) If it's reasonable refund policy, I will stay at home and be safe.

4) If you don't plan on refunding money, well then I just don't know what to say.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

1) Are you planning on the game being played? If you don't know, I'd suggest you decide quite quickly -- or at least set a hard and firm time for when you'll make that decision public.

2) If you don't plan on cancelling -- seemingly at odds with wishes of State Officials with regards to people being on roads - what will you refund policy be?

4) If you don't plan on refunding money, well then I just don't know what to say.

I called and the B's will offer no refund if you don't go.

The right thing to do is reschedule

I was told I could put my seats on Exchange...But if the game was rescheduled I would no longer have my tickets.

They need to reschedule now.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

Oh you Americans, I've made drives through more snow to go play beer league hockey :sarcasm:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

If you call (617) 624-1900 you will be told

1. NHL rules say the game MUST be played.

2. NO REFUNDS

Last edited:

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Oh you Americans, I've made drives through more snow to go play beer league hockey :sarcasm:

:laugh:...Well I haven't yet decided . My kid flew in from Calif to go to the game and really wants to go . Since I live in NH it would not be a fun drive . If I got there only to have them call off the game I would be REALLY angry Parking will be a problem so we would park at the Garden . It costs $$$ to park there

...and then there is my driveway which is steep. Not sure I could get up it later tonight.

They need to cancel now

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
I put my tickets on The Ticket Exchange yesterday at 20% under face and they sold. Losing 20% is better than losing 100%.

Despite the weather and the team performance there are people that will brave their way to the Garden tonight. But I'm not one of those brave people that are willing to risk damage to myself or my car to go to a hockey game.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
:laugh:...Well I haven't yet decided . My kid flew in from Calif to go to the game and really wants to go . Since I live in NH it would not be a fun drive . If I got there only to have them call off the game I would be REALLY angry Parking will be a problem so we would park at the Garden . It costs $$$ to park there

...and then there is my driveway which is steep. Not sure I could get up it later tonight.

They need to cancel now

Unfortunately with a California team in town already it will be played I think

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
If you call (617) 624-1900 you will be told

1. NHL rules say the game MUST be played.

2. NO REFUNDS

Amazing.

I get that NHL rules say the game must be played.

However, I also understand that Mr. Jacobs has been paid for the tickets -- so he wins no matter what. So really what he is doing is to tell fans "hey although Governor is asking all of you to stay home, you get jack squat from me if you choose not to put your life in danger -- your choice".

I'm not going to be stupid and endanger myself for a team (management) that doesn't value it's fans. However, some people will -- hope it all works out for them.

What a minor league organization.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

They need to cancel now

Be careful Susan. The worst hasnt even got to Boston yet. Right now its coming down real hard in Worcester. Cant even see down my street.

As far the game goes I understand it wont be canceled as the Sharks are already here. Besides it may help that JJ and Charlie get a preview of what the stands could look like for the next couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad