GDT: Game 56: Coyotes @ Sharks - 7:30PM - Rick, this is your Coyotes Life!

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Play like an 8m a year defenseman.
We all know his contract is ugly, but if not for the plandemic the cap would be much higher and not look as bad. EVERY team has a bad contract, but it's what you do with the remaining cap space to round out your team. OEL is still a very very good Dman. Second in points on the Yotes, and first in almost every other area. I mentioned his contract is "ugly". I take that back. It's a bit high but not ugly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coyotedroppings

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
We all know his contract is ugly, but if not for the pandemic the cap would be much higher and not look as bad.

No, it'd look just as bad without a cap bump. He's playing at half of his contract value right now and has been for the past couple of seasons. Keep in mind that half of his contract value is $4.13M/year, which is 3/4D territory and still at least competent, so don't go all nuts saying I'm a hater who thinks OEL is a bag of pucks.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
No, it'd look just as bad without a cap bump. He's playing at half of his contract value right now and has been for the past couple of seasons. Keep in mind that half of his contract value is $4.13M/year, which is 3/4D territory and still at least competent, so don't go all nuts saying I'm a hater who thinks OEL is a bag of pucks.
OEL is playing way above half his contract. Get real man.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
You can't get a 3/4 D man for $4.13 mill. No doubt OEL is over paid by a few million but I think that comes with the structure of the CBA, UFAs get over paid. Guys don't exceed their UFA deals in value, its almost impossible. They get paid based on previous years in their prime, easy to under perform.

OEL's shooting % was 4%, Chych was at 10%. Chych lead the team in shots at 175, OEL took less than half as many shots. If you eliminate goals, OEL is the better player in all other areas and he got a crappy D partner all year the last few years too. With a different D partner, a better coach, more shots, and a better shooting %, OEL will look better on the stat sheet. I like Chych and who knows how good he will get or if he regresses a little next year.

I like that we have a solid 1D/2D on the left side. Lets get a 1RD and or a 2RD to play with OEL instead of the 3RD/AHLers he has been stuck with. Chych didn't look so good with Bush the other night either.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
You can't get a 3/4 D man for $4.13 mill. No doubt OEL is over paid by a few million but I think that comes with the structure of the CBA, UFAs get over paid. Guys don't exceed their UFA deals in value, its almost impossible. They get paid based on previous years in their prime, easy to under perform.

OEL's shooting % was 4%, Chych was at 10%. Chych lead the team in shots at 175, OEL took less than half as many shots. If you eliminate goals, OEL is the better player in all other areas and he got a crappy D partner all year the last few years too. With a different D partner, a better coach, more shots, and a better shooting %, OEL will look better on the stat sheet. I like Chych and who knows how good he will get or if he regresses a little next year.

I like that we have a solid 1D/2D on the left side. Lets get a 1RD and or a 2RD to play with OEL instead of the 3RD/AHLers he has been stuck with. Chych didn't look so good with Bush the other night either.

My point is that his results don't warrant his contract. Why that is is up to all sorts of interpretation, including yours.

I like OEL as a person, and I wish I knew why he's been in the rut he's been in for the past few years. But he's not playing at an elite level - you yourself just admitted it - while being paid at an elite level with an NMC. So the ROI is low, and he's underperforming his pay grade.

I hope he gets off the schneid and gets back to what he can be, whether it's because Tocchet is gone or he gets a better D partner or whatever, because then I'll have less reason to bitch about what he costs us.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I'd love for OEL to have a bounce back season. Last two games of the season was encouraging to see him partnered with Soderstrom. If he can be a great mentor for the kid for the next 2-3 seasons and help Soderstrom become a top pairing RHD that may be worth the additional cost of his contract alone.

Was his play better because he had a better partner? Maybe. Was it because he knew RT was about to get canned? Maybe. But it still doesn't mean that right now, this very minute without knowing what will happen to the roster that OEL is worth his contract.

I am much more willing to keep OEL with incoming coaching changes and the little bit we saw of the Swede pairing than I was on Thursday.

Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

cobra427

May 6, 2012
My point is that his results don't warrant his contract. Why that is is up to all sorts of interpretation, including yours.

I like OEL as a person, and I wish I knew why he's been in the rut he's been in for the past few years. But he's not playing at an elite level - you yourself just admitted it - while being paid at an elite level with an NMC. So the ROI is low, and he's underperforming his pay grade.

I hope he gets off the schneid and gets back to what he can be, whether it's because Tocchet is gone or he gets a better D partner or whatever, because then I'll have less reason to bitch about what he costs us.
I don't disagree with you. All I am saying is that in signing a UFA, you have nothing but downside, 75% of the time you just over paid, 24% of the time you get even money, 1% you under paid. OEL is 20-30% over paid, thats normal for a UFA contract.

Reactions: Kaizen

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'd love for OEL to have a bounce back season. Last two games of the season was encouraging to see him partnered with Soderstrom. If he can be a great mentor for the kid for the next 2-3 seasons and help Soderstrom become a top pairing RHD that may be worth the additional cost of his contract alone.

Was his play better because he had a better partner? Maybe. Was it because he knew RT was about to get canned? Maybe. But it still doesn't mean that right now, this very minute without knowing what will happen to the roster that OEL is worth his contract.

I am much more willing to keep OEL with incoming coaching changes and the little bit we saw of the Swede pairing than I was on Thursday.
OEL to have a bounce back season? Why the hell is everybody saying this? His P/PG were his career average. Gets paired with who ever is the last man standing, as in the past years, is an excellent passer and does all the small things that other D on our team can't do. The only negative about his game is that he has slowed a bit because of injury.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
OEL can't be captain moving forward. Whatever happens from there works for me.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002

His play has been better for more than just the last 2 games. He's been our best defenseman ever since that quote where he called himself out (which I consider to be more of a Tocchet quote). I've been questioning how poor Chychrun has been to end the season, clearly trying to do too much and it's not surprising to hear now that he's been shielding a wrist injury as well. Both OEL and Chychrun have basically ignored our coaching and played their own games.

OEL's pairing with Soderstrom has been a lot of fun to watch, both defensemen moving up the ice with real intent and ability. In defense they react to each other's movements intelligently, it's like they were attached by string at all times. I kinda still want OEL to have a proven and experienced defense partner like Adam Larsson to allow him full freedom. I dont think he'll get it though - Chychrun needs a solid partner more and Soderstrom needs an experienced partner, so OEL is third in line here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad