GDT: Game 56: Coyotes @ Golden Knights - 8PM - FSAZ

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Seems to me the way Galchenyuk is playing he should be on unit 1 but what do I know.
He has been our best forward for many games and has had multiple line mates during this time. Weal was good enough to play with him, but not Strome. :)Anyway, Chucky is playing with a lot of passion and has demonstrated he can play with anyone. Stepan and RT are joined at the hip, so Stepan will always be favored.

Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Here's the thing on Cousins though. As much as I'd like to re-sign him, who comes out of the lineup for him? We have too many forwards.

Under contract/likely to re-sign for next season:

1. Stepan
2. Galchenyuk
3. Hinostroza
4. Cousins (RFA)
5. Crouse (RFA)
6. Keller
7. Fischer
8. Bunting (RFA)
9. Kempe (UFA)
10. Garland (RFA)
11. Archibald (RFA)
12. Grabner
13. Richardson
14. Schmaltz (RFA)
15. Dvorak
16. Merkley

Add in a UFA winger and that's 17 guys, or 4 too many. Which 4 from the above are playing in Tucson to ensure Cousins a roster spot? Kempe and Archibald (on a two-way deal, if he'll accept one) gets you halfway there. Both Bunting and Merkley are knocking on the the door and may have outgrown Tucson by the fall. We have too many forwards which is why I think Chayka will trade a winger, perhaps another 2 for 1 deal.

Galchenyuk - Schmaltz - Keller/UFA
Keller/UFA - Stepan - Hinostroza/Fischer
Grabner - Dvorak - Garland
Crouse - Richardson - Cousins

1 spare and 3 in Tucson: Archibald, Kempe, Bunting, Merkley

We need the UFA winger (or trade addition) because we need more scoring. But there aren't enough slots on the wing for both Hino and Fischer. Makes me wonder if Chayka will trade Fischer and Merkley together (both Maloney picks).

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Seattle has to be a consideration soon too. Let's say we bring back everyone minus Panik and Weal.

Who are we protecting from expansion? Remembers it's either 7F 3D or 8 skaters of any combination. I assume we go the first route.

If we protect Stepan, Galchenyuk, UFA forward (Stone?), Schmaltz, Crouse, Keller, Dvorak, OEL, Chychrun, Capobianco ... this exposes:

Grabner
Hinostroza
Cousins
Merkley
Fischer
Bunting
Garland
Demers
Goligoski
Hjalmarsson

Are we then paying a high pick to not lose one of Hino/Fischer/Garland, etc?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Here's the thing on Cousins though. As much as I'd like to re-sign him, who comes out of the lineup for him? We have too many forwards.

1. Stepan
2. Galchenyuk
3. Hinostroza
4. Cousins (RFA)
5. Crouse (RFA)
6. Keller
7. Fischer
8. Bunting (RFA)
9. Kempe (UFA)
10. Garland (RFA)
11. Archibald (RFA)
12. Grabner
13. Richardson
14. Schmaltz (RFA)
15. Dvorak
16. Merkley

Add in a UFA winger and that's 17 guys, or 4 too many. Which 4 from the above are playing in Tucson to ensure Cousins a roster spot? Kempe and Archibald (on a two-way deal, if he'll accept one) gets you halfway there. Both Bunting and Merkley are knocking on the the door and may have outgrown Tucson by the fall. We have too many forwards which is why I think Chayka will trade a winger, perhaps another 2 for 1 deal.

We need the UFA winger (or trade addition) because we need more scoring. But there aren't enough slots on the wing for both Hino and Fischer. Makes me wonder if Chayka will trade Fischer and Merkley together (both Maloney picks).
I think it will be a two for one trade also.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Seattle has to be a consideration soon too. Let's say we bring back everyone minus Panik and Weal.

Who are we protecting from expansion? Remembers it's either 7F 3D or 8 skaters of any combination. I assume we go the first route.

If we protect Stepan, Galchenyuk, UFA forward (Stone?), Schmaltz, Crouse, Keller, Dvorak, OEL, Chychrun, Capobianco ... this exposes:

Grabner
Hinostroza
Cousins
Merkley
Fischer
Bunting
Garland
Demers
Goligoski
Hjalmarsson

Are we then paying a high pick to not lose one of Hino/Fischer/Garland, etc?
Stepan's contract expires in 2021, he's probably not resigned if the younger centers like Dvo and Hayton develop. That opens one spot.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017

1. Stepan
2. Galchenyuk
3. Hinostroza
4. Cousins (RFA)
5. Crouse (RFA)
6. Keller
7. Fischer
8. Bunting (RFA)
9. Kempe (UFA)
10. Garland (RFA)
11. Archibald (RFA)
12. Grabner
13. Richardson
14. Schmaltz (RFA)
15. Dvorak
16. Merkley

Personally, my impression with the Vegas draft was, the more teams tried to fight it- the worse they ended up.

I think the strategy should be to accept you lose a good player.

Just accept it.

The only thing is to not give out NMCs like candy, so you can decide which contracts are really good in the week before the protection-list should be sent in.

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Stepan's contract expires in 2021, he's probably not resigned if the younger centers like Dvo and Hayton develop. That opens one spot.
Not worth a high pick to protect one of Hino, Fischer but I would like to protect Garland.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg

1. Stepan
2. Galchenyuk
3. Hinostroza
4. Cousins (RFA)
5. Crouse (RFA)
6. Keller
7. Fischer
8. Bunting (RFA)
9. Kempe (UFA)
10. Garland (RFA)
11. Archibald (RFA)
12. Grabner
13. Richardson
14. Schmaltz (RFA)
15. Dvorak
16. Merkley

12 roster F's and 2 in the press box. Of the 16 you listed, just 2 would be in the AHL when everyone is healthy. Cousins is clearly above Kempe, Archibald and Bunting. I like him more than Crouse too. I hope Cousins is back next year. He's sticky.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I mean I guess it makes sense. Fischer has been invisible. Lol

When we trade Panik we can put Fischer in somewhere. Archibald has outplayed him lately

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad