GDT: Game 56: Columbus at Pittsburgh | 2/19 7PM EST | NBCSN

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
LOL... I'm sorry - I admire your hope but, I don't think ALL the teams in front of us are out of gas. The Caps are still going strong, the Pens will rebound, and the Bruins are due to get things going in the right direction - its not like we're talking about the Leafs here.

We aren't catching the Caps or Pens, NYI, NYR so I could care less what they do or how they are playing. I care about Boston and Florida and they both have a brutal week starting tonight and aren't playing good at all. Who says Boston is due to right the ship? I saw an article yesterday that they're captain is available in trade, I think they continue to free fall and we end up chasing Florida, who is over achieving because Luongo is playing lights out, at least the games I've watched he's been good.

The one good thing about so many guys injured early in the year, they are fresh now, in mid-season form when other bubble teams are playing with heavy legs. You can see it in the games, our guys don't run out of gas in the third, even in back to backs and other teams are fighting it. We are being more physical, pushing guys off the puck and Boone is going to light it up when he comes back!

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Taking each teams last 10 games, we have picked up 1 point on Boston and actually lost 2 pts to Florida. While I admire your enthusiasm and strong belief that goes to show how hard it is to make up points unless the other team completely tanks.

If the Jackets play like they did last night and Bob comes back as strong as C-Mac (that's weird isn't it?) I can see how we could make a run. I just think they are just destined to screw up their draft position.

Because higher drafted players always work out to be better players than lower drafted players in the same round?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Because higher drafted players always work out to be better players than lower drafted players in the same round?

Not always just usually. See Ovechkin vs Picard to support my case.

See Weber vs Fritsche (and probably Zherdev too now that I think about it) to support yours.

I get where you're coming from but stats are on my side.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I care about Boston and Florida and they both have a brutal week starting tonight and aren't playing good at all

We're in the midst of 4 games in 6 nights - ALL ON THE ROAD. Cool, NHL. Not to mention the team has to clear customs before playing in New York Sunday.

Get the 4 in 6 next week as well - but at least three are at home.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Not always just usually. See Ovechkin vs Picard to support my case.

See Weber vs Fritsche (and probably Zherdev too now that I think about it) to support yours.

I get where you're coming from but stats are on my side.

I would also add Datsyuk was a 6th rounder? and Zetterberg 7th? Actually they were both at the end of each of those rounds

Last edited:

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
We're in the midst of 4 games in 6 nights - ALL ON THE ROAD. Cool, NHL. Not to mention the team has to clear customs before playing in New York Sunday.

Get the 4 in 6 next week as well - but at least three are at home.

We are better on the road than at home, so that doesn't scare me. Remember the 6 game west coast road trip 2 years ago that everyone thought would end the season? They won 5 out of 6 if memory serves. When I played I LOVED playing on the road, bonds the team together, keeps their focus solely on the games. I'm not worried about the road games at all.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
We are better on the road than at home, so that doesn't scare me. Remember the 6 game west coast road trip 2 years ago that everyone thought would end the season? They won 5 out of 6 if memory serves. When I played I LOVED playing on the road, bonds the team together, keeps their focus solely on the games. I'm not worried about the road games at all.

I, too, am overwhelmed by the amount of things to do and see in Columbus winters.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I would also add Datsyuk was a 6th rounder? and Zetterberg 7th? Actually they were both at the end of each of those rounds

blind-squirrel-md.png

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Actually the Wings have a history of finding players deep in the draft so I wouldn't exactly say they got lucky with them. Maybe lucky because they are both possible Hall of Famers, but they find lots of quality players deep in the draft.

Don't disagree that they are pretty good at late rounders. But history says there are more success stories the higher up you draft. Or lower if you view picking first lower. That's all.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Don't disagree that they are pretty good at late rounders. But history says there are more success stories the higher up you draft. Or lower if you view picking first lower. That's all.

Well of course, but this is why I don't even worry about the draft during the season, we'll land where we land and go from there. I want to win every single game until we are mathematically eliminated, and then I probably still want to win because it's good for free agency and good for the young guys to not be in a losing culture and getting the mentality that so many of our young guys got in the past and stunted their development. I also want them to have something to build off of in the off season in case they don't make the playoffs. No player wants to limp to the finish line and have a depressing off season. I know, as a fan, I certainly don't want that. So I just never understand rooting for draft position, the difference in the 5 pick vs. the 10 pick isn't significant enough in any draft to overcome the detriment that a losing culture has on the current players and potential free agents that won't want to come here. Just my opinion

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
We aren't catching the Caps or Pens, NYI, NYR so I could care less what they do or how they are playing. I care about Boston and Florida and they both have a brutal week starting tonight and aren't playing good at all. Who says Boston is due to right the ship? I saw an article yesterday that they're captain is available in trade, I think they continue to free fall and we end up chasing Florida, who is over achieving because Luongo is playing lights out, at least the games I've watched he's been good.

The one good thing about so many guys injured early in the year, they are fresh now, in mid-season form when other bubble teams are playing with heavy legs. You can see it in the games, our guys don't run out of gas in the third, even in back to backs and other teams are fighting it. We are being more physical, pushing guys off the puck and Boone is going to light it up when he comes back!

Chara is old and pretty much a non-factor at this point. Him being on the block doesn't mean much.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Chara is old and pretty much a non-factor at this point. Him being on the block doesn't mean much.

You don't trade your captain if you are serious about a playoff run. Remember when we were 5 points out at the deadline and traded Foote? I know it was his own doing and all, but we tanked after that.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
You don't trade your captain if you are serious about a playoff run. Remember when we were 5 points out at the deadline and traded Foote? I know it was his own doing and all, but we tanked after that.

The Bruins traded/gave up Seguin, they're crazy like that ;)

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
The Bruins traded/gave up Seguin, they're crazy like that ;)

They are crazy like that, but they traded him in the summer and he wasn't their captain. I just can't imagine they are looking to trade Chara at the deadline if they are hoping for a playoff run, but I guess anything could happen.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
They are crazy like that, but they traded him in the summer and he wasn't their captain. I just can't imagine they are looking to trade Chara at the deadline if they are hoping for a playoff run, but I guess anything could happen.

I can't imagine buying into any trade rumor articles right now :D

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Well of course, but this is why I don't even worry about the draft during the season, we'll land where we land and go from there. I want to win every single game until we are mathematically eliminated, and then I probably still want to win because it's good for free agency and good for the young guys to not be in a losing culture and getting the mentality that so many of our young guys got in the past and stunted their development. I also want them to have something to build off of in the off season in case they don't make the playoffs. No player wants to limp to the finish line and have a depressing off season. I know, as a fan, I certainly don't want that. So I just never understand rooting for draft position, the difference in the 5 pick vs. the 10 pick isn't significant enough in any draft to overcome the detriment that a losing culture has on the current players and potential free agents that won't want to come here. Just my opinion

I pretty much share this attitude.

thebus2288*

I hadn't noticed until this morning, but Tyuts got assists on both goals, last night. The second was the nice chip off the wall to set Matty off on the fly, but I don't remember what he might have done on the first. Did he help Wennberg get the puck off the wall on the hard-around?

HAHA I let it go until today to see if anybody would mention Tyutin. Thank you for saying "something". Wennberg did make a nice pass on the 1st goal. However, in the NHL you should be able to complete it. I will mention I liked how he "led" Hartnell closer to the slot. But Wennberg's passing is 1 thing we all know he's good at. The decision making on the 2 on 1 or 2 on 2 with Hartnell just before that is a perfect example of what he needs to work on. Also the McHin save on Crosby, Wennberg and Johansen were all over the place. This seems to happen with Wennberg on the ice a lot. It just does.

I just find it interesting all the love Wennberg got for the 1st goal when tradebait Tyutin made the play. Both goals actually were "all" Tyutin. If he doesn't make the play he does, they don't happen. He didn't "help" Wennberg get it off the wall. He stopped it going around and chip passed it right to him.

Again, I just find it very interesting that the play/pass(to a lot of you) seems to be proof that he's "ready" or that without him that pass isn't made, when the guy who actually made the "hard" play or initial play to keep it in and even get the puck to the bluechipper isn't even mentioned till the next day asking what he even did.

Tyutin "won" us that game last night and I'm pretty sure he wasn't mentioned 1 time in the GDT, until someone had to ask "what" he did...

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Going 13-13 instead of 20-4-2 is not going to instill a losing culture. Jumpin' Jiminee's.

Buffalo, Edmonton have losing cultures. The Jackets had one; they don't anymore and won't regardless of ho wthis season finishes up.

And for this particular draft there is more on the line than 5 vs 10. There is a better chance to win the lottery. And for those of you who don't believe the unanimity of the scouts let's check back in a few years and see if he didn't make a big difference with whoever drafts him. (Although I have my doubts Edmonton will ever get better until they change their "brain" trust.)

thebus2288*

If your "goal" is to finish low enough to get a "legit' chance at winning the lottery to get Eichel or McDavid, yeah I think you're going to be disappointed.

I'd say we have a better chance at making the playoffs than getting a top 3 pick.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
If your "goal" is to finish low enough to get a "legit' chance at winning the lottery to get Eichel or McDavid, yeah I think you're going to be disappointed.

I'd say we have a better chance at making the playoffs than getting a top 3 pick.
even if we finish in the bottom 3, which would be tough enough, I think there'd still be a 50%+ chance that someone outside of the top 3 wins the lottery and bumps us out

so yeah, you're probably right about that last sentence

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
^Agreed. Ship has sailed on a bottom 3 finish. Too many prideful vets and enough skill healthy now for that not to happen. Plus Cmac has stepped up huge the last 12 games.

Four impact games this weekend. First one tonight (BOS @ STL) and then we'll see what happens. Bob is due back next week, Boone is more concerning but whatever. If, if we can cut the deficit to below 8 by the deadline I will be really curious to see what Jarmo does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad