GDT: Game 56: Canucks @ Avs | Tuesday, February 9th, 7pm MT | Ready to Riot

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Well, I hate to say it because it was a cheap shot from Eakin but the injury bug was going to bite Skille eventually. Last time he played 50+ games in a single season was 2010-2011 when he split time between Chicago and Florida. He's only played 70+ games twice in his 9-year professional career (07-08 and 09-10). Hope he has a speedy recovery.

Really would like to see Everberg replace Martinsen in the lineup. Everberg can kill penalties really well, is fearless blocking shots, and he almost always makes the smart play that can sometimes go unnoticed during a game. The way this team panics with the puck that would be a welcome addition, even if only in a 4th line role (though I'd play him on the 3rd).

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Call up Everberg and Rantanen, send down Marty

Rantanen - MacKinnon - Duchene
Landeskog - Soderberg - Comeau
Tanguay - Grigorenko - Everberg
McLeod - Mitchell - Iginla
Wagner

I was thinking,

Greg - MacK - Duchy
Landy - Soda - Mikko
McLeod - Mitchell - Comeau
Tanguay - Wagner - Iginla

But that's probably more realistic even with two call ups instead of one haha.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think we see Everberg until after the roster limits are lifted, and only then maybe. Roy didn't seem too happy with him last time he was up. I'd have him in the lineup over Marty though.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I must be the only one who comes to these boards who doesn't mind them allowing him to play in the AHL for the rest of the year. Same with Zadorov.

I was this way a few months ago. I've changed my opinion wince than because of how dominant Rantanen's been and how bad our top 9 wingers are. I also feel that we should give him a taste of the league and see if he's going to be a key piece for us next season or if we need to look elsewhere for wing help this offseason. If he doesn't prove good enough after a few games we can always send him back without hurting his development. He'd be able to learn what works in the NHL and what he needs to work on.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
This week is pivotal if we don't want to waste this year with a pointless run at the postseason. 5 or more points this week and our shot at Laine disappears.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Man a huge win would be so nice to right the ship a bit here. Like a 7-1 , 6-3 win. Give Mack a couple, EJ , Grigs, Dutchy

But they probably lose 4-1 getting outshot 45-24

twostroke27

Oct 12, 2011
I was this way a few months ago. I've changed my opinion wince than because of how dominant Rantanen's been and how bad our top 9 wingers are. I also feel that we should give him a taste of the league and see if he's going to be a key piece for us next season or if we need to look elsewhere for wing help this offseason. If he doesn't prove good enough after a few games we can always send him back without hurting his development. He'd be able to learn what works in the NHL and what he needs to work on.

I totally agree that our top nine wingers are brutal. I guess from my stand point, we are able to do that at the beginning of next year.

I guess I personally don't really think we should go into training camp expecting a 19 year old to crack the top six regardless how he does over in the remaining part of the season. It's dangerous to do that in my opinion.

I'd like to see proper long term development over rushing him through just because we may or may not make the playoffs this year. I just really believe in development being better for players over the long course.

Even if he were to come up, I'd like to see him in a third line role concentrating on his defensive game (kind of like ROR did his first year).

That's just me though. Like I said, I wouldn't be mad if he got called up. Just something i think would be beneficial to Rants long term success in the league.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Man a huge win would be so nice to right the ship a bit here. Like a 7-1 , 6-3 win. Give Mack a couple, EJ , Grigs, Dutchy

But they probably lose 4-1 getting outshot 45-24

I'm really curious if being pissed off about losing is enough for this team to come out strong against a team below them in the standings. Losses have not been enough previously in the season.

If we make Vancouver look like Chicago, there is a serious issue with the competitive attitude for the team.

I'll lose my mind if they get out played like that against this team.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Meh I dont know. I know he's just dominating but The AHL is a different league ,he needs another taste just to see where he's at, like a test. a pop quiz if you will.

I know roster spaces have to be worked out but i hope he can get another look THIS year.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I totally agree that our top nine wingers are brutal. I guess from my stand point, we are able to do that at the beginning of next year.

I guess I personally don't really think we should go into training camp expecting a 19 year old to crack the top six regardless how he does over in the remaining part of the season. It's dangerous to do that in my opinion.

I'd like to see proper long term development over rushing him through just because we may or may not make the playoffs this year. I just really believe in development being better for players over the long course.

Even if he were to come up, I'd like to see him in a third line role concentrating on his defensive game (kind of like ROR did his first year).

That's just me though. Like I said, I wouldn't be mad if he got called up. Just something i think would be beneficial to Rants long term success in the league.

If he can't play top 6 wing then we need to go out and get two top 6 wingers and I don't think we have that luxury. I guess Comeau could do it for another year too.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Meh I dont know. The AHL is a different league. I know he's just dominating but The AHL is a different league ,he needs another taste just to see where he's at, like a test. a pop quiz if you will.

I know roster spaces have to be worked out but i hope he can get another look THIS year.

It's not the points for me, it's how he impacts the game. How he makes other players better, how he turns it up at key moments, how he can take the game over at times. It's not like he's mistake free or that he's just going to light it up with the Avs, it's that he's a special player and he would make a difference on this team. Even if it's getting the puck out of the zone or making a great pass, he would help this team.

twostroke27

Oct 12, 2011
If he can't play top 6 wing then we need to go out and get two top 6 wingers and I don't think we have that luxury. I guess Comeau could do it for another year too.

I suppose that's true. The avs have themselves in kind of a weird spot. Lots of centers, good d help on the way and a complete and total lack of skilled wingers. I'd still rather see Comeau in the top six and not rush rant just because we don't have the luxury.

Again, that's me though. In my opinion if Rants is as good as everyone thinks, he'll add some secondary scoring even on the third line. I highly doubt his offensive game is quite so dominant in the NHL initially. Play to his strength initially and let the offense come.+

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
They aren't going to call someone up and not play him.

If this was in response to me, I was saying that if they tried to call someone up this afternoon, they'd either not make it in gametime, or just barely arrive, and could still be scratched for tonight's game. Thus, leaving them no real reason to call someone up RIGHT now, as they just put Skille on IR today.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Or one more loss closer to Rantanen

And risk a pointless playoff run!? We're not yet cup contenders and so shouldn't start picking up PO experience, so no way you call up Rantanen and risk him helping us win games. Certainly not now, when we're already so far out of a top 3 pick. The team has had it's fun, but now it's time to get serious about achieving it's goals for this season so that the year won't be a total waste.

*gah* Sometimes I really wish I knew better than to tell people in real-life, who know nothing about my teams, what teams I like. Cause goddamn are casual fans of other clubs infuriating when they start lecturing on and on about what this organization, that they know nothing about, should be doing. *sigh* today was as annoying as that time a buffalonian at the soccer bar decided to convince me that we should trade Stastny for Ryan Miller, and then dump Varly for futures to help us rebuild.

If he's called up and shows what he can do at the NHL level I wouldn't worry. It was fine when we did it with Landeskog and MacKinnon because they had shown they were ready for it. And if Mikko's called up and given a good run of games, he is certainly capable of proving that he's ready for it to.

I would love to have him and Greg get to play on the third line together with Mitchell, one of the two corses, or (in a perfect world) Comeau. But unfortunately our top-6 depth is so bad that we're gunna be out of options for the top line if Greg doesn't work out at that spot, nevermind bumping Comeau down to form an excellent third line. Rantanen is arguably the most dominant player in the AHL right now, on a crap team, that's already seen an absurd amount of key guys get injured this season; he's ready to come up. We're very close to the point where that's what's he needs to keep his development going better than anyone could even dream it would; like it has been since he returned from last year's WJC and went PPG for the rest of the Liiga season; not just for our playoff hopes. And if he's up here it's very likely that it doesn't take him very many games to displace Comeau or Grigorenko in the top 6 unless we make a trade.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
If this was in response to me, I was saying that if they tried to call someone up this afternoon, they'd either not make it in gametime, or just barely arrive, and could still be scratched for tonight's game. Thus, leaving them no real reason to call someone up RIGHT now, as they just put Skille on IR today.

No it wasn't, more of why they would go with only 12 forwards. I do agree and also with Hench that the timing of the road trip and all, the b2b you'd think they wouldn't want to be short AFTER tonight, for now they have what they need for the game. Roy has done that before saying they won't call anyone up and then they do. But I also mean in general, they don't call guys up just to make sure they are carrying 23 all the time either.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
"Gym Day"?
lol wouldnt that be so awesome from your boss
"Hey why dont you take a gym day today and ill see ya tomorrow"

Just excuses to play Vey over him honestly. But nobody accused the Canucks of having smart management.

Nonetheless, good luck guys. You have a good team, and an even better city.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
...not sure I like this whole "friendly Vancouver fan" thing we've got going on here. I wouldn't want to start getting confused and not hate the Nucks for those final years of the NW division...

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Man 50 games into the season and our threads (with good reason) are still filled with potential lines even though there aren't really any injury issues. That's not a good sign.

I look forward to the Canucks games tbh because of the Sedin's, just too cool to watch and it's gonna be a sad day when they retire. They're one of the most unique things in this generation fo hockey.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
lol

It is odd not playing them all the time ...
And the Big ugly team in red.. as well

Go Avs .... I am watching mini go Dallas"cough" my hope could increase if mini loses

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I'm going to Reto Berra myself because I'm bored and practicing juggling until the game starts.

It's probably a negative that I can only juggle with one foot.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Man 50 games into the season and our threads (with good reason) are still filled with potential lines even though there aren't really any injury issues. That's not a good sign.

I look forward to the Canucks games tbh because of the Sedin's, just too cool to watch and it's gonna be a sad day when they retire. They're one of the most unique things in this generation fo hockey.

It's a game of musical chairs where a few of the older chairs don't have proper legs anymore, so the game doesn't really work as it should.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad