GDT: Game 56: Canadiens @ Coyotes - 2/15/16 - 7PM

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Maybe nobody wanted Downie at 1.75M. Different scenario if a team can take him while sending back Chad Johnson (1.6M), for example.

The tricky part is that Don Maloney already said that Louis Domingue is sticking in the NHL. He's earned that right. So we already have one extra goalie. What do when Smith returns and we have all of Smith, Domingue, Lindback, and Johnson (for example)? While also needing to find minutes for Treutle and Langhamer. Do we pay NHL money for Lindback and Johnson to both play in the AHL while sending the young goalies to a lesser league (ECHL)?

There is something like 25 gms left this year, so I see no panic for a goalie. Lindback will be gone and next year will be Smith and Domingue. Because of injury I don't think Lindback plays another game for the Yotes.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
With Lindback on LTIR, I suppose we could swap Boedker for someone who makes 4.5 million to keep within our budget

Last edited:

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Chip has played like Chip this year. Works hard, has lots of speed, plays with a lot of heart, and doesn't seem to know what to do with the puck when it's near his stick.

Last night, his saucer pass to Connauton was astonishing. No other word for it. It boggled the mind. You start to wonder why, if he's capable of trickery on that level, why he can't muster it more often.

It's a VERY difficult game. Having said that, there wasn't anything astonishing about that pass imo, he had time and space and made a heads up play. Normally Chip is fighting so hard for time and space, that he has little chance of completing anything, given his skillset.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Having said that, there wasn't anything astonishing about that pass imo, he had time and space and made a heads up play.

I dunno, making a saucer pass over the outstretched stick of a defender who is coming down onto the ice right in front of your skates is a bit beyond the standard hockey play in my eyes, but maybe I'm overthinking it because IT WAS KYLE CHIPCHURA DOING IT. :sarcasm:

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I dunno, making a saucer pass over the outstretched stick of a defender who is coming down onto the ice right in front of your skates is a bit beyond the standard hockey play in my eyes, but maybe I'm overthinking it because IT WAS KYLE CHIPCHURA DOING IT. :sarcasm:

I just watched it again, it was pretty impressive.... particularly given it was Chip. :)

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
With Lindback on LTIR, I suppose we could swap Boedker for someone who makes 4.5 million to keep within our budget

We are still paying Lindback. Insurance won't cover full amount (if any). We also now have to pay whomever we call up.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Smith will be back shortly and with Boedker going into the proverbial goal scoring dry spell, it makes more sense to trade him at this point.

Don't want to spend $4+ million on someone who can't hit the 20-goal mark consistently

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Smith will be back shortly and with Boedker going into the proverbial goal scoring dry spell, it makes more sense to trade him at this point.

Don't want to spend $4+ million on someone who can't hit the 20-goal mark consistently

Its just crazy to think that he's pretty much already been replaced on the depth chart by rookies. at this point his inconsistent streaks are not worth keeping at the price he is seeking. He's not a liability but he's really not too big a threat either. I'd really just rather have the extra 1st round pick +B prospect or whatever he returns.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Its just crazy to think that he's pretty much already been replaced on the depth chart by rookies. at this point his inconsistent streaks are not worth keeping at the price he is seeking. He's not a liability but he's really not too big a threat either. I'd really just rather have the extra 1st round pick +B prospect or whatever he returns.

Agreed, now the only problem is that we really don't have another RW to replace him with, seeing as all of our rookies coming are LH and don't play the right side.

We've got Duclair (LH playing RW), Fischer and Merkley and that is about it on the Right side of the ice.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Boedker is replaceable...and really we need to take the savings from Doan's reduction in $ and Boedkers salary and get us a D that can help.

We need a better D than we do keeping Bods. We've got to give the kids some help on the backend. OEL can't do it all by himself.

Murphy has proven and getting better now that he's playing with OEL, but he's still not a #2 D and having him play 2nd pairing would be for his benefit and the Yotes GAA

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I don't hate Boedker, I just grieve a little bit for the player who I thought he would turn out to be, but never did.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Bods is a double edged sword. His scoring slump likely effects what we are willing to pay him but also effects his market value at the TDL. It could effect his UFA value. If he is traded at the TDL, his performance the last 20 games could work against him. If his slump continues, I will bet we sign him.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Montreal Canadians 2004 1st Round pick Kyle Chipchura....:naughty:

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Sure be nice to pencil in Laine into the lineup at RW for the next 10-15 years.
Sure would, love to have Laine.......but this isn't a bad foundation:

Domi-Strome-Duclair
Rieder-Dvorak-Fischer
Martinook-MacInnis-Merkley
Perlini-Letunov-Garland
Gaudet
Dauphin
Bunting

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I don't hate Boedker, I just grieve a little bit for the player who I thought he would turn out to be, but never did.

I think he could still get better in the right system playing with a scoring center. Just don't like the chances of that happening here. Would suck to lose another offensive player we drafted but might be inevitable at this point.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I think he could still get better in the right system playing with a scoring center. Just don't like the chances of that happening here. Would suck to lose another offensive player we drafted but might be inevitable at this point.

I think Boedker would be excellent on a more offensive-minded team where he doesn't have to focus as much on defense. He'd also be strong as a second liner elsewhere.

Why we draft offensive players is beyond me (with Tipp as head coach). Hopefully Tipp won't be here by the time many of our "future coyotes" are ready for NHL ice-time. We should stick to drafting Defensive D-men and D-minded forwards from here on out :sarcasm:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I think Boedker would be excellent on a more offensive-minded team where he doesn't have to focus as much on defense. He'd also be strong as a second liner elsewhere.

I think Mikkel's best shot for success would come on a team where his linemates were able to create space for him in the offensive zone. Few players are deadlier than Boedker is when he's not under pressure. With our board battle mentality and general inability to penetrate the zone, he's had a hard time capitalizing on his skill.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

When you hoist the Cup, no one cares how many players on the ice you drafted. :nod:

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

Why we draft offensive players is beyond me (with Tipp as head coach). Hopefully Tipp won't be here by the time many of our "future coyotes" are ready for NHL ice-time. We should stick to drafting Defensive D-men and D-minded forwards from here on out :sarcasm:

WAIT..,is your entire comment sarcasm? Cuz I was getting ready to trash it.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
WAIT..,is your entire comment sarcasm? Cuz I was getting ready to trash it.

Just the second part; feel free to trash away on him being better suited for a more offensive team playing on the second line for the rest of this season :)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Bods is a double edged sword. His scoring slump likely effects what we are willing to pay him but also effects his market value at the TDL. It could effect his UFA value. If he is traded at the TDL, his performance the last 20 games could work against him. If his slump continues, I will bet we sign him.

I don't think it will effect his price that DM is willing to give. He has been the same player with the same inconsistency for the last number of years, but it may effect his UFA value. Every year we go through this same BS from Boedker and it just kills me why he can not be more consistent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad