Pre-Game Talk: Game #56 2/9 7PM - Sharks at BRUINS - The Dawn of Butch Cassidy and the Zamboni Kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZLL

Oct 20, 2015
Whitman, MA
Washington in the first round would be awesome. Being an underdog 8th seed playing pressure free with no expectations against a team notorious for choking in the playoffs? That would be awesome!

And as for last year, we had just as good a chance as anybody. Pittsburgh won it for Christ sake. Selling off because we are afraid of teams we have swept in the regular season? Talk about fear of competition. I don't understand that mentality. Competing is what it's all about. These guys that want to waive the white flag and not even try befuddle me. What kind of fan thinks like that?

I could not agree more. I think your last couple of posts articulate really well how I'm feeling but I didn't know how to sum it up.

They should always be out there to win, neglecting the future is not mutually exclusive to this. I never want to see them give up on a season, which is part of the reason the Claude firing irks me. If they fail to the make the playoffs, I absolutely would have understood moving on, but right now it feels like adding more uncertainty. There's no doubt there have been issues and change has been needed. Fingers crossed that this change is as motivating as the players are alluding to at this moment and we know this kind of change can make a big difference, so we'll see.

I love the Bruins, I feel like it's in my blood. I know it's not exactly your point, Fonz, but I can't stand the fan who would rather bemoan everything than look for the positive and try to enjoy and root for their team. I tune out my friends that only text me when there's a bad play/bad game. It's not worth it if I'm not enjoying it. I root as hard as I can during the game, if they loose I move on, but when they win I have a blast. I highly recommend this approach. Of course there's plenty of room for criticism and holding our team accountable, but it's totally useless to me to be a negative fan, defeats the purpose for me.

Looking forward to getting some shoveling done and sitting down for the game. Go Bs!

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I don't want playoff hockey and then getting spanked in round 1 by a much better team.

That is a cause I will never get behind.

Absolutely spot on. Been there, done that and found it a waste of time & effort to watch. Go deep or go golfing after Game #82

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
How many times have the Bruins shot from outside on the perimeter the last couple of years ? Too often to mention . It will be interesting to see as others have mentioned if they have the skill and grittiness to implement what Cassidy wants them to do ; work it down low .

The only Bruins I've seen this year doing that with any regularity is Backes & Schaller. Nobody else has had the stones to take the abuse that comes from regularly positioning yourself on the doorstep of the net.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
This game needs to be cancelled - do it

Given the absolute crap show this team has been in terms of doing things right, I'm looking forward to JJ saying --

1) "Look, the schedule is just not workable. SJ is a West Coast team and are here in town. Practically we have no options. The game will play tonight. We encourage our fans to make it if they can safely. If not, please watch on TV."

2) "However, because the Governor and the Mayor have instituted things like a state of emergency, parking bans, and asked citizens to stay off the roads we are going to give all fans who have a valid ticket, but no way of getting to the game, a credit of the face value of their tickets to be used against future games/purchases. Hold on to your tickets -- we'll treat you right."

#1 -- I'd bet money on it and I actually sympathize with the scheduling issue.
#2 -- I'd be willing to stand naked under the Bobby Orr statue tonight and let fans drill me with snowballs if this happened!:laugh:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Absolutely spot on. Been there, done that and found it a waste of time & effort to watch. Go deep or go golfing after Game #82

You guys must forget or not appreciate 2007-2008.

Which helped the Bruins more?

Going down swinging against a heavily favored Montreal team in Round 1?

or

Going out with a whimper and their tail between their legs with a playoff DNQ in 2007?

Because it's 2008's finish, every single time.

Getting guys like Pastrnak and Carlo playoff experience will help this club far more than selecting 7th overall in a weak draft as oppose to 15th.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
You guys must forget or not appreciate 2007-2008.

Which helped the Bruins more?

Going down swinging against a heavily favored Montreal team in Round 1?

or

Going out with a whimper and their tail between their legs with a playoff DNQ in 2007?

Because it's 2008's finish, every single time.

Getting guys like Pastrnak and Carlo playoff experience will help this club far more than selecting 7th overall in a weak draft as oppose to 15th.

If our option is 9th or 10th vs 8th seed, I don't see why anyone wouldn't want us to make it. Even if the B's were last in the East right now, they'd still only be picking 5th in a weaker draft. I think the experience is more important (although I wouldn't look at adding rentals to make the playoffs).

Like you said, win or lose getting guys like Pasta and Carlo experience is fantastic. To add to it having vets like Marchand/Bergy/Chara/Krech back into the playoffs may also rejuvenate them a little more and give them a taste of what they've missed the past 2 years.

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If our option is 9th or 10th vs 8th seed, I don't see why anyone wouldn't want us to make it. Even if the B's were last in the East right now, they'd still only be picking 5th in a week draft. I think the experience is more important (although I wouldn't look at adding rentals to make the playoffs).

Like you said, win or lose getting guys like Pasta and Carlo experience is fantastic. To add to it having vets like Marchand/Bergy/Chara/Krech back into the playoffs may also rejuvenate them a little more and give them a taste of what they've missed the past 2 years.

Absolutely.

This organization needs something positive to happen.

Now if Boston was trending towards a 1st overall pick, I can see why some would want them to go off a cliff the rest of the way.

But picking in the bottom half of the top 14 vs. picking 15th or 16th, I'd prefer 15th or 16th + the playoff experience + positive finish knowing they battled their way to a finish very few are expecting right now.

There is also a part of me that would love to see Boston meet a heavily favored No.1 seed like Pittsburgh or Washington, upset them in Round 1, and tell the rest of the hockey world to go eat ****.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Butch Cassidy and the Zamboni Kids! :laugh::handclap:
Funniest thing I've heard all day.

I am shocked and chagrinned at some long time posters here saying that the whole team can **** off and hoping they lose big.

It's ok, you've got your rights to feel that way, and I support that, even though I don't share that view.

I understand the anger towards management, but to me, that doesn't extend to the guys at ice level, never did. Despite my feelings toward Sinden, I never once rooted for Orr, Taz, Bourque, Neely, Oates, or Thornton, et all. to fail.

I hold out little hope for a playoff birth, or given that, playoff success, but I want to see how the players respond. I'm not even looking at Ws or Ls at this point.

I'm never angry at the players when they play their hearts out and lose, but I'm P***zzed off when they don't bring the effort, which means I've been p***zzed off for the better part of 4 years.

I've laid as much blame on the players as I have anyone else, and now we're gonna find out for sure how much roster change is necessary.

Sink or swim.

Swim? :laugh: The fall will prolly kill ya!

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
the sharks must already be in town right. so no way they cancel

What they should do is play the game, and basically tell the fans to stay away and refund all tickets.

Sure you need a skeleton crew of people (Zamboni ) etc there, and you get them there now, and basically put them up in a hotel overnight

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

I am shocked and chagrinned at some long time posters here saying that the whole team can **** off and hoping they lose big.

It's ok, you've got your rights to feel that way, and I support that, even though I don't share that view.

I understand the anger towards management, but to me, that doesn't extend to the guys at ice level, never did. Despite my feelings toward Sinden, I never once rooted for Orr, Taz, Bourque, Neely, Oates, or Thornton, et all. to fail.

I hold out little hope for a playoff birth, or given that, playoff success, but I want to see how the players respond. I'm not even looking at Ws or Ls at this point.

I'm never angry at the players when they play their hearts out and lose, but I'm P***zzed off when they don't bring the effort, which means I've been p***zzed off for the better part of 4 years.

I've laid as much blame on the players as I have anyone else, and now we're gonna find out for sure how much roster change is necessary.

Sink or swim.

I feel everyone should read this.

It wasn't the player's or Cassidy's choice to fire Julien or hold the conference on a certain day. Hate management all you want right now, but as a fan base we should be behind the players and the new coach to win games.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I feel everyone should read this.

It wasn't the player's or Cassidy's choice to fire Julien or hold the conference on a certain day. Hate management all you want right now, but as a fan base we should be behind the players and the new coach to win games.

Id say if you don't like they way things are with the Bruins do us all a favor and go root for something else and stop the crying about it just do it and go away. We will see you on the rebound I'm sure of it.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Id say if you don't like they way things are with the Bruins do us all a favor and go root for something else and stop the crying about it just do it and go away. We will see you on the rebound I'm sure of it.

Nah, there are a lot of true blue Bruins fans who are angry right now, and for good reason.

This is a good place to blow off steam, and to P & M among other fans and in some cases friends.

If we can pom-pom wave during the good times, we can complain during the bad.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site

Sink or swim.

A playoff birth? Looking more and more like a death watch.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
I'm really interested to see how the TOI shakes outwith Cassidy coaching. I also wonder if we'll be seeing the 4th line out there with a minute and half on the clock

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
Matt Beleskey ‏@Matt_Beleskey Feb 7

Watching this parade gives me chills. Going to do anything to win a championship for this city. #nodaysoff

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
They are probably going to get their ***** kicked, and I won't care either way.

LOL. The Bruins lost 10 out of their last 14 games last season. Teams that do that have zero shot in the playoffs. Zero.

The Penguins won 14 of their last 16.

See a difference there?

You're confusing fan mentality with player mentality. It doesn't matter what we do/say. Our mentality has zero influence on the outcome of games. The players need to stay positive in the face of daunting odds. The fans? They can afford to be realistic about their team's chances.

Didn't the 2011 Bruins team also limp into the post season , anybody know what there record was the last 20 games or so ?

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Sink or swim.

I admit that right now I am just too angry to support this team. When I cool off I will think better of it. I just don't know when that will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad