Post-Game Talk: Game 55 - McAVOY SCORES IN OT - BRUINS 2 Chicago 1 F /OT

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I am so happy for McAvoy, he has played very well and getting an OT winner is a nice reward. Of course, I have no problem with a controversial goal going our way - we had a disallowed goal by Blidh because it was gloved in, they lost a goal because it was a hand pass. Honestly, I always think they will be called back these days, so it has been shocking that a couple have gone our way in the last two games...about time! Five in a row!!

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Cued up to the disallowed goal

They may have shown some better angles during the broadcast, but it doesn’t look like it touches his stick on either of the two angles shown here. Definitely nothing to justify ”guess we can quit crying about bad calls now”

Even less so for the ref to ”admit” to Toews that they made a mistake.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
They may have shown some better angles during the broadcast, but it doesn’t look like it touches his stick on either of the two angles shown here. Definitely nothing to justify ”guess we can quit crying about bad calls now”

Even less so for the ref to ”admit” to Toews that they made a mistake.

I’m also interested in hearing what the rule book says about hand passing it off a stick. Does it immediately nullify the hand pass or do you need to establish possession (i.e. to the degree that a delayed penalty whistle would be blown)? If it is immediate, does this count for accidental contact with the stick? Does it count for deliberate contact with other body parts? Accidental such contact (swatting at it with your hand, then it bounces off your leg or other arm, etc.)?

Whatever the case, it doesn’t seem to be a routine call for a referee to make even if it did barely graze the stick.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Glad for MacAvoy to finally get one! Hopefully he can tack on at least another one before the season ends :sarcasm:

LouisSleigher

Jul 6, 2013
SW Ohio
Would like to see Wagner as the healthy scratch this weekend and Heinen get back in there. I assume he will have some extra jump.
Wagner is a team-worst minus-9 and almost gave the game away last night with his disastrous shift with 5 minutes remaining.

I'm ready to try a Swedish Meatball 4th line of Blidh-Lindholm-Nordstrom.

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
I’m also interested in hearing what the rule book says about hand passing it off a stick. Does it immediately nullify the hand pass or do you need to establish possession (i.e. to the degree that a delayed penalty whistle would be blown)? If it is immediate, does this count for accidental contact with the stick? Does it count for deliberate contact with other body parts? Accidental such contact (swatting at it with your hand, then it bounces off your leg or other arm, etc.)?

Whatever the case, it doesn’t seem to be a routine call for a referee to make even if it did barely graze the stick.

I've always been under the impression that once it's been played with the stick (touched it) then it negates the hand pass. I think if you kicked the puck, that would also count as negating it since a play was made on the puck. Looks like he grazes it with his stick in super slo mo but the refs got it right cus in real time, there's no way you could see that.

Reactions: Fossy21 and lopey

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Can’t believe we are in first right now, pretty cool seeing lauzon get a good look here, I think he’ll be a solid tough player. I’m really pulling for blidh to make a good impression, he seems like the perfect 4th liner to me. Energy, hitting, get under opposing players skins, he hasn’t looked lost out there. He is really good at playing on an edge and not racking up dumb or bad penalties. I loved his game in providence.

anyway pretty solid effort tonight for the guys.

Pizza and fries 4 lyfe....goodnight guys.
Hey a new poster ! Welcome !!!

NMF

May 24, 2012
The puck touches Maatta's stick after he pushes it, and before it reaches Caggiula. So my understanding is it's not a hand pass to a teammate because the stick touch ends the hand pass and only then does it go on to the other player. But to my knowledge this isn't clearly defined in the rulebook, like a number of other things, so I'm not sure and I'm happy to be shown otherwise.

But it's really besides the point anyway. All that matters for the purposes of assessing Toews' response is whether or not he's telling the truth about what the ref told him. If he is, then I don't have a problem with it.

It's still a handpass. Hand pass is only negated by possession and control by the opposing team. Although the puck may have nicked off of his stick is irrelevant. The puck was propelled forward by the hand and any deflection does not negate the handpass.

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
great game, pure domination when 5 on 5.. reallllly wish the 1st pp unit would get off the ice quicker. uncharacteristically bad game by krug and marchy.. when krug got knocked over from behind, all i was thinking was please dont do something dumb (which he did) worst of all it was after he tried to skate through three defenders. though blidh played a perfect 4th liner's game

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Can’t believe we are in first right now, pretty cool seeing lauzon get a good look here, I think he’ll be a solid tough player. I’m really pulling for blidh to make a good impression, he seems like the perfect 4th liner to me. Energy, hitting, get under opposing players skins, he hasn’t looked lost out there. He is really good at playing on an edge and not racking up dumb or bad penalties. I loved his game in providence.

anyway pretty solid effort tonight for the guys.

Pizza and fries 4 lyfe....goodnight guys.

Welcome to the board! :welcome:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
So happy for McAvoy it has been a tough season for him offensively to say the least. Not only his first goal but the GWG. Talk about being in the right place at the right time!

I'm also happy to see Sean Kuraly apparently turning his game around- maybe he is more comfortable on the wing than at center?? Anyway he had a very good game.

Reactions: missingchicklet

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
So happy for McAvoy it has been a tough season for him offensively to say the least. Not only his first goal but the GWG. Talk about being in the right place at the right time!

I'm also happy to see Sean Kuraly apparently turning his game around- maybe he is more comfortable on the wing than at center?? Anyway he had a very good game.

That whole sequence is not getting enough attention. Very few D men in the NHL could do what he did on that play. That wasn't the parting of the sea goal.

That was guts ,power ,skill,speed and determination. Look where he started that play from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad