GDT: Game 55: Coyotes @ Kings - 8:30 PM - FSAZ

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Got the lead early and then played Tippett hockey. Smith was great and the Pearls/Dvo line created chances almost every shift. Other then that line LA controlled the puck all game.

Difference is that if the team gives up some goals from doing the typical turtle-tipp hockey they can score to take the lead again.

This is the team I was expecting to see at the beginning of the season. Hell, they played like this game 1 against the Flyers. Then went into a Tipp coahing coma, and now look confident, fast and effective Let's see how the rest of the season goes.

Palmer2Fitz

Oct 2, 2015
Good point, I'm fine with either. But that theoretical Keller combo makes me salivate.

What about Perlini-Dvo-Keller? Very good chance Keller ends up a winger. Which is fine with me since he reminds me so much of Kane. If Dvo continues his progression then we let him and Strome battle for #1 and #2. I know people are down on him because WJC or maybe because his brother hasn't quite panned out, but he's still one of the best C prospects in the game today. Remember Perlini had a solid first camp like Strome and then disappointed his 2nd camp like Strome. Let's not write him off like most did with Perlini. With Strome hockey IQ I honestly think we have at minimum a #2C.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Man the more I watch Pearls and Dvo lately the more excited I get. The progression Dvo has made since his first game blows my mind. I really think he has 1st line potential. May never be a ppg player but a 60 point center that is good at everything is a first line center. Like a mix of krejci and Bergeron. Some of you might think I'm crazy but if he wasn't hurt prior to the draft and was a first rounder, he would have always been labeled a #1 center.

I like how our kids are progressing, except maybe Duclair this year, but I hope he gets his confidence back.

I think Doan needs to be paired back up with Martinook. I think there games compliment each other. We love you Doaner but you just can't hang with skilled linemates. I think it would spark Martinook because he seemed far more impressive to me last year. Could be the notorious sophomore slump or could be being forced to adjust to C some games.

Couldn't disagree more about this. We all know this will be Doan's last year, and he has played very well the last 15 games or so, and Martinook is twice the player this year compared to last, and last year I really liked him. He can play in any situation and is really playing out of position for most of the year. With his versatility, he is the type of player that is invaluable in the playoffs.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What about Perlini-Dvo-Keller? Very good chance Keller ends up a winger. Which is fine with me since he reminds me so much of Kane. If Dvo continues his progression then we let him and Strome battle for #1 and #2. I know people are down on him because WJC or maybe because his brother hasn't quite panned out, but he's still one of the best C prospects in the game today. Remember Perlini had a solid first camp like Strome and then disappointed his 2nd camp like Strome. Let's not write him off like most did with Perlini. With Strome hockey IQ I honestly think we have at minimum a #2C.

People around this area of the woods are too willing to write off our prospects way too early. As with a rebuild, the same holds true for prospects, you need PATIENCE.

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
Perlini continues to impress me. He reminds me of Brad Boyes. I could see him having a similar career trajectory. He doesn't always look like the hardest working guy on the ice but just has that finishing ability around the net. He could be one of those guys that quickly but quietly reaches 30-40 goal potential for 2 or 3 years but then evens out to 15-20 goals per year. I'd be A-ok with that.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Perlini continues to impress me. He reminds me of Brad Boyes. I could see him having a similar career trajectory. He doesn't always look like the hardest working guy on the ice but just has that finishing ability around the net. He could be one of those guys that quickly but quietly reaches 30-40 goal potential for 2 or 3 years but then evens out to 15-20 goals per year. I'd be A-ok with that.

Perline has that size, speed and shot. You don't see that often in a player. Consistency is one of hardest for any player, as that can separate the fair from the very good.

Last edited:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
As someone over the past 2 years who had been hoping, for no reason that I can fathom, that Perlini would turn into a top 6 forward, I am thrilled with his game.

I also think that Dvorak may top out as a 1C. I can imaging a team with Dvorak, Strome, Hanzal and Richardson as centers. Imagine the matchup problems that would create with fast scoring wingers to complement on the top 3 lines and big forwards like Crouse on the 4th!

It would be a meld of Los Angeles and Pittsburgh.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
As someone over the past 2 years who had been hoping, for no reason that I can fathom, that Perlini would turn into a top 6 forward, I am thrilled with his game.

I also think that Dvorak may top out as a 1C. I can imaging a team with Dvorak, Strome, Hanzal and Richardson as centers. Imagine the matchup problems that would create with fast scoring wingers to complement on the top 3 lines and big forwards like Crouse on the 4th!

It would be a meld of Los Angeles and Pittsburgh.

Richardson will be gone after next year, and the way it looks Hanzal this year. We have to make room for Keller and Patrick.:)

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Richardson will be gone after next year, and the way it looks Hanzal this year. We have to make room for Keller and Patrick.:)

The team continues to play much better. Hanzal owned Kopitar last night just like he owned Crosby. I really hope we keep him some how. Smith played great again and has been our best player this year. I really like our progress, the young guys coming along, and the coaching job by Tip. He has to get some credit to for getting the team to play hard and progress at this time of the year even though we are out of the playoffs and other teams are playing for keeps.This is why we should keep the team intact and build for next year. Winning and cohesion is important.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

Wasn't Perlini going to make the team, if not for the slash that required him to get surgery on his wrist? That was the buzz that I recall, and the next year was probably spent getting back into game shape and healing, albeit in an unappealing junior situation.

Perlini and Dvorak together a solid feel to it. I also surmise that part of the reason the coaching staff wanted to send Dvo to the minors was simply to see if he and Perlini had some chemistry together, followed by bringing them back up together.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
While the thought of Perlini-Dvo-Keller line in enticing, I think a Perlini-Dvo-Fischer line would be more balanced and effective. Fischer's ability to battle along the boards and make plays in dirty spaces would benefit the other 2.

Would be great to have a top 3 lines that were essentially interchangeable.

Perlini-Dvo-Fischer
Reider-Strome-Keller
Domi-Hanzal/OTHER-Duclair/OTHER
Crouse-Richardson/Dauphin-Martinook

Last edited:

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Strome and Keller wouldn't work, in my opinion. Both need the puck and even then their play style would constantly clash.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Why would Keller end up a winger? I'm not saying your wrong, but I am curious why you think that.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
He's a tiny guy. He's not going to grow much bigger. Might put on weight, but until the other centers around the Pacific retire, he will get owned at center.

Why are people penciling him on the right side for wing? Granted, someone with that skill level should be able to be an asset at any position, but has there been some use of him on the right side in his past?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Why are people penciling him on the right side for wing? Granted, someone with that skill level should be able to be an asset at any position, but has there been some use of him on the right side in his past?

He was on the wing at the WJC. Though that was the left not right.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona

I've said from the moment I was disappointed in his draft selection that he was going to be a LW in the NHL.

Problem is, we have:

Domi
Rieder
Martinook
Crouse
McGinn
Perlini
Duclair

All as LHS wings. Keller won't play center at this level. He just doesn't have the build for it. He can probably put on some serious weight, but that won't happen come October.

Problem is, we have way too many LHS wingers right now, specifically on the left hand wing. This is why I wouldn't even think about penciling him in the line up next season. He isn't built to play center, especially in our division, and there isn't a spot for him on the left wing.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
While the thought of Perlini-Dvo-Keller line in enticing, I think a Perlini-Dvo-Fischer line would be more balanced and effective. Fischer's ability to battle along the boards and make plays in dirty spaces would benefit the other 2.

Would be great to have a top 3 lines that were essentially interchangeable.

Perlini-Dvo-Fischer
Reider-Strome-Keller
Domi-Hanzal/OTHER-Duclair/OTHER
Crouse-Richardson/Dauphin-Martinook

Strome and Keller wouldn't work, in my opinion. Both need the puck and even then their play style would constantly clash.

The way it is stacking up, we are going to be a very deep team, running four lines with talent on all four. We won't know if Keller and Strome work until we try it, but what a great position to be in.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I've said from the moment I was disappointed in his draft selection that he was going to be a LW in the NHL.

Problem is, we have:

Domi
Rieder
Martinook
Crouse
McGinn
Perlini
Duclair

All as LHS wings. Keller won't play center at this level. He just doesn't have the build for it. He can probably put on some serious weight, but that won't happen come October.

Problem is, we have way too many LHS wingers right now, specifically on the left hand wing. This is why I wouldn't even think about penciling him in the line up next season. He isn't built to play center, especially in our division, and there isn't a spot for him on the left wing.

If he is our first or second best winger coming out of camp, they will find a place for him.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I still think Keller is a center long term. He's not a prototypical "big" center, but if Dvorak and Strome are both lining up down the middle at even strength, he won't have to be. His vision, creativity and puck skills are wasted on the wing, and among his peers, he's been a terrific defensive player and great at faceoffs. He's killing penalties as a freshman at BU, for whatever that's worth.

Think Claude Giroux or Pavel Datsyuk. If anything, I'd move Strome to wing before Keller. Speed is more important than size down the middle.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
I still think Keller is a center long term. He's not a prototypical "big" center, but if Dvorak and Strome are both lining up down the middle at even strength, he won't have to be. His vision, creativity and puck skills are wasted on the wing, and among his peers, he's been a terrific defensive player and great at faceoffs. He's killing penalties as a freshman at BU, for whatever that's worth.

Think Claude Giroux or Pavel Datsyuk. If anything, I'd move Strome to wing before Keller. Speed is more important than size down the middle.

Yes to all of the above, with POSSIBLE exception to bolded. Every game i watch he seems to be doing great at faceoffs like you said yourself and i would agree with you off of my viewings, but the NCAA stats site has him down as 48% on draws.
But 100% agree, Keller speed and vision down the middle is amazing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad