Post-Game Talk: GAME 54 - The B's SMASH Nashville - BRUINS 5 Nashville 0

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
I saw the first two periods and wow, that was impressive. My Dad's funeral was yesterday so I needed something to cheer me up, it did, and I actually had the best sleep I've had in weeks. I didn't even check the final score through the night. Thank you Bruins.

Please have more siblings trips....lol No one wants to lose in front of them.

Swayman with the shutout is a massive boost of confidence, so glad he got it.
So sorry to hear about your dad. God bless you and your family.

aguineapig

Needle on the blood pressure device did not move at all watching these one. Had it from start to finish. Swayman with the triple c's, cool, calm and collected. Marchand, The Little Engine That Does. Getting Lindy in his prime makes up for getting Guy Lapointe ten years too late. Watching Lauko careen all over the ice reminds me of good old Battlin' Brent Hughes. Bergy penned this op-ed in this mornings Herald-Traveler.

1676636787581.png

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

NASHVILLE — The Bruins turned Music City into their own Black-and-Gold offensive fugue, the working man’s waltz, running away with a 5-0 win Thursday night over the Predators on goals by Brad Marchand, Craig Smith, Patrice Bergeron, Derek Forbort, and Trent Frederic at Bridgestone Arena.
The victory, backed by 28 saves from Jeremy Swayman (13-4-4), was the second straight for the Bruins and improved their league-best record to 41-8-5.
For Swayman, the shutout was his second of the season.
With their win, just 48 hours after a stout, grinding overtime win in Dallas, it appears the Bruins may have shaken a mini-slump. Prior to embarking upon the two-game road swing, they culled out but one win (1-3-1) in five games.

“Again, we are trying to stick to the process,” said Bergeron, the Bruins’ captain whose goal on the power play snapped a protracted slump on the man advantage. “These last two games were more like how we want to play, especially [in Dallas], and we want to build from that. We’re aware there’s going to be some dips in the season and it’s about being aware and committed to rectifying things sooner rather than later — so I was pleased with this road trip.”

“Sway was our best player tonight, no question,” said coach Jim Montgomery, who added he felt his club’s effort Tuesday night in Dallas was more comprehensive, smarter. “They had a lot of good looks, he was patient on his feet.
“It was nice to get a game where we got a lead and extended it like we did. I thought Bergeron and our fourth line did a lot of great things tonight. Our D corps too.”

It was the third game in a row that Clifton, sneaky fast with his crushing hits, delivered one of his impressive body slams. On Saturday, the defenseman clobbered Garnet Hathaway just as the Capitals forward released a shot in the slot that beat Swayman. On Tuesday, Clifton buried Stars forward Ty Dellandrea with a big blast in the corner as the second period ended.

Consistently deliberately, Clifton is filling the intimidation role held for years by back-ender Kevan Miller.

“It’s something I want to do, finish hits,” said Clifton. “And down the line it’s important. Obviously, we know how to play in playoff series, and you never know who we’re going to play it the end. So you want to establish that physical contact, make sure teams know you’ve got it.”

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

NASHVILLE — The Bruins, mired in a protracted 0-for-20 slump on the power play since Jan. 26, took on the Predators Thursday night with Nick Foligno (6 feet, 210 pounds) and Charlie Coyle (6-3, 223) as the top two options for the age-old role of big body parked at the top of the crease with the man advantage.

The strategy: size matters. At least that was the hope.

“There’s sort of an art to it,” said Coyle, who was not in the power-play mix for much of the first half of the season, when the Bruins were sizzling in man-up situations. “You don’t know how it’s going to go, but usually the pucks bounce out a little bit [after an initial shot on goal] off the pads … so I want to be tight [to the net] for the shot, but once that shot goes, you want to turn around, own your space, stick your butt out and make sure you find rebounds, or be the first guy on pucks behind the net.”

The power-play drought ended at 8:06 of the second period of the 5-0 win over the Predators when Patrice Bergeron scored on the Bruins’ third man advantage to push their lead to 3-0. The captain’s goal ended the PP skid at 0 for 22.

By stationing Foligno and Coyle as his two net-front guys, coach Jim Montgomery employed an old strategy, relying on weight and width — sheer physical presence — to provide an advantage around the top of the crease. Successful top-of-the-paint players are able to stand their ground, often fending off cross-checks and shoves, while taking away the goalie’s line of vision.

“Be as close to the net as possible,” said Montgomery, who was asked what he expected to see from Coyle in particular. “Make it hard on the goaltender to see pucks, and for [Coyle] to be hard recovering pucks.”

All of which, as Montgomery said and Coyle noted, can be as much art form as strategy.

“But he has the skill set for it,” added the coach. “Because he’s a real talented hockey player that is a dog on pucks.”

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Nice win have to admit I was getting worried with there play of late and how some very important players really looked off ,looked more like themselves last night and even the power play looked better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad