GDT: Game 53: Yotes @ Flying Machines - 2/6/18 - 6pm - FSA+

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Hope the Coyotes don't get pegged tonight! I'll lower my expectations this time, let's just not have a game like that LA game eh?

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
People from Winnipeg on the internet are like no other people on earth. Holy cow. The most hypersensitive individuals to ever type characters into a dialogue box.
Rage quit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
^&******$%_&%#*^*%* :ha:

j/k

Reactions: Lady Macbeth

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I live in downtown Winnipeg and we have power. With our power lines downtown all underground it seems unlikely that the Fairmont would be without power.
Ask for extra blankets and get some sleep. There's nothing to do here anyways. The staff is excellent and they will send some hot tea and soup to your rooms. Oh. Never mind.
A denier!

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
If you mention that it's cold in Winnipeg in February, you're a goddamned sewer rat of a human being and you deserve to be exterminated as such.
Funny, I was going to say it is ALWAYS cold in Winterpeg in February. You should be surprised when it is not.

On a related story, growing up playing ice hockey in Winnipeg we had to have 1 game outside every group of games because our community centre only had 1 indoor rink (1st world problems I know). So, one February it was soooo cold (like minus 28 F) but we didnt want to cancel the game because there was no way to have a make up game. Anyway, it was decided that players could not sit on the players bench because you would get too cold. So, we played 3 minute (that is what I remember anyway) shifts. While on the ice the rest of the team waited in the arena hallway to stay warm. When the 3 minute siren rang the players on the ice all went indoors and the next shift would go outside.
:eek:

Reactions: _Del_

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
Funny, I was going to say it is ALWAYS cold in Winterpeg in February. You should be surprised when it is not.

On a related story, growing up playing ice hockey in Winnipeg we had to have 1 game outside every group of games because our community centre only had 1 indoor rink (1st world problems I know). So, one February it was soooo cold (like minus 28 F) but we didnt want to cancel the game because there was no way to have a make up game. Anyway, it was decided that players could not sit on the players bench because you would get too cold. So, we played 3 minute (that is what I remember anyway) shifts. While on the ice the rest of the team waited in the arena hallway to stay warm. When the 3 minute siren rang the players on the ice all went indoors and the next shift would go outside.
:eek:
Sounds a bit like mystery Alaska movie

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I lived in Yuma for a few years. Its a **** hole. If anyone badmouthed that place, I'd join the conversation and talk about how bad it is.

Most people who have traveled to Winnipeg that I know personally say its a **** hole.

There is nothing wrong with admitting a city is a **** hole. lol

Jets fan, I come in peace.

Winnipeg is definitely not a place on anyone's tourist top ten list, but it's a lovely city to live in. And only certain portions are a ****hole.

Ask Patrik Laine - he gets it:

Other than destroying Nik Ehlers in Call of Duty, I think the best thing to happen to me last year was falling in love with Winnipeg.
I mean, I heard some guys talking bad about the city and that Winnipeg was not a good place. What do they know? I love Winnipeg. This is my home. These are my people now. I play for them. It’s a great, great city. Everyone who lives here really cares about one another, that’s what stands out to me. We are one group, all of us. Everybody is your neighbor.
Winnipeg is bad? No. Winnipeg is good.

Winnipeg Is Good | By Patrik Laine

But this is your GDT that I'm intruding in - so by all means you can call Winnipeg and the Jets every dirty name in the book. Here's to an entertaining game of hockey tonight!

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
So we get to hear Tyler Ganoosh and McConnell whine for 2.5 hours about their Winnipeg hotel experience while Yotes get drilled 5-1.

Guess that's better than the nightly argument over who's the cheaper of the two.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Jets fan, I come in peace.

Winnipeg is definitely not a place on anyone's tourist top ten list, but it's a lovely city to live in. And only certain portions are a ****hole.

Ask Patrik Laine - he gets it:

Winnipeg Is Good | By Patrik Laine

But this is your GDT that I'm intruding in - so by all means you can call Winnipeg and the Jets every dirty name in the book. Here's to an entertaining game of hockey tonight!
The man needs a new goat.

You don't seen any other players feeling the need to defend the livability of their cities. Only a Jets player.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Do they still eat whale blubber up there in the cold winters? :P

If anything, we shouldn't be complaining about conditioning for tonight (I imagine the players are all housed on the upper floors). Although, I suppose we could use the excuse that the hotel without electricity caused our players to over-exert themselves and were thus exhausted by the time the game began. Or, we could say it's a Winnipeg conspiracy to gain an unfair advantage over the team with arguably the most promising roster in the NHL. Perhaps we should play Wedgewood in net instead of Raanta due to the "no electricity" problem.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA

Don't take things seriously, we're just having fun (or at least that's how I perceive it--having never visited Winnipeg). As you mentioned, most towns/areas have schistholes. I grew up in Iowa, which is not quite as cold as Winnipeg in winter, but close. There are plenty of schistholes in and around the town I grew up in. Although I didn't totally escape cold winters or the schistholes (I live in SE Pennsylvania now), the climate and people here are much better.

Last edited:

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Don't take things seriously, we're just having fun (or at least that's how I perceive it--having never visited Winnipeg). As you mentioned, most towns/areas have schistholes. I grew up in Iowa, which is not quite as cold as Winnipeg in winter, but close. There are plenty of schistholes in and around the town I grew up in. Although I didn't totally escape cold winters or the schistholes (I live in SE Pennsylvania now), the climate and people here are much better.

Not the only time we had fun with Winnipeg. There was a time where the fun came with the result of over 200 posts deleted from the board of the Jets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad