GDT: Game 53: Coyotes @ Flames - 7PM - FSAZ+

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Flames GDT is pretty funny, reminds me of ours when we lose except for less rage directed at each other. Not one relocation or non traditional market comment either.

Somewhat off topic, I still can't believe Tkachuk fell to the them. He's pretty awesome.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Somewhat off topic, I still can't believe Tkachuk fell to the them. He's pretty awesome.

Sorry, what? That brat is as cheap as it gets. Probably has about as many slewfoots as points...preferably does it vs players with recent knee/leg injury history. Was quite surprised he and the other Flames rats didn't try to take out Hanzal since the game didn't go their way.

Flames are easily the cheapest team now with Tkachuk, Bennett, Engelland and Ferland all well known for being dirty. Happy to get away not only with a win but with a healthy team. Be sure the Flames won't change anytime soon since the league seems to be perfectly okay with stuff like that.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=opSiHESUAuE

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If Richardson didn't get hurt we would have only got one of Holland, Jooris, Burmi.

And at the start of the Dvo wasn't anywhere near is good as he has been lately.

Correct. It usually takes time for kids to adjust to the NHL, and Dvo is no different. He was not very good at the start of the season, but has progressed faster than I thought. He will still go stretches where he does not look good, but again, that is just the nature of the beast.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Dvorak was never been used in a defensive role. He has had one of the highest offensive zone starts out of anyone on the team, that's been the case all season long. And there were games where his icetime was 17-18mins, but he didn't execute. And when it was decreased he wasn't that noticeable.

Lately he has looked a lot more confident and has been executing. He's developed as the season has progressed.

Right again. It's all about confidence and execution.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Amazing what confidence and opportunity will do for a young player...

Yes, and those come with time and an understanding of what is going on. Remember, these guys weren't taught our entire game plan and playbook in two days with the idea that they can execute perfectly on day 3.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yeah, I guess some were watching a different team early on or didn't know Dvo's number. He is the same player. He was fantastic at times early on and got nothing for it except put on the fourth line or sent down.

The reason he is looking better and better is because he is being given the opportunity, not because some monumental change in his game happened.

Dvo is playing better because of his confidence, not opportunity. Do you really think at the start of the year Dvo would have done that end to end rush? I also think Perlini has helped Dvo.

I'd be shocked if keller wasn't on the team next year. Probably instantly our most talented player. Strome not being on it wouldn't surprise me at all.

I would be very disappointed if Strome didn't come to camp next year and make the team. He has something to prove.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yes, and those come with time and an understanding of what is going on. Remember, these guys weren't taught our entire game plan and playbook in two days with the idea that they can execute perfectly on day 3.

I agree with the overal point but I don't think the football analogy is terribly apt. Dave Tippett's apptoach isn't so much more nuanced or refined than Dale Hunter's that it takes six extra months to grasp. And if it is, that's probably our issue. Hunter is twice the coach Tippett will ever be.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I don't see much talent in Tucson at the center position. The talent is with Strome and Keller. For Strome, next year has to be the year. For Keller, I just hope he doesn't pull a Wheeler.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

There you go.:handclap:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Teams were 3-7-1 coming out of their by week. 3-8-1 now.

Coyotes last 10 games: 6-3-1. Best last 10 game record in the Pacific. (Just those first 40 throw us off)

Maybe their were too many new moving parts and not enough talent at the start of the year. The right combination of players seems to be jelling now at a tough time of the year. This might be the start of building a solid team going into next year. This is why I would like to see the solid play continue and the team stay intact, meaning sign Hanzal and keep Verby. Maybe Stone only gets traded. It is more important to win for this group then it is to sell off players and risk a more losing culture this year, even though we won't make the playoffs, and the draft is weak anyway. The switch isn't flipped on day 1 of next season.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
This stat surprised me. Didn't realize Bryz had that many shutouts.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I agree with the overal point but I don't think the football analogy is terribly apt. Dave Tippett's apptoach isn't so much more nuanced or refined than Dale Hunter's that it takes six extra months to grasp. And if it is, that's probably our issue. Hunter is twice the coach Tippett will ever be.

Big jump to the NHL. Reminds me of the first 3 months at a new job. Nobody is perfect Day 1. You work through the bumps.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I'm very pleasantly surprised by Dvorak - he's coming along a lot faster than I expected. But I get the feeling it's not a matter of confidence. You look at that kid and it is pretty clear that that's one thing he doesn't lack at all. I think he was just hanging back a bit and figuring a few things out, and now that he has, he is turning on the jets. :handclap:

avco

Feb 10, 2007
Dvo is playing better because of his confidence, not opportunity. Do you really think at the start of the year Dvo would have done that end to end rush? I also think Perlini has helped Dvo.

I would be very disappointed if Strome didn't come to camp next year and make the team. He has something to prove.

Your response is the definition of "Alternative Facts".

Dvo hasn't changed; just you and DT being extremely late to recognize what most posters saw at the beginning of the season (ie Training Camp).

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003

Big jump to the NHL. Reminds me of the first 3 months at a new job. Nobody is perfect Day 1. You work through the bumps.

Tipp's been an NHL coach for awhile. I'd hope we're past the bumps...

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Tipp's been an NHL coach for awhile. I'd hope we're past the bumps...

But Tippett isn't the one on the ice doing what he is preaching.

The term "Bigger, Faster, Stronger" is a mantra that has always been used around athletes, but it is not just the physical side of the game. This applies to the mental side as well. You have to be able to put mistakes behind you and make decisions at a much faster and more calculated rate. That is the precise reason why I thought the 2nd half of the season was going to be a big turn around from the first half. Everyone gets a little more understanding of what is going on and what they need to do - day by day, game by game, shift by shift.

Early on, the youth was playing, but maybe not making decisions at a fast enough pace or a high enough quality. That adjusts with time and getting comfortable with processing information correctly and then executing correctly. That's where Dvorak was early on in the season. There were some minor holes that needed correcting and he has shown that he has picked that up. It's not just in games, but probably also took place in practice. Tippett has talked about both Crouse and Chychrun with the same sentiments. Players like Duclair and DeAngelo struggled with mental and physical miscues this year. Perlini improved his mental and physical acuity against top AHL lines and it has carried over against similar quality of competition in the NHL. Consistent ice time is given to players who consistently perform.

Not much more to say except that if the expectation was for the youth to immediately jump right in and perform at a high level, maybe expectations need to be tempered within, and not needlessly placing blame on unrealistic expectations for a coach and team.

My expectations are going to jump considerably heading into next year, though. That is a reasonable timeframe to think that the pieces are going to come together.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Sorry, what? That brat is as cheap as it gets. Probably has about as many slewfoots as points...preferably does it vs players with recent knee/leg injury history. Was quite surprised he and the other Flames rats didn't try to take out Hanzal since the game didn't go their way.

Flames are easily the cheapest team now with Tkachuk, Bennett, Engelland and Ferland all well known for being dirty. Happy to get away not only with a win but with a healthy team. Be sure the Flames won't change anytime soon since the league seems to be perfectly okay with stuff like that.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=opSiHESUAuE

:laugh: And Vrbata is washed up. Smith shouldn't have got the start (was named NHL networks first star of the entire night - all players all teams). Dvorak shouldn't see pk time (named second star of entire night).

Some coach for real, some coach from the keyboard.... one knows what he's dealing with and the other just guesses.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Players are looking more comfortable and, as a result, more confident. The second half of the season will be far better than the first was.

Perhaps. It's interesting because the second half has much stiffer competition. Let's give this a bit and see what happens as teams realize we can't be taken lightly... if indeed that is even happening at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad