GDT: GAME 52 | Senators @ Lightning | Fight or Die Edition | Mon Feb 19th 7PM, 2024 | SN, TVAS

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Didn't pinto play the clapper from the side boards in college?
He's got a great one timer, at least at lower levels,

Our problem is we don't set up the pp to open up the one time option, we typically have guys on the wrong side of the ice for that play,

Reactions: DrEasy

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
There is no way Jacques continues as permanent head coach, he can't even get on the ice for practices because of his hips.

He does seem more tired but I wonder if the temptation to return for 1 year and win a Cup as a Head Coach is tempting for him? He obviously still has a ton to give and he knows he has the team to win it all and finish his career on top in the market that made him the legend he is today (maybe not the goalie but for sure the skaters)

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
There’s a reason 72 sat at the end despite the 8avv and the « A » letter

The coach sees what we see and hes starting to have had enough
Just starting to now? He’s been playing him quite a bit. I think chabot was having an especially bad game last night

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
If JBD can continue to improve and play like last night the Sens might have themselves a regular right D.

Even if he’s a bottom pairing Dman who skate 16-17 minutes, so important your 1st round picks make the NHL. Same with Ty Boucher (and Lassi Thompson) - even in a depth roll important they can contribute and add to the depth

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He does seem more tired but I wonder if the temptation to return for 1 year and win a Cup as a Head Coach is tempting for him? He obviously still has a ton to give and he knows he has the team to win it all and finish his career on top in the market that made him the legend he is today (maybe not the goalie but for sure the skaters)
Well we aren't winning the cup next year so I don't think he has to worry about that particular temptation.

He'll settle back into the advisory role, I'm sure, and that will fill his desires to be part of the club

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Well we aren't winning the cup next year so I don't think he has to worry about that particular temptation.

He'll settle back into the advisory role, I'm sure, and that will fill his desires to be part of the club

Just imagine he was here from game 1 and tonight’s game is a playoff preview between Cats-Sens and the Tkachuk brothers which would probably one of the most watched 1st round playoff series in the U.S. without a superstar in the lineup.

The limelight has to be tempting and the opportunity to implant your name into the record books - would also pass Claude Julien, Mike Keenan, Ron Wilson in coaching wins and it could reignite a debate about his admission to the HOF

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
love the accountability that Martin is showing

best players play.

I wouldnt trade Chychrun till i know he isn't going to sign

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
35 mm cameras are mostly digital now, and far exceed anything else.
joke-missed.gif

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Strangely, everytime Hamonic is not in the lineup, the team looks better

They should try that with Kubalik too

My lines :

Tkachuk - Norris - Giroux
Joseph - Stutzle - Batherson
Greig - Pinto - Tarasenko
Kelly- Kastelic - MacEwen

Chychrun - Sanderson
Chabot - Zub
Brannstrom - JBD

Forsberg
Fourpisalo

Chychrun being better defensively than Chabot is highly debatable, Chychrun has been a giveaway machine this year, leads the league in DZ giveaways.

Yeah, that's really not how I see it.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Well he does lead the team in giveaways at 57, to 24 for Chabot.
Leads the team in per 60 giveaways as well.
I thought so. Chabot's mom must be in charge of counting Give-Aways, cuz he's the Spezz-dispenser of lost pucks..like at the blue line last night, where he coughed up another hairball and Bolts almost scored on clear breakaway.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Well he does lead the team in giveaways at 57, to 24 for Chabot.
Leads the team in per 60 giveaways as well.

That was my point, Chychrun has been a train wreck in the defensive zone this season. Both him and Chabot need to play on their strong side with a guy like Zub, but Zub is playing with Sanderson who would be the best to play on RD because he's Elite. Roster construction was far from ideal under Pierre and having 4 similar LHDs PMDs is just an example of that.

My ideal pairings is this would be the optimal pairings based on what we have :

Sanderson - Chychrun (65.7 xGF%)
Chabot - Zub (48.0 xGF%)
Brannstrom - JBD (52.1 xGF%)

Chabot-Zub had 54.7 xGF% last season so it could improve. This way, both Chabot and Chychrun could have a guy that would help them defensively and complement them better

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
The Sens have a system problem and it hasn’t really changed with Martin as coach.
Basically they play a better structured defence but for a significant part of the game they basically give the opposing team an easy break out and no resistance until they reach the red line. This results in repeated shifts that involve teams just shooting the puck in, heavy forecheck, getting hemmed in and then simply shooting the puck out and making a line change.
Against big, heavy forechecking teams like Florida, this approach is just idiotic.
Martin’s said he wanted them to be more aggressive in the neutral zone but for some reason they always seem to collapse back and end up spending the majority of the period on their own zone.
Against Tampa they were more aggressive and ended up with better counterattack shifts.
No other team I’ve watched is this passive on defence and I have no idea why they keep playing this system.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The Sens have a system problem and it hasn’t really changed with Martin as coach.
Basically they play a better structured defence but for a significant part of the game they basically give the opposing team an easy break out and no resistance until they reach the red line. This results in repeated shifts that involve teams just shooting the puck in, heavy forecheck, getting hemmed in and then simply shooting the puck out and making a line change.
Against big, heavy forechecking teams like Florida, this approach is just idiotic.
Martin’s said he wanted them to be more aggressive in the neutral zone but for some reason they always seem to collapse back and end up spending the majority of the period on their own zone.
Against Tampa they were more aggressive and ended up with better counterattack shifts.
No other team I’ve watched is this passive on defence and I have no idea why they keep playing this system.
I mean, we outplayed Florida for large stretches of the game too, held them to zero shots for a 10-15 min stretch, clearly something was working.

We were on the tail end of a back to back, guys were tired, so you're going to get a more passive game with guys not wanting to get burned.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
everyone blaming Korpisalo but what were Brady and Chabot doing on that play?

Brady just idk, and Chabot does not cover the pass at all, his stick is in the the wrong direction! other player is sitting for a tap in. If Korpisalo doesn't cheat they get an empty net on the other side. same result.

it was basically a 2-0 that started from the hashmark's f***ing wild.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I thought they played great last night and can't imagine complaining about that effort given what we've seen. Chabot included. Not sure why everyone comes away saying he's awful every night. I think he's played pretty well lately and looks much better under JM. The slight difference giving Florida the edge could basically be reduced to goaltending imo. Bobrovsky was incredible while Korpisalo was in stretches with only the one in OT you might like back.

I don't think it was even that bad of a goal, but he's low in his net again and it's just so typical of what we see from him with stellar play and a goal you probably want back or the other teams tender would have had.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The Panthers are also a TOP TEAM

I mean, the Sens are not going to win every game against these good/top teams. Scoring chances and High Danger chances were pretty close and xG was 3.56 to 3.34 for the Panthers

Pretty close game, we brought them to OT in a back to back, nothing to be ashamed of. The game that sucked was against the Ducks (Mrazek kinda won the game for the Hawks)

Overall, since the date I have circled on my calendar (which started with a Loss)., January 11th, Sens are 9-5-3 (12th best P%), 4th best CF%, 4th best SF% and 4th best xGF% in the whole league

It is a process, Rome wasn't build in one day and we still have many years of MISmanagement and MIScoaching to recover from

Last edited:
Reactions: Emrasie and DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad