GDT: Game 52: Red Wings at oilers 9:00 pm et 2/13/24 (ESPN+, BSD)

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
This point really matters very little, as if it was so easy to runaway and dominate, because the goalies were so bad, how come it was only Gretzky who put up those insane totals? Then Lemieux did, no one else was racking up lots of seasons of 110+ pts. Even Yzerman hit 110 just twice in the 80s and three times overall. Nicholls hit 150 one time, only cause he played with Gretzky, and some of the other 100+ pt guys back then only got there because of Wayne. Aside from Wayne and Mario, most players weren't putting up earth shattering numbers each season.

Nothing really to do with your point it's just an excuse for me to remind everyone that Yzerman scored 155 points in a season. The first player you'll find on that list not named Gretzky or Lemieux.

Again, nothing really to do with your point. It's just like scratching an itch.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Draisaitl is a hart trophy winner and on pace for over 100 pts, rnh scored over 100 pts last year, Hyman is on pace for 50 goals, Kane is on pace for 60 pts and Bouchard is on pace for 80 points as a D. Where are you getting this no depth idea from?
1) Because on the broadcast of the game they flatly stated that Edmonton has had very little production from half their lineup.

2) Because stats thus far back this up:

And I'm not saying it's IMPOSSIBLE for the Oilers to win. I'm saying that they have less scoring depth than any of the past few winners, and it's a challenge they would need to overcome.

Specific example: Edmonton may face Vegas in the first round. Vegas has tremendous depth by comparison. There's more than one way to skin a cat, as the saying goes. But I like Vegas' chances better than Edmonton's.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
As I said in the GDT on the main forum last night, losing like that sucks but there's some consolation in watching the handful of Wings-obsessed Sens fans show up to try and troll. One popped up in the McDavid thread now too.

Rent free, apparently.

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
We are now looking at a serious problem if Husso is out long term again. Lyon and Reimer could conceivably be our tandem indefinitely which means hoping to make the playoffs could be in jeopardy. If Husso is out again for 5 weeks like last time and we are still in the hunt do we try and trade for a goalie?

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
Last night's game was like watching Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde. Thursday boys lets make it 6 wins in a row over Vancouver. Don't disappoint I will be there.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
We are now looking at a serious problem if Husso is out long term again. Lyon and Reimer could conceivably be our tandem indefinitely which means hoping to make the playoffs could be in jeopardy. If Husso is out again for 5 weeks like last time and we are still in the hunt do we try and trade for a goalie?
I feel like we aren't strong enough to be spending assets on a goalie yet.

We have 15 games before the end of the season against weak teams where we can give Lyon a rest.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Yeah, so about Husso and his return to health…
1000016672.jpg

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I think the NU:notion is you need to have 4 lines like the previous years cup champs or boston, or BUST. Which is the most idiotic and dumbest thing I have ever witnessed on HFB. Posters on this forum are such trend chasers. It's so pathetic!

Oilers are not a one player team as you just so eloquently articulated and pointed out. This is a team that can absolutely challenge any team for a cup.
I think u will see the Oilers pull a trade of for a top 6 RW. I’m also thinking a good bottom 6 player. Who they target? I’m thinking :
Henrique
Jenner
Guentzel
There will have to be money retained and going out for it to work

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I disagree. Calgary is a game where you put Husso in to rest Lyon. Tonight was not the night.

Another thing I also forgot to mention was how unorganized the wings were in the D zone. It looked like December. They were getting lost with the cycling game and did a horrible job covering the points.
Yes.
Now Husso got injured, Lyon embarrassed.
I have no idea why he started. But it was a bad decision
How did Raymond win the battle against Draisaitl?
Did you watch the game?
He stole the puck from him, draisaidel took a penalty, we scored a PP goal.
Here's my take, after taking the evening to digest that third period.

First, while Seider/Walman weren't particularly *good* this game, there were a number of battles where either/or had little to no support whatsoever, nevermindthe missed holding call.

Second, it really feels bad to see Husso go back out with another injury... whether it be a minor setback that requires a few extra days of rest, or something worse. Lyon needs some rest... but I don't trust Reimer to be the one to afford him a night off.

Third, this was another game where we had a ton of chances, but just didn't bury 'em. We outshot our opoonent -- how often can we say we've done that this season... but our chances just didn't go in.

At the end of the day, we can't win 'em all... but we do have to be better. We played well through 40 against one of the best teams in the league, and it's not gonna get any easier as our trip continues. Learn from the mistakes and move forward.
I watched the game with their announcers through 1sr 2 periods. They said that their goalie kept them in the game and they were lucky to finish tied after 2. Then I got Detroit's feed and everything went to hell.
We were better and deserved to lead by 1 or 2 after 2.
But we didn't and we know how it went.
I don't really see much difference between Husso and Reimer to be honest
Very little, almost nothing. But it might be decisive down the line

Reactions: dj4aces

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
nope, that is why I was asking, because looking at the boxscore looks the opposite direction.
The box score and the highlights don't tell the story.
We were better and deserved to finish 2nd by a 1 or 2 goal lead
I think Larkin is injured. Minor injury

spot

Aug 26, 2007
Really enjoyed watching the wings play. Such a fast paced, hard working team. They beat the oilers minus McDavid’s performance for sure. Great GM- and I think that the young guys will start adopting a more team defence commitment in the coming seasons.

Reactions: 14ari13

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Really enjoyed watching the wings play. Such a fast paced, hard working team. They beat the oilers minus McDavid’s performance for sure. Great GM- and I think that the young guys will start adopting a more team defence commitment in the coming seasons.
It's honestly not the younger players that I'm concerned about with regard to team defense...

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I think u will see the Oilers pull a trade of for a top 6 RW. I’m also thinking a good bottom 6 player. Who they target? I’m thinking :
Henrique
Jenner
Guentzel
There will have to be money retained and going out for it to work
Kevin Labanc, here you go!

I watched the game with their announcers through 1sr 2 periods. They said that their goalie kept them in the game and they were lucky to finish tied after 2. Then I got Detroit's feed and everything went to hell.
We were better and deserved to lead by 1 or 2 after 2.
But we didn't and we know how it went.

Very little, almost nothing. But it might be decisive down the line
Ah, so its your fault then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad