GDT: Game 52: Red Wings at oilers 9:00 pm et 2/13/24 (ESPN+, BSD)

Chris Langlois

Jan 31, 2022
I was at the game here are some observations:

- seider and wallman were NOT good. They were flat all game long and lost lots of puck battles that they usually win
- chariot on the other hand I thought was one of our only good dmen at actually getting in lanes and blocking shots tonight or getting his stick on it
-Lyon didn't look ready. Lalonde made an extremely poor coaching decision by not starting Lyon in the first place. He likely would have been more focused and comfortable.
- speaking of lalonde I think coaching was a major factor in this loss. His refusal to make in game adjustments in mind boggling. And his refusal to take a timeout ever is just flat out poor coaching. I'd love to hear a reporter ask him why.
- Kane and Cat were on fire tonight. Pleasure to watch kane
- Larkin had an awful game. For some reason he never plays good against Edmonton
- Lots of wings fans in the crowd which was nice to see. Oilers fans were all super friendly and was a great atmosphere

Reactions: spot and lilidk

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

- seider and wallman were NOT good. They were flat all game long and lost lots of puck battles that they usually win
- chariot on the other hand I thought was one of our only good dmen at actually getting in lanes and blocking shots tonight or getting his stick on it
-Lyon didn't look ready. Lalonde made an extremely poor coaching decision by not starting Lyon in the first place. He likely would have been more focused and comfortable.
- speaking of lalonde I think coaching was a major factor in this loss. His refusal to make in game adjustments in mind boggling. And his refusal to take a timeout ever is just flat out poor coaching. I'd love to hear a reporter ask him why.
- Larkin had an awful game. For some reason he never plays good against Edmonton
- Lots of wings fans in the crowd which was nice to see. Oilers fans were all super friendly and was a great atmosphere
You HAVE to rest Lyon at some point. There is zero reason to be confident in him starting like 9/10 or (like many seem to want) 10/10 the rest of the way.

Imo, this was a schedule loss. A win would have been an upset and stolen points. Going up against the NHLs hottest team, on the road, and McDavid was giving one of his best performances.

Can’t be too upset. I was hoping for 1-2 points in these 3 games vs. Nucks/Oilers and we already have 2.

Chris Langlois

Jan 31, 2022
You HAVE to rest Lyon at some point. There is zero reason to be confident in him starting like 9/10 or (like many seem to want) 10/10 the rest of the way.

Imo, this was a schedule loss. A win would have been an upset and stolen points. Going up against the NHLs hottest team, on the road, and McDavid was giving one of his best performances.

Can’t be too upset. I was hoping for 1-2 points in these 3 games vs. Nucks/Oilers and we already have 2.
I disagree. Calgary is a game where you put Husso in to rest Lyon. Tonight was not the night.

Another thing I also forgot to mention was how unorganized the wings were in the D zone. It looked like December. They were getting lost with the cycling game and did a horrible job covering the points.

Reactions: 14ari13

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Well looks like I didn't miss much. I must have dozed off after the 2nd period. Then went to see the score and was like uh-oh. Complete 3rd period collapse. Jesus

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I disagree. Calgary is a game where you put Husso in to rest Lyon. Tonight was not the night.

Another thing I also forgot to mention was how unorganized the wings were in the D zone. It looked like December. They were getting lost with the cycling game and did a horrible job covering the points.
Not sure we win this with prime Hasek. It was a good time to rest Lyon. Now he needs another game off soon. Should play 7/10 at most, he’s played like 16 of the last 17 or something. We’ll run him into a wall and crash and burn down the stretch.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Atrocious game from Seider and defence.

Make 2 screens for own goalie, which did lead to goal.
1 horrible giveaway, which did lead to goal.
1 hot take to McDavid greatest highlights.

Still a long way to go.

All the damn goals were mistakes from defence. Chiarot giveaway, Petry screening Lyon at first goal.

Not sure if any of them was a goalie lousy play.

Last edited:

Mentallydull

Jul 3, 2008
Oil Country
My go-to stat is Gretzky putting up 90 points as a 37 year-old with a bad back in 1998. Which was good enough to tie for 1st in assists that year with prime Jagr and tied for 3rd overall in points with prime Bure.

A lot of youngins act like he ran up scores on beer league goaltenders in the 80s and that was it. But it wasn't the case.
In the middle of the trap era. This is also my go-to.

As a side note y'all have promise, every team has a game like this - we had a whole whack of them at the start of the year. Shake it off and on to the next.

Cheers folks

Reactions: Stony Curtis

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

My 1st thought when I learned Lyon would not start was oh boy this is so wrong. It was a poor decision.
Larkin must have some minor injury. Compher played more in this game and 5 min more in the game vs Canucks.

The bright spot was definitely Raymond again. He won the battle vs Pettersson last game and vs draisaidel this game

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
My 1st thought when I learned Lyon would not start was oh boy this is so wrong. It was a poor decision.
Larkin must have some minor injury. Compher played more in this game and 5 min more in the game vs Canucks.

The bright spot was definitely Raymond again. He won the battle vs Pettersson last game and vs draisaidel this game

How did Raymond win the battle against Draisaitl?

Reactions: LucaBrasil

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Will be interesting season end, because Ken Holland will retire as winning the Cup.

And he did start his career with winning the Cup.
I still don't see this Edmonton team winning the cup. You can't beat a good defensive team seven straight when your entire game revolves around one player.

Reactions: jkutswings

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I still don't see this Edmonton team winning the cup. You can't beat a good defensive team seven straight when your entire game revolves around one player.

Are you kidding? They're not a one player team. Having a generational centerman on a capfriendly deal doesn't mean their entire team revolves around one player.

Jesus, where do you come up with this bs?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Are you kidding? They're not a one player team. Having a generational centerman on a capfriendly deal doesn't mean their entire team revolves around one player.

Jesus, where do you come up with this bs?
Because they still have very little scoring depth. Having the best player in the league is wonderful. Having a second top-5 player is astounding. But over a seven game series, having many players step up is borderline mandatory to advance. They're a more balanced team this year than before, but it's still a question to be answered.

I've said for awhile that McDavid will never win a Stanley Cup because of the team building strategy that teams like Edmonton and Toronto are using. But the kid is undoubtedly phenomenal - we'll see if he's ever able to get it done.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Here's my take, after taking the evening to digest that third period.

First, while Seider/Walman weren't particularly *good* this game, there were a number of battles where either/or had little to no support whatsoever, nevermindthe missed holding call.

Second, it really feels bad to see Husso go back out with another injury... whether it be a minor setback that requires a few extra days of rest, or something worse. Lyon needs some rest... but I don't trust Reimer to be the one to afford him a night off.

Third, this was another game where we had a ton of chances, but just didn't bury 'em. We outshot our opoonent -- how often can we say we've done that this season... but our chances just didn't go in.

At the end of the day, we can't win 'em all... but we do have to be better. We played well through 40 against one of the best teams in the league, and it's not gonna get any easier as our trip continues. Learn from the mistakes and move forward.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Draisaitl is a hart trophy winner and on pace for over 100 pts, rnh scored over 100 pts last year, Hyman is on pace for 50 goals, Kane is on pace for 60 pts and Bouchard is on pace for 80 points as a D. Where are you getting this no depth idea from?

I think the NU:notion is you need to have 4 lines like the previous years cup champs or boston, or BUST. Which is the most idiotic and dumbest thing I have ever witnessed on HFB. Posters on this forum are such trend chasers. It's so pathetic!

Oilers are not a one player team as you just so eloquently articulated and pointed out. This is a team that can absolutely challenge any team for a cup.

Reactions: Oilers in NS

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
The good news was the Wings didn't crap the bed in the 2nd period.

The bad news is the Wings saved that for the 3rd period.

Seider struggled to contain McDavid but to me Walman was the bigger issue. I don't know if it's because he was trying to do too much but he reminded me of tasmanian devil Chiarot from last season.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
No, I am taking it as in that you think McDavid is anywhere close to Gretzky, and I don't believe he is at all. McDavid is very fast, but he doesn't think the game like Gretzky and it isn't close. Gretzky's smarts are why he was so good and dominant. Take McDavid's speed/skating down just a notch, and he is still really really good player, but not in the Gretzky scheme of things. I also don't think McDavid would be as good as Mario either.

Not running McDavid down, he is the runaway leader best player today by a large gap, and is a Top 4-10 player all time already to me, but I still believe that Gretzky, Lemieux and Orr were better. Gretzky by a landslide better.
You basically have implied tho that McDavid is a huge product of equipment and training while guys like Gretz and Mario were great from day 1.
McDavid was great from day 1 too. He was dominating older kids just like Gretz did. It's not his fault he grew in a different era with more evolved hockey

And saying he doesn't think the game as good as those guys is laughable. Might want to watch him some more. Maybe the looking at the bench for a line change fake he put on Morgan Reilly, the dangle thru an entire NYR team goal, and pretty much every pass and shot he takes he is actually looking in another direction to fake out dmen and goalies

McDavid would definitely be in the same tier as those guys back then. It wouldn't be a runaway for Gretz by no means

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
The good news was the Wings didn't crap the bed in the 2nd period.

The bad news is the Wings saved that for the 3rd period.

Seider struggled to contain McDavid but to me Walman was the bigger issue. I don't know if it's because he was trying to do too much but he reminded me of tasmanian devil Chiarot from last season.

Agreed, and I think part of that has to also do with trying to contain the Oilers. That's an incredibly talented roster, and I'm shocked they haven't found their way to a Cup final yet.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad