Post-Game Talk: Game 52: Caps @ Flyers | 2/17/22 | 7:00p ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I really don't want to see them target an average player either, but I think it's weird to suspect they will trade the farm for an average player under the current management. Under GMBM the biggest asset they've given away was Vrana+ for Mantha. The jury's out on that trade of course, but at least they got a proven top 6 player with term and got out from under Panik's cap hit.

The Shattenkirk trade was hardly a disaster either. Zach Sanford is a bottom 6 NHL player who doesn't move the needle, and the late first round pick ended up being Morgan Frost who is a fringe NHLer. Again, maybe not the best trade in hindsight but it's not like it set them back either.

The result of the Shattenkirk trade (basically no negative long-term consequences) is why I'm not scared of giving up assets for a very good rental.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
I really don't want to see them target an average player either, but I think it's weird to suspect they will trade the farm for an average player under the current management. Under GMBM the biggest asset they've given away was Vrana+ for Mantha. The jury's out on that trade of course, but at least they got a proven top 6 player with term and got out from under Panik's cap hit.

The Shattenkirk trade was hardly a disaster either. Zach Sanford is a bottom 6 NHL player who doesn't move the needle, and the late first round pick ended up being Morgan Frost who is a fringe NHLer. Again, maybe not the best trade in hindsight but it's not like it set them back either.

The result of the Shattenkirk trade (basically no negative long-term consequences) is why I'm not scared of giving up assets for a very good rental.
the trade wasnt disastrous sure, but if we give up assets it should be for someone [a rental] who is a good deal better than shattenkirk. ideally if we give up important assets we get someone with term

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
the trade wasnt disastrous sure, but if we give up assets it should be for someone [a rental] who is a good deal better than shattenkirk. ideally if we give up important assets we get someone with term

Sure but I think some of the available players will be quite a bit more impactful than Shattenkirk was. Shattenkirk was also more of a luxury than a necessity, however there now seem to be very big needs in the top 6 and at goaltender as well. Rentals at either of those positions, as long as they are truly impact players rather than just hopeful fill-ins, should be worth a first round pick+ for Washington.

Jun 15, 2007
The only thing saving the Mantha trade from being an unmitigated disaster is that Vrana also had a major injury.

Reactions: Capitals40

HurricaneFanatic

Jan 16, 2020
I watched this game, and while Ovi still has a shot at 894, it's not going to be easy. He seems to be slowing down as the year goes on.

In saying that he may now go get 10 in 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad