GDT: Game 51: Stars @ Coyotes - 7PM - FSAZ

GDT Effort

• Total voters

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Once the Stars found their skating legs it seems like their size has become a big factor. Coyotes getting out-muscled and blocked out. Stars are the heaviest team in the league and the Coyotes are 27th. Even if the Stars don't have what I'd traditionally think of as bruisers for the most part it still impacts the game with all the board play there has been tonight.

I thought size doesn't matter in this "new" NHL? We are not a big team and it showed like you said. Keller is on the ice more than on his skates, just like Turris when he was here. I usually don't complain about TOI, but game in game out I see Stepan's TOI much more than any other forward and again last night was no different. Keller was the closet who I thought had much more jump than before the break, but after that it gets laughable. You take away Martinook's 4 minutes of SHTOI and he played 6 minutes 5 on 5. I'm not a Rinaldo fan, but why do you sit him against a big team like Dallas?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Stayed home for this one and I can't believe Nash's drivel. He can't even choose good lipstick to put on the pig.

The Coyotes collapse. They've been doing it all year. Coaching.

I don't know what the answer is but we have seen it all year. I had put most of the blame on the vets to start the year, but the team as a whole seem to be out of sync. How do you play one fantastic period and then s--- the bed for the next two? Like rt said, rinse and repeat. The players still have to take responsibility on the way they played. You can blame coaching all you want, but the team started good and then, nothing. The coaches had them ready. Are we overestimating our talent?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
How to be the Coyotes in four easy steps:
1. Score first
2. Stop working
3. Blow lead
4. Fall apart
What our opponents think:
1. Off day, coyotes are bad
2. Take it easy in first period
3. If you are behind, play harder in second period
4. Once warmed up and engaged, dominate period 3

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I don't know what the answer is but we have seen it all year. I had put most of the blame on the vets to start the year, but the team as a whole seem to be out of sync. How do you play one fantastic period and then s--- the bed for the next two? Like rt said, rinse and repeat. The players still have to take responsibility on the way they played. You can blame coaching all you want, but the team started good and then, nothing. The coaches had them ready. Are we overestimating our talent?
Teams take us lightly and are half speed the first period. Then they play harder, if they have to, next 2 periods. If other teams played hard for 60 minutes we would get beat worse every night. I still think it’s coaching mostly, getting less with more.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Also have been rear ended this season going to the Yote's game. Realllly wish drivers would pay attention when driving. Seriously, it's the ONE thing that you gotta do as a driver. ANYWAYS... the game was not good. PP was horrible beyond comprehension. Same ole story it felt like.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

Possibly overestimating the talent, but ultimately it is playing together as a team and looking functional in doing so. We have made some progress, but obviously not near enough.

Teams take us lightly and are half speed the first period. Then they play harder, if they have to, next 2 periods. If other teams played hard for 60 minutes we would get beat worse every night. I still think it’s coaching mostly, getting less with more.

I think that it is also a case where the team knows that it can't keep up for the entire game, so the hope is that we jump out to an early enough lead that it forces the other team to take risks that we can further capitalize on later.

I also agree with the coaching aspect. We can say all we want about how young this team is, but there were far more rookies on the team last year. By all accounts, Fischer and Keller are the only two rookies playing meaningful minutes. Last year, it was Chychrun, Perlini, and Dvorak, and small effective stints from Crouse and DeAngelo. Last year is when we technically should have been far worse. I think that as much as people complained about Tippett's lack of change, we actually made far better in-game adjustments in previous years compared to this year. There was at least a mindset of what needed to get done each period. I don't always see that this year. Could just be a result of the season to date, but I feel like we continue on the same path and don't make some adjustments as the game goes on. Trying players with different line combos is an adjustment, but in some cases, mixing certain players also means changing the ways that you attack. As Tippett used to say about Fiddler - when the first line was supposed to come out with an attacking game plan and they became passive, he would stick Fiddler on that line for a few shifts to energize that line going forward. I am assuming that also meant that if the team got down early and needed to push the pace, Fiddler may also have been moved up to a line to push that change for that very reason. I am not certain that we have our "go-to" players figured out yet. The obvious one from the past would be someone like Hanzal taking as many defensive zone draws within the final 2-3 minutes of the game as possible. I don't know if we have that and frankly, even if we are just figuring that out, it shouldn't take half the season to come to a conclusion there.

Reactions: cobra427

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
There are plenty of things to complain about this season, but all we can do at this point is hope they experiment a bit to determine who we want to keep versus who we try to trade (or not re-sign). The game was horrible, but then we did have Wedgewood playing in goal, no Demers, and the Coyotes have already lost to the Stars 3-1 & 5-4 (so in averaging that, I figured it'd be a 4-2 loss, so we only did slightly worse than I expected). I have also noticed that after longer breaks, we typically blow the first games back. With that in mind, I can only hope that we improve and don't fall into this 1 month good 1 month bad pattern.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
820.jpeg

@MIG

cobra427

May 6, 2012
G
Possibly overestimating the talent, but ultimately it is playing together as a team and looking functional in doing so. We have made some progress, but obviously not near enough.

I think that it is also a case where the team knows that it can't keep up for the entire game, so the hope is that we jump out to an early enough lead that it forces the other team to take risks that we can further capitalize on later.

I also agree with the coaching aspect. We can say all we want about how young this team is, but there were far more rookies on the team last year. By all accounts, Fischer and Keller are the only two rookies playing meaningful minutes. Last year, it was Chychrun, Perlini, and Dvorak, and small effective stints from Crouse and DeAngelo. Last year is when we technically should have been far worse. I think that as much as people complained about Tippett's lack of change, we actually made far better in-game adjustments in previous years compared to this year. There was at least a mindset of what needed to get done each period. I don't always see that this year. Could just be a result of the season to date, but I feel like we continue on the same path and don't make some adjustments as the game goes on. Trying players with different line combos is an adjustment, but in some cases, mixing certain players also means changing the ways that you attack. As Tippett used to say about Fiddler - when the first line was supposed to come out with an attacking game plan and they became passive, he would stick Fiddler on that line for a few shifts to energize that line going forward. I am assuming that also meant that if the team got down early and needed to push the pace, Fiddler may also have been moved up to a line to push that change for that very reason. I am not certain that we have our "go-to" players figured out yet. The obvious one from the past would be someone like Hanzal taking as many defensive zone draws within the final 2-3 minutes of the game as possible. I don't know if we have that and frankly, even if we are just figuring that out, it shouldn't take half the season to come to a conclusion there.
Good post. I do wonder about tactical in game adjustments, and i think Tip was much better at it then Tocc. That could be partly why we get worse or they get better as the game moves along and maybe partly what i was saying about being taken lightly at first.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Good post. We had a fantastic first period, and then Dallas adjusted for the second and then we didn't or couldn't adjust for the remainder of the game. Maybe that is whats happening. We come out of the gate all guns and speed a blazing and do well, then the other team adjusts and RT doesn't. So if the players are following the game plan and RT doesn't adjust, it makes the players look bad. All I know is this year was a big disappointment and there is much blame to be had by all.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I believe there is no comparison.

Believe what you want. Too many times the past two seasons an opposing team could make adjustments after the first period and we had absolutely no answer until late in the third..... if ever. If so.... then they both suck at adjusting.

Reactions: Yandover

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Believe what you want. Too many times the past two seasons an opposing team could make adjustments after the first period and we had absolutely no answer until late in the third..... if ever. If so.... then they both suck at adjusting.
I guess I could go back and count the collapses but I am sure they were less under Tip. Remember everyone complaining about playing "protect the lead" hockey? We are on pace for 50 points with a way better roster then the 70 point team last year, so adjustments: Tip>Tocc easily and by a wide margin.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
TIL:

5 straight years of miserable failure and futility = a-okay

But

1/2 season of miserable failure and futility = heads better ****ing roll!

Got it! Good job boys!
So much for the promised "new dawn, new day".,

This team was billed as having far more talent than seen in the last 5 years. We had a strong cadre of young and talented players. We had an up and coming coach who was past his gambling issues. What could go wrong?

Reactions: Jakey53

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I would dispute the "way" part of way better. Pretty sure I've done that before and was ignored so just putting that out there again.
Lets just say the roster is slightly better, lets even say it is equal. Why are we on a 50 versus 70 point pace? That is a 30% decline in points. Is it coaching? I think it is. If its not coaching, we must have less talent. Would a partial year of Hanzal be better then Stepan? Doubt it. Then trading Smith and letting Verby walk were mistakes right?

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad