GDT: Game # 51 Rangers vs Islanders - 7pm EST - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
Again, it's not all or nothing.

I know in the political landscape we live in, that you're either completely for something or someone or against them, but there is room to have scenarios where you disagree and don't like some things, and agree and like others.

That's honestly what drives me f***ing nuts about this topic. It's like it devolves into a wrestling promo.

"I don't like that Quinn does A, B, C, and D. It drives me nuts."

"Yeah, f*** Quinn he's the worst coach ever."

"Well, I mean Trottier, Lowe and..."

"And all the players hate him!"

"Well, no that's not exactly tr..."

"And management gives him a free pass!"

"No, that's not true at all."

"And he kicks puppies and makes babies cry."

"Okay now this is getting a bit..."

"Yeah, I hope he takes a dirt nap!"

"Jesus, this is getting kinda crazy."

"Worst hockey ever! Worst coach ever! We're f***ed!!!!! f***ed I tell ya!!!!"
i find it interesting that Quinn was brought in to be a developmental coach and yet he continues to play the vets failing badly. Last time i checked if you get brought in to do a job and fail at it. You are gone.

Maybe i am just use to the NFL world where the shelf live on players and coaches are minimal.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I don’t care if the fourth line has its shit together more than Zibanejad or Panarin, the top lines at 50% still give you a better chance to score. Please stop rolling out Howden and Rooney when you’re behind in the game.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Now you've done it. lol. I really don't know what to make of him to be honest, yes he's been great defensively, and he's been improved on the walls, no question about that. But he's basically a non-factor off the rush which might limit his offensive potential, especially on a team like the Rangers when offense off the rush and going east-west is their bread and butter.
it won't be. they are slowly moving to being a N/S puck possession team. think Chicago Blackhawks, with Panarin as Kane, but the other guys being Hossa and Toews. they are very clearly prioritizing making the kids well rounded players early in their careers to cement behaviors. at least it seems really obvious to me. but im not slobbering about quinn sucking and despairing over their counting stats.

Reactions: egelband

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
i find it interesting that Quinn was brought in to be a developmental coach and yet he continues to play the vets failing badly. Last time i checked if you get brought in to do a job and fail at it. You are gone.

Maybe i am just use to the NFL world where the shelf live on players and coaches are minimal.

The thing is that while we can debate how he's using the forwards, and I certainly do not agree with the ice time they are getting, I do think we are developing them and making them better players.

My beef with DQ on the issue is more that I think we're making it harder than it needs to be, or put another way, we're not as efficient as we could be.

I can take the good with the bad on that for DQ. I've never liked the approach of everything bad is the coach's fault and everything good is in spite of him. I think that tends to miss the point that it's somewhere in the middle.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
I don’t care if the fourth line has its shit together more than Zibanejad or Panarin, the top lines at 50% still give you a better chance to score. Please stop rolling out Howden and Rooney when you’re behind in the game.
Down 3 and a mere 12 minutes lewft. Still Rolling downthe river.... a la the notso MightyQuinnn

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
The thing is that while we can debate how he's using the forwards, and I certainly do not agree with the ice time they are getting, I do think we are developing them and making them better players.

My beef with DQ on the issue is more that I think we're making it harder than we need to be, or put another way, we're not as efficient as we could be.

I can take the good with the bad on that for DQ. I've never liked the approach of everything bad is the coach's fault and everything good is in spite of him. I think that tends to miss the point that it's somewhere in the middle.
I think that the young players will be better Defensively because of Quinn. but i think thats the only thing they will be able to take from quinn,

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Now you've done it. lol. I really don't know what to make of him to be honest, yes he's been great defensively, and he's been improved on the walls, no question about that. But he's basically a non-factor off the rush which might limit his offensive potential, especially on a team like the Rangers when offense off the rush and going east-west is their bread and butter.

Kakko doesn't get a chance. He's driven play and suppressed chances against, he's even put up points in stretches. He's played a 15:00 min game twice this month

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think that the young players will be better Defensively because of Quinn. but i think thats the only thing they will be able to take from quinn,

I think their best days will come long after DQ is gone, no matter how the coach approaches things. And fully expect that when those days arrive, most fans will probably still be debating DQ's impact and whether they are doing so well because he's gone or because it's part of their natural development cycle.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Kakko doesn't get a chance. He's driven play and suppressed chances against, he's even put up points in stretches. He's played a 15:00 min game twice this month
Also, maybe we should just not be an east-west rush team seeing as we drafted two golden geese and neither of them skate particularly well.

Like, the Rangers know they can change the system, right?

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland

My beef with DQ on the issue is more that I think we're making it harder than we need to be, or put another way, we're not as efficient as we could be.

David Quinn has no future here. NONE. Whatsover. His best before date has to be real close. And.. .other changes are needed too. Coaching and personel. Talent and assets are almost there. It looksverypromising actually. Seal the deal and close the bag. GEt the job done now Big Boys...

effen

Feb 3, 2018
this is a hard truth, and LOTS of guys don't do this right now, but he also doesn't impose his will on a game. he very much takes whats there and even steals a little, but he's not forcing the issue. there were games he was, and he got 19 mins those games.

when you're not forcing him, quinn's gonna go with guys with history, like most coaches.

Reactions: egelband

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I still can't get over the fact that in a game this important, DQ decided out of the clear blue sky to throw a Hajek-shaped grenade at the best defenseman in the league.

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I still can't get over the fact that in a game this important, DQ decided out of the clear blue sky to throw a Hajek-shaped grenade at the best defenseman in the league.
Ehh idk

I can see the logic. “Fox is so good he can even play well with Libor”

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Don't think people realize what that timeline is; it ain't next year

I think, to some extent, there's also a disagreement on this team's abilities at the present time, compared to the team's abilities when it's developed and gained experience.

It's kind of like savings bonds. People look at the number on the bonds and they say, "We should be rich! Why the hell are we struggling to pay the bills?"

But the bond hasn't matured yet, so even though it might say $5,000 on it, it's only worth a fraction of that right now.

I don't think DQ will be the coach beyond next season. But I also don't think that we're an uber-talented team that is failing to meet expectations. I really do think we're right about where we should be.

Right down to the slow star and the late season surge ultimately falling short, literally all of this is stuff I talked about on here months ago.

Some people just did not want to hear that. At all. Likewise, I've been saying for close to a year now that some big decisions are looming on the horizon for guys like Zibanejad and Buch, with their being legit concerns about the former. People did not want to hear that.

So at some point, I get the anger and frustration. I feel both as well. But none of this should be a surprise. It really shouldn't. The conversations in April 2021 are not all that different than they were in December 2020.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This keeps coming up so maybe I should just say it: it's absolutely not ok that this team gets brutalized on faceoffs on a nightly basis and I don't think anybody in the analytics community has implied that it is.

Here's what we have said:

1) The absolute best faceoff guys in the world lose 4 out of 10, so you can't look at a one-play sample of the other team scoring off the faceoff and say "well, that doesn't happen if we win the faceoff." Nobody just wins the faceoff all the time.

2) Faceoffs don't drive individual performance metrics in a meaningful way. If Player A is better than Player B, but player A wins 0% of his faceoffs and Player B wins 100% of his faceoffs, Player A is still better and will perform better in every stat (except faceoffs).

But as a team, over large samples, yes, it hurts.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Thoughts:

Will this organization ever get it in their thick heads that face-offs matter? I feel like this has been an issue for the last TWENTY years

Hot potato passing/clears. I mean, you struggle all shift long to get possession, get it, and it's the end of the shift so you clear it right to the Islanders. This is exactly what they want you to do and the Rangers did it, and chased the game, all night long. If you're struggling that much to get the puck then you better make a much better effort to keep it when you do

Stick checking, lack of physicality, lack of discipline, "big guns" disappearing, etc... I'm not an anti-Quinn guy, but he clearly can't coach playoff hockey.

Howden, Kravstov, Kakko are your best players. If those are your three stars, and nothing against these young men, then you're going to lose against a seasoned veteran playoff team like the Islanders like boys vs. men.

I didn't look up numbers but how bad was Zibanejad on the draws tonight? Holy hell.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Right down to the slow star and the late season surge ultimately falling short, literally all of this is stuff I talked about on here months ago.
When the movie plays out exactly the same next year, this place is going to be mt vesuvius

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
David Quinn has no future here. NONE. Whatsover. His best before date has to be real close. And.. .other changes are needed too. Coaching and personel. Talent and assets are almost there. It looksverypromising actually. Seal the deal and close the bag. GEt the job done now Big Boys...
His expiration date has passed imo. He's no longer the right man for the job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad