Post-Game Talk: GAME 51 - #$@&%*!#$@&%*! Flyers 3 BRUINS 2 F/OT

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I want to do more then just qualify for the playoffs.... For the reasons which have been eloquently explained here by Bruin fans...in a nutshell if that window of opportunity still exists imo it is closing rapidly

in history... in the past 40 years... how many teams won a cup and bounced back within the decade to win again?

Chicago... LA...
Detroit... New Jersey?
am I missing anyone?
Pittsburgh do they count?

sure we would all like to see our core win again

when bobby orr, phil Esposito. and those boys were the core... im sure the fans wanted to win again

but how realistic is it to 'expect' it to happen? what are the odds? I will hope with you all that we can win again.

5 years ago we fired Chiarelli... everyone said this team was in shambles. that we would never recover. that our cap was shot... we had no prosects… chara was finished... Thomas was finished... marchand should be traded as a disgrace to the team...

and here was are… close enough that fans say we have a window. I think that shows the brain trust has did a good job and gotten the fans faith back up. lets keep on the bandwagon so we wont feel like fake fans just in case these guys do something this year

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
If they keep shuffling these forward lines, magically something will change.

Hey, maybe they can have auditions in the local community. There must be some diamonds in the rough playing in men’s leagues in New England.

Perhaps do another “Be a Bruin” special.

If none of that works, then MAYBE look at making a trade for a second line NHL player.

MAYBE.
PLEASE, don't give Sweeney any ideas!

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
You know guys I remember the devils fired their coach at seasons end and were already in playoffs but felt to get the holy grail they wanted Larry Robinson to take the helm and they were right voila the cup. I wouldn't mind if Donny had the wits to do this and bring quenveille who someone suggested here. Get a proven winner and you never know.

Reactions: Strafer

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Pour a glass of wine into 3 other glasses of water and you get 4 glasses of something not worth drinking.

or take your favorite pail of ice cream and mix it with your pail of pig manure and you will magically have 2 pails of pig maneur

that said... our team has been pretty damn good this year dealing with mind numbing injuries and still on pace with near 100 points for the regular season

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
teams that play high intensity wrapped to the limit all regular season... often seem to be burnt out for playoffs. we are NOT a super skilled team that will win a lot without our A GAME. if Cassidy is bag skating this team into the ground in January I would fear we would be out of gas at playoffs.

playing skin tight defense is the result of hard work. as for the offense... that's usually the result of god given skill and taking advantage of opportunities. if we are playing this way in march I will panic with the rest of you.

for now... it makes me curse and shut the tv off and say we need a trade... but then I tell myself im 50 years old and they've never awarded the cup based on games in January ever in my entire life
As demoralizing as it has been watching this team lately the Bruins are tied with the Canadians right now . Even if the Bruins went on a tear does anyone think they were overtaking Tampa ? I still believe this team can finish ahead of the Canadians . Let’s get our shit together, make an upgrade and get ready for the Leafs .

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
Scoring 2 goals a game is not a recipe for success. This team needs help in the top 6, and we have known that since November. Outside of the top line this teams shooting percentage is horrendous. I don't think the issue lies with the capability of the players to shoot the puck. I think this is more of an issue with the lack of left to right puck movement from other lines. After watching tonight, it looked to me as if players aren't posting up on the far side of the net with their stick on the ice. Instead they are skating to the back of the net looking for the cycle. If you already have 2 forwards in a battle for the puck play the pass, not the cycle.

It might also help if players started to shoot in odd man situations instead of throwing it into the defender. Either try to pick the short side corner, go five hole, or put it on the goalies far right pad and look for a rebound.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
in history... in the past 40 years... how many teams won a cup and bounced back within the decade to win again?

Chicago... LA...
Detroit... New Jersey?
am I missing anyone?

when bobby orr, phil Esposito. and those boys were the core... im sure the fans wanted to win again

but how realistic is it to 'expect' it to happen? what are the odds? I will hope with you all that we can win again.

5 years ago we fired Chiarelli... everyone said this team was in shambles. that we would never recover. that our cap was shot... we had no prosects… chara was finished... Thomas was finished... marchand should be traded as a disgrace to the team...

and here was are… close enough that fans say we have a window. I think that shows the brain trust has did a good job and gotten the fans faith back up. lets keep on the bandwagon so we wont feel like fake fans just in case these guys do something this year

Poop or get off the pot.Cannot sit in mediocre land and expect fans to be happy at them prices.You either plug them 2 holes or build for down the line.I have the looking for a couple playoff gates feeling

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I went tonight and a couple things really stand out.
1-based on tonight McAvoy has a long way to go to become a good defenseman much less a top 4. The Chara haters can blame him for how bad they were as a pair but McAvoy was out of position frequently. It may have been only one game but I put more on seeing a player live than on tv and his hockey sense concerns me.

2-Wagner takes way too much grief from the DPB on here. He hits and looks to finish his hits on every play. Liked his game a lot.

3-Carlo is becoming a very good top 3 shut down defender. Tried to do much at times but when he stays simple plays a good game and makes good first pass out of the zone.

4-David Backes covered for Frederic a lot tonight but you can see Frederic is going to be a good middle 6 player.

5-Heinen was pretty good, that line may become good over time if left alone but putting him or Cehlarik on the second line is not the answer unless they are trying for a lottery pick.

6-Cassidy continues to show he is not an NHL coach. In over his head on basic coaching issues, how to use his lines and line matching really stand out as below average. Blaming the players after is the same garbage he pulled in Washington. I don't think his tenure will last much longer.

7-I could list all the reason Donny Dunderhead sucks but it would take too long. He needs to go, now

Last edited:

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
They better not lay an egg against Washington, or against the islanders on Bergeron's 1000th game

View attachment 181583

iHm1A1x.gif

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005

Cassidy wants a leader? How about he steps up as a leader and not allow things like Bergeron being thrown out of every faceoff against certain teams.

*especially when everything is on the line during playoff games.

(keep in mind that I love him as our coach)

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
You know guys I remember the devils fired their coach at seasons end and were already in playoffs but felt to get the holy grail they wanted Larry Robinson to take the helm and they were right voila the cup. I wouldn't mind if Donny had the wits to do this and bring quenveille who someone suggested here. Get a proven winner and you never know.

That will never happen because Bruce is over .600 winning % as coach here .They even miss playoffs it will be on radio etc they never got Bruce the help he needed .Bruce seems safe in my mind but man he does some eye popping moves.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Poop or get off the pot.Cannot sit in mediocre land and expect fans to be happy at them prices.You either plug them 2 holes or build for down the line.I have the looking for a couple playoff gates feeling

I hear fans in Edmonton daily... 'I just want to still be in the playoff race at christmas' they say

I hear fans in Vancouver and calgary sometimes... 'just make the playoffs... give us some playoff hockey please'

I used to hear fans in toronto... cant we win a round?

I used to hear fans in Washington, st louis and san jose… why cant we get past these teams and at least make the finals?

and I hear fans in places like boston, la, and Chicago... our window is closing we need 1 more cup before we break things up

the definition of mediocre will move like goalposts on a field... but no matter how much success a team has fans will always say we didn't do enough

sinden got us to cup finals in 88 and 90... but he was too cheap to win anything

this team won a president trouphy but lost in first round of playoffs... not enough

we led the league in goals... but we don't play exciting hockey

doesn't matter... none of it matters... if this team loses a game in jan in ot to philly… it doest matter

we will always say its not enough

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I went tonight and a couple things really stand out.
1-basrd on tonight McAvoy has a long way to go to become a good defenseman much less a top 4. The Chara gators can blame him for how bad they were as a pair but McAvoy was out of position frequently. It may have been only one game but I put more on seeing a player live than on tv and his hockey sense concerns me.

2-Wagner takes way too much grief from the DPB on here. He hits and looks to finish his hits on every play. Liked his game a lot.

3-Carlo is becoming a very good top 3 shut down defender. Tried to do much at times but when he stays simple plays a good game and makes good first pass out of the zone.

4-David Backes covered for Frederic a lot tonight but you can see Frederic is going to be a good middle 6 player.

5-Heinen was pretty good, that line may become good over time if left alone but putting him or Cehlarik on the second line is not the answer unless they are trying for a lottery pick.

6-Cassidy continues to show he is not an NHL coach. In over his head on basic coaching issues, how to use his lines and line matching really stand out as below average. Blaming the players after is the same garbage he pulled in Washington. I don't think his tenure will last much longer.

7-I could list all the reason Donny Dunderhead sucks but it would take too long. He needs to go, now

Could not agree more with the bolded two items. McAvoy is really struggling, and it is not like it's a recent thing. It dates back to late last season. As for Cassidy, done with his act. The sooner he goes the better. He has hit his ceiling as a coach. No chance he has what it takes to guide a team to a Cup.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
That will never happen because Bruce is over .600 winning % as coach here .They even miss playoffs it will be on radio etc they never got Bruce the help he needed .Bruce seems safe in my mind but man he does some eye popping moves.
Cassidy needs to do something or else his tenure won't last long. First move get danton off the team. His experiment is over. Get a 4th round pick for him. Thats his value right now.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Does dealing next year’s first for Nash 2.0 put Boston over the top?

Does it improve their odds? Do they go from a 30% chance against TB to 35? 40?

Just spitballing.

Does Sweeney “owe it” to the guys in the locker room to make that deal?

He does owe it to them.They were riddled with injuries and fought .You think the stars on this team do not know where the holes are and who is not fixing them?I bet Krecji knows.They make millions though so pain is somewhat eased lol

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
In the second period he had Kuraly instead of Cehlarik with Krejci and DeBrusk to close the period. I guess Cassidy thought Heinen could be the difference maker in this game. And he proved himself right. Heinen was the difference maker. Just how not to win the game in regulation.

Was there tonight for the first time in a year or so and I truly didn’t appreciate how absolutely vanilla Heinen is until tonight.

Only he and the refs look worse in person than on TV.

He just does nothing out there. Loses battles along the wall, turns the puck over left and right, doesn’t hit, doesn’t score...I think he may breathe and sweat a little, but you really cant tell for sure.

The fact that he’s played as much as he has this year is the clearest indicator of how bad forwards 5-12 are that there could possibly be.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
You guys know if danton scored on that super quality gifted chance where my younger niece whose 12 yrs old would have probably potted in . We would be singing a different tune right now. He needs to be packaged and salvage this sinking asset. I still feel we can get a 3rd round pick for him. Donny needs to get this bare minimum.

Reactions: BBruins and Strafer

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016

Chicago... LA...
Detroit... New Jersey?
am I missing anyone?

Edmonton , Isles and why you asking if Pitt counts?
You're question how many teams have won more than one cup in decade in the last 40 years?

I don't totally agree. The turn around of this team happened with the firing of Julien(icouldn't stand him).. however I didn't feel a change in coaching could have made such a difference.i thought it was a matter of time before the well ran dry but it survived not necessarily thrived but survived. Cassidy brought on a positive energy to this team that surprised many including DS
Reason being...had he felt Cassidy was his man from the getgo ...he would not have hired him on an interim basis.. He would have been the man the way say Julien was hired in MTL.
Aside from that I've voiced my opinion already and no I am not satisfied overall with DS unless one compares him to Chia which I do not.
I will also say at the risk of sounding "negative" that i do not see a great future I see an OK future at best ..of course at this point..

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Was there tonight for the first time in a year or so and I truly didn’t appreciate how absolutely vanilla Heinen is until tonight.

Only he and the refs look worse in person than on TV.

He just does nothing out there. Loses battles along the wall, turns the puck over left and right, doesn’t hit, doesn’t score...I think he may breathe and sweat a little, but you really cant tell for sure.

The fact that he’s played as much as he has this year is the clearest indicator of how bad forwards 5-12 are that there could possibly be.
Yeah but the "Metrics" :help::ha:

Reactions: sarge88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad