Post-Game Talk: Game 51 - Enjoy Vacation Bruins - BRUINS 3 Vegas 2 F

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I was thinking about this and wondering if Heinen isn't the odd man out if this keeps up. Kuhlman has looked terrific. a Kreider-Krejci-Kuhlman line would be fast, heavy, and force DK to keep his feet moving. If we can keep Heinen to have depth & options I'm good with it, but I also wouldn't hesitate to move him for the right upgrade and I wouldn't worry terribly about having Kuhlman on the right side if we keep getting the performance we're getting out of the Coyle line.
Would we have to call it the KKK line?

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
jake and Ritchie will never be players that think the game at a high level IMO but I don’t think he meant it like it came across.

I think Debrusk does, he just does it at a much greater speed than an Heinen, he's not as cerebral, but I think he has a very high hockey IQ. ritchie on the other hand, not so much,and no it wasn't, it was meant more as a complement to his new line-mates.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Danton Heinen has killed a lot of y’all’s dogs huh?

There are two things about the Heinen sucks brigade that frustrate me.
  1. There are players who've played for the Bruins this year (and in the past) who actually suck, so it should be easy enough to distinguish Heinen from them.
  2. The same people who think he sucks ALSO think they can trade him for an upgrade. So which is it? Does he suck or does he have value? It can't be both.
*Disclaimer* I understand there are posters with more nuanced views who are frustrated by certain things he does, but don't think he's a bad player. The problem is that most of the posts come off as thinking he's one of the worst players in the league, which isn't even close to being true.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I have no idea what Heinens done to garner this much love or hate to be honest. I like him, think he can be a poor mans Reilly Smith eventually but he’s a third liner at present moment. His best year was his first year and that’s not a good thing three years in. He also isn’t horrible like some make him out to be.
I don’t think he’s horrible, he’s just a guy I don’t want to go to war with come April.

Reactions: duffy

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
mocha Joe!
14435026_180212449052873_2509807990810111806_o.jpg

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I don’t think he’s horrible, he’s just a guy I don’t want to go to war with come April.

I can't say that's not a fair opinion. He's been benched for making soft plays and even scratched, in Decemeber or whatever, so how is he supposed to contribute at the level the play-offs are played at? I don't see any new urgency on that side of his game.

I do think he is really coming around in the O zone though. I like what I've seen.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Why the hate on Heinen today? He made a beautiful play to set up the Krejci goal.
Yes, he did. He also had a couple of turnovers and a couple of sequences where he could have better on the boards. There's good and bad in his game, like most younger guys. I didn't see Charlie's post as hate on Heinen, just an observation that he's made some poor plays, along with some very good ones, like you observed.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
You know what I've come around on Heinen.

If he's our 9th best forward that's not too bad, it could be worse. Not his fault he's not capable of being any better than that on a contending team.

Those of us with higher expectations wanted Heinen to desperately fill that 8th/9th forward role, and to play it well. He's just so far, a very average 9th forward.

All up to Sweeney to bring in that one winger....

I've got to disagree with this, or rather, adjust your numbers slightly. I think he's closer to a 7th forward.

Depending on the minimum games played you use, he's somewhere around 200-215st in points per game among forwards. You average it out based on 31 teams, and he'd be right around 7th, maybe 8th, on each team. In fact, he's 7th on the Bruins among forwards.

His defensive game moves him up a bit, but then maybe his lack of PK time moves him back to his original place.

Anyway, this is mostly to say that I think we overestimate the number of good forwards throughout the league and what it means to be a 2nd or 3rd liner.

I think the expectations, considering his draft position and current salary, should be that he's a mid-level 3rd line player, and I'd say he's just that. One of the things that I like about him is that his high hockey IQ allows you to move him up the lineup, where he can play with more talented players without looking out of place, as we saw when Pastrnak was injured last year.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Heinen is what he is, the Derek Stepan or Alexander Wennberg of other teams.

In years time he will be remembered like Rob DiMiao.

Not good enough for top 6, not tough enough for the 4th line, but a 3rd liner.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I was thinking about this and wondering if Heinen isn't the odd man out if this keeps up. Kuhlman has looked terrific. a Kreider-Krejci-Kuhlman line would be fast, heavy, and force DK to keep his feet moving. If we can keep Heinen to have depth & options I'm good with it, but I also wouldn't hesitate to move him for the right upgrade and I wouldn't worry terribly about having Kuhlman on the right side if we keep getting the performance we're getting out of the Coyle line.
I like Heinen, and think he gets too much unwarranted grief here. But I'm with you. If he's the guy who gets moved to help bring in a solid 2RW, I'm perfectly OK with him leaving. There are only a few really untouchables on the roster, and he's definitely not one of them.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
DeBrusk does disappear too often, he needs to be more consistent especially since he doesn't bring much else besides goal scoring. Heinen has tough games to be sure (like all of his teammates) and last night was one of them but for the most part he is a very reliable player. I think his biggest problem is constantly being shifted up & down the lineup, Cassidy needs to put him on 1 line and just leave him there.

For the record my whipping boy is #63. I can't stand him.
Confirmed!

Reactions: BMC

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I have no idea what Heinens done to garner this much love or hate to be honest. I like him, think he can be a poor mans Reilly Smith eventually but he’s a third liner at present moment. His best year was his first year and that’s not a good thing three years in. He also isn’t horrible like some make him out to be.
Holy Crap Lou! Stop being measured and rational. You know that's not allowed here!

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Danton Heinen since being put back on the LW in Nashville

8GP / 1G / 5A / 0.75 pgp

He's also thrown 9 hits which won't wow folks, but considering his H/GP prior to this 8 game stretch was 0.42 and during this 8 game stretch is over 1.00, I'll take it.

Now back to your regular scheduled Heinen bashing :popcorn:

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Danton Heinen since being put back on the LW in Nashville

8GP / 1G / 5A / 0.75 pgp

He's also thrown 9 hits which won't wow folks, but considering his H/GP prior to this 8 game stretch was 0.42 and during this 8 game stretch is over 1.00, I'll take it.

Now back to your regular scheduled Heinen bashing :popcorn:
How about him being not only the first forward in but also in the middle of that scrum after the mcavoy boarding.

Reactions: OneManIsNoMan

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I've got to disagree with this, or rather, adjust your numbers slightly. I think he's closer to a 7th forward.

Depending on the minimum games played you use, he's somewhere around 200-215st in points per game among forwards. You average it out based on 31 teams, and he'd be right around 7th, maybe 8th, on each team. In fact, he's 7th on the Bruins among forwards.

His defensive game moves him up a bit, but then maybe his lack of PK time moves him back to his original place.

Anyway, this is mostly to say that I think we overestimate the number of good forwards throughout the league and what it means to be a 2nd or 3rd liner.

I think the expectations, considering his draft position and current salary, should be that he's a mid-level 3rd line player, and I'd say he's just that. One of the things that I like about him is that his high hockey IQ allows you to move him up the lineup, where he can play with more talented players without looking out of place, as we saw when Pastrnak was injured last year.

4th round pick, 116 overall.

Yet he was getting big hype from several posters here.

At a rookie camp I went to, happened to mention liking Kuraly & Donato (not mentioning Heinen). Couple of posters (not the hypers) seemed to think I completely missed a Wayne Gretzky out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad