GDT: GAME #51: Canucks 2 vs. Hurricanes 5: Hurricane Neddy too much to contain

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I have a problem with it because he basically chased the guy up the ice and ended up doing nothing except getting penalised.

A smart player would have taken his opportunity in a better "way".

But Gudbranson is not a smart player and that is the crux of the issue.
Why did he chase the guy up ice Lonny?

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
You’re really going to include the injury to Nilsson lol

the fact that they added a point per game rookie who is already the best player on the team and are no better than in past years is remarkable. Especially considering that we were one of the worst teams in the league over the past 3 seasons

They also lost two 50 points players in the Sedins. Before the season many fans around the league were predicting Vancouver to finish dead last.

swedehollow

Aug 15, 2018
Why doesn't Boeser just shoot one timers but instead receiving the pass and then shoot it, only to see the opportunity go away? Several times, not just in this game, I've noticed this... It's better even getting a bad shot away then to let the goalie get into position. Basic, really. A lot of PP goals have been wasted this way...

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
So this 6 game home stand heading into our bye week. We played ALL non playoff caliber teams and have been constantly out shot and out hustled and out worked in every game.

Reactions: geebaan

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
So this 6 game home stand heading into our bye week. We played ALL non playoff caliber teams and have been constantly out shot and out hustled and out worked in every game.

Yeah... we got points in every game but against the Hurricanes, but these matchups should have been soft as butter.

If the team keeps playing like this we will be getting a higher pick at least? But it's going to suck the enjoyment out of these next games after the break.

Oh well, at least I can enjoy the Petey AllStar highlights.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
I feel like in all this Gudbranson talk, the fact that Pouliot may have had the worst game I've ever seen a Vancouver Canucks defenseman have is getting forgotten about

It was about as abysmal a performance defensively I have ever seen. Was he ever correctly in position instead of chasing the play? I've never seen a guy in the NHL look as confused as he did this game. Like a deer in headlights at all times. I'm hoping Biega can draw in for him for the rest of the bloody season because he needs to go

Gudbranson was also an adventure, and you think a staunch "stay at home defender" could cover for Pou's defensive mistakes, but he has no clue. He's not great defensively, not physical (unless his emotions get the best of him apparently...), and can't produce offense. What exactly can he do for us?

I think replacing those two guys with two min salary guys on the bottom pairing would be better than continuing to pay either of them. Hughes can't come soon enough to replace one of them, I only hope that another defender can come along to replace the other. That pairing was an adventure from puck drop

Reactions: geebaan

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Derrick Pouliot has the occasional offensive “flashes of brilliance” where you think to yourself, “ok......NOW I see why he was drafted so high once upon a time,” but those defensive gaffes of his are too glaring and too frequent. I honestly don’t know if he’ll be able to make the necessary corrections.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

In the end, the only thing that matters is if you win. The team may have won ugly in a lot of those games, but they still found a way.

If the situation had been reversed, I don’t think ANY Flames fan, Leafs fan, Oilers fan, or TeamTankAntiBenning would be making any excuses whatsoever. Those 4 “entities” would be kicking the Canucks in the gut as hard as possible.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
They also lost two 50 points players in the Sedins. Before the season many fans around the league were predicting Vancouver to finish dead last.

The Sedins were not that good last year and their production wouldn’t be very difficult to replace

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
ok i fell asleep during the first while putting the kiddo to sleep and missed the rest of the game.

but fwiw, two observations from watching the highlights:

- that tic-tac-tic-toe goal, amazing. petey and boeser didn't share a womb, and neither is as big, strong, or solid as the post-lockout sedins but man am i crazy to see the potential for them to grow together and peak at the sedins' 2010 and 2011 level?

- gudbranson and roussel, where was this when petey was being targeted? says everything you need to know about the me-first character of this team's veterans and the toxic culture of the team in general. but, as someone said in an earlier thread, that's what you get when you treat the team's loyal aging core like pieces of disposable garbage and replace them with overpaid ringers on probably their last north american pro contracts.

and an afterthought to that last thought, anyone get the feeling edler is going to mats sundin us? honestly, i don't see why he wouldn't.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Why doesn't Boeser just shoot one timers but instead receiving the pass and then shoot it, only to see the opportunity go away? Several times, not just in this game, I've noticed this... It's better even getting a bad shot away then to let the goalie get into position. Basic, really. A lot of PP goals have been wasted this way...

Cuz his hockey IQ is not very high.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I bet we would all cut him some slack too if he stood up for anyone other than himself. You know, like he actually says he does in the media.

Gudbranson only caring about Gudbranson isn't new. I would have been happy for Gudbranson's response tonight if it weren't for that. It's ****ing embarrassing that our tough guy here to protect the kids only seems to be interested in engaging when he got hit or someone challenges him.

I'm so sick of hearing this crap; nobody on the team knew that Elias had been concussed on the first injury (AND once it was known what happened the coach demanded that nobody retaliate) and on the second one it looked innocent enough. So you're basically castigating Guddy for not reacting to something he didn't know had happened. Anything to crap all over him I guess. I'm betting that if it was Petey getting his face crushed into the end glass and then going after the guy everybody would be singing his praises, penalties be damned. As usual Guddy can't win with your crowd. An evil genie in me wishes he gets hurt for a month or so and the rest of the league start picking off our young stars one by one. The idea that some people have here of Guddy being required to eliminate even the possibility of anybody else on the team getting hit is ridiculous and unattainable. He's not that good I'll grant you that but reading the GDT's here game after game it's obvious that there is a whole group of posters here following his every move and just waiting to jump all over him for the slightest error. If you did that last night with, say, Edler you would have had a lot more to complain about than Guddy. But Edler gets a pass, always, as does Tanev, Stetcher and everybody else not named Pouliot (who really IS as bad as everyone says he is; he is appalling). If we divest ourselves of him we will simply need to replace him and guys like him are hard to find without overpaying badly.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So now the theory is that Pouliot is dragging poor Gudbranson down as an NHL d-man? The trouble is you can't really pair Gudbranson with anyone. He was disastrous with Hutton, and wasn't all that good when he played with Edler.

It's time for Jimbo to concede the obvious. Gudbranson just doesn't skate well enough or process the game fast enough to be an everyday d-man in the Western Conference. Time to trade him, and Tim Schaller for that matter, back to Eastern Conference where their slow foot-speed can be better masked.

It ain't happening for them in VanCity.

Reactions: Grip it N RYP it

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I'm so sick of hearing this crap; nobody on the team knew that Elias had been concussed on the first injury (AND once it was known what happened the coach demanded that nobody retaliate) and on the second one it looked innocent enough. So you're basically castigating Guddy for not reacting to something he didn't know had happened. Anything to crap all over him I guess. I'm betting that if it was Petey getting his face crushed into the end glass and then going after the guy everybody would be singing his praises, penalties be damned. As usual Guddy can't win with your crowd. An evil genie in me wishes he gets hurt for a month or so and the rest of the league start picking off our young stars one by one. The idea that some people have here of Guddy being required to eliminate even the possibility of anybody else on the team getting hit is ridiculous and unattainable. He's not that good I'll grant you that but reading the GDT's here game after game it's obvious that there is a whole group of posters here following his every move and just waiting to jump all over him for the slightest error. If you did that last night with, say, Edler you would have had a lot more to complain about than Guddy. But Edler gets a pass, always, as does Tanev, Stetcher and everybody else not named Pouliot (who really IS as bad as everyone says he is; he is appalling). If we divest ourselves of him we will simply need to replace him and guys like him are hard to find without overpaying badly.

First of all they have tablets on the bench, someone should have seen it.

Regardless, stop acting like Pettersson is the only instance of this happening. What about the first Boeser incident? Then the second (after he had called out his teammates for no response)? Then the Pettersson incident? Then the time McLeod viciously crosschecked Boeser in the back where he had previously broken it? Even the incident in Tampa he let the guy skate right by him and only got engage after he was tied up by the referees and Virtanen.

This isn't a one time thing, it's a pattern. It's made worse by the fact that he called his team out in the media for no response after the Boeser thing claiming it wouldn't happen with him in the lineup. I've said the exact same thing about Roussel not sticking up for anyone but himself, but I give Badbranson more shit over it because he had the nerve to call out the team for not sticking up for Boeser before proceeding to never stick up for anyone.

I don't post here in GDTs until after the game, but I have said Tanev has had bad games. Edler can be Jekyll & Hyde. Stetcher I've said I love his compete and think he can be a bottom pairing guy on a lot of teams but uses his body more than other little guys and can have rough nights against big opponents. Hutton I love and think he gets a lot of shit because he has to play with Gudbranson, but there is no doubt he's been the goat on a lot of goals. Even last night he set a Cane up in our slot all alone on a terrible pass to Edler.

You're talking nonsense, stop it. Gudbranson can't win with this crowd because he doesn't bring offense, doesn't bring solid defensive play, and doesn't even bring the toughness that not only he's paid to bring but flat out claims he brings in the media, and even has the lack of self-awareness to call out the rest of the team for the same thing. Fake tough guy. Trash teammate. Trash player.

People have biases about all kinds of things, that doesn't mean they're wrong either and it doesn't mean everyone with the same opinion is being driven by bias either.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Rumor is there's some interest in both Gudbranson and Sutter out there....Jimbo needs to deal both....it would be addition by subtraction at this point.

After viewing the performance of both guys for the past weeks and months, it's obvious that the Canucks would actually be a better team with Biega and Gaudette in the lineup.

Time for Benning to finally admit the 'foundational players' he thought was getting aren't even able to hold up their own end of the bargain at this point in their careers. Time to cut bait on both.

Biega in for Gudbranson, call up Sauntner and give him a stretch of games to see if there's anything there.

Call Gaunce up, play him in Sutter's spot. I honestly don't think the results would be any worse, and we'd get to actually give opportunities to younger players who might have a future on the team and remove two players who have absolutely zero future on a contending Vancouver Canucks team.

We should also waive Eriksson right away as a message to the "veterans" on this team. Trade with 50% retained or just bury him in the minors and hope that he capitulates and retires. Just cannot be on this team going forward.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Derrick Pouliot has the occasional offensive “flashes of brilliance” where you think to yourself, “ok......NOW I see why he was drafted so high once upon a time,” but those defensive gaffes of his are too glaring and too frequent. I honestly don’t know if he’ll be able to make the necessary corrections.
There are far too many simply offensive flashes.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Biega in for Gudbranson, call up Sauntner and give him a stretch of games to see if there's anything there.

Call Gaunce up, play him in Sutter's spot. I honestly don't think the results would be any worse, and we'd get to actually give opportunities to younger players who might have a future on the team and remove two players who have absolutely zero future on a contending Vancouver Canucks team.

We should also waive Eriksson right away as a message to the "veterans" on this team. Trade with 50% retained or just bury him in the minors and hope that he capitulates and retires. Just cannot be on this team going forward.

Sautner literally has not played in two months.....

Reactions: timw33

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad