GDT: GAME #51: Canucks 2 vs. Hurricanes 5: Hurricane Neddy too much to contain

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
The fact they came back from a 13 game losing streak is remarkable in itself..(injuries to Edler,Tanev,EP,Beagle,Sutter,Nilsson,Baertschi)...The toughest part of the schedule is over and they're finally healthy..The second half should be fun.

You’re really going to include the injury to Nilsson lol

the fact that they added a point per game rookie who is already the best player on the team and are no better than in past years is remarkable. Especially considering that we were one of the worst teams in the league over the past 3 seasons

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Rumor is there's some interest in both Gudbranson and Sutter out there....Jimbo needs to deal both....it would be addition by subtraction at this point.

After viewing the performance of both guys for the past weeks and months, it's obvious that the Canucks would actually be a better team with Biega and Gaudette in the lineup.

Time for Benning to finally admit the 'foundational players' he thought was getting aren't even able to hold up their own end of the bargain at this point in their careers. Time to cut bait on both.
Would be nice to deal both of them..Sutter has done s##t since returning. Maybe Guddy gets moved..doubt it...Goldobin more then likely. Pouliot needs to be released from this team asap...lots of changes still to be made before we can even think of the playoffs.

Reactions: RainbowDeathBunny

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

the fact that they added a point per game rookie who is already the best player on the team and are no better than in past years is remarkable. Especially considering that we were one of the worst teams in the league over the past 3 seasons
The worst, actually.

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Canucks got schooled tonight. Carolina played excellent and you have to give them credit for the one-sided victory. Canucks have been getting staler and staler on the home stand and deserved to lose some of the other games. Break couldn't come at a better time - this team has looked more tired and disorganized lately than they have looked in much heavier parts of the schedule.

Good

Stecher - ultimately sort of fell back into the overall lethargy of the team's play but early was getting people off the puck and turning around the play. Actually created some offense. Also Hutton had some good moments. Rest of the defense was poor.

Bad

Virtanen - did absolutely nothing. Whole line did nothing. Sutter dragged his butt thru another game and Granlund stayed to the outside on everything. Team might have been better before Sutter returned. Guy is is having a very lousy season. With Virtanen - you wonder if trading him might be the best thing. I thought he was showing signs early this season but he seems to be back where he was much of the last couple of years. Depends what you can get but believe decision on this player may have to be made.

Motte - game is all about energy and looks like the tank is empty. Slipping back to being the very marginal player he was suspected to be going into the season. Has shown upside so have to careful in getting too critical but tonight he was knocked easily out of the play (and often on his ass) and was a liability in his end.

Eriksson - total no-show. Skating issues completely exposed by a quick Carolina team. Canucks will never be a highly competitive team as long as they are carrying trash like him.

Ugly

Pouliot - we are use to stinkers out of Poo but this plumbed new depths of incompetence. He can not compete against the speed. Slug-like movement put him in panic mode through out the game. Just pathetic how he groped around his end trying to keep track of the puck. And forget him about him trying to keep track of his check. And, of course, forced into horrific give-aways. Watching the confused and and shell-shocked Poo on the bench, you were almost thinking benching him or sending him to a much lower level of hockey would be a mercy. Beiga is so clearly the better player you have to ask what Green is thinking. His love affair with his Junior star Poo must end. He is what he is, and any any hope that he will suddenly get some wheels is tragically forlorn.

Others

Horvat - not doing enough. Team simply has to have more out of him to go anywhere

Pettersson - beauty pass on the second goal but did as much bad as good in this game

Edler - played to death and was loggy much of the game.

Tanev - better than most of the Canucks but still one of his worst performances this year.

Gudbranson - don't blame him for trying to chase down Svechnnikov who made a silly and nasty hit in a game that was simply being played out by both teams. You do junk like that at this level and you are legitimately going to be asked to answer for it. Also Gudbranson didn't go all postal and go overly berserk. Backed off fairly quickly and got off the ice. Ultimately a nothing burger. On the play Gudbranson was decent on the PK but could do nothing to bail out the dreadful Poo. Might have hoped for more, but most of that was clearly on the rancid Pouliot.

See how they do after the break but at this point if Markstrom isn't totally lights out then the team is in big trouble and is likely not in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Yes..I'm going to add Nillson..maybe I should have added Demko as well...It was too heavy a workload for Marky,and obviously our 4th string goalie (Bachman) wasn't up to the task.

You guys in the tank thread are desperate for team to be a dumpster fire....but here we are, in the thick of a playoff spot..and healthy (unlike the last few seasons)...and most important of all, led by the young guys.

Reactions: Nomobo

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
This. Imagine if Guddy went to the ref and complained so vociferously that he got a penalty (like Sedin). I'm sure all his detractors here would cut him some slack...

I bet we would all cut him some slack too if he stood up for anyone other than himself. You know, like he actually says he does in the media.

Gudbranson only caring about Gudbranson isn't new. I would have been happy for Gudbranson's response tonight if it weren't for that. It's f***ing embarrassing that our tough guy here to protect the kids only seems to be interested in engaging when he got hit or someone challenges him.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
He scored as many goals in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals playing with cracked ribs and torn rib cartilage than both Sedins did over their entire 7 game Stanley Cup Finals series.

Oh lmao I didn't realize you were memeing, I was taking this conversation at face value

:laugh:

sarcasm doesn't work well in text format tbh so this one isn't totally on me! haha!

Reactions: Elias GOATtersson

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
f*** it. I won’t get optimistic again until I see the end result near the season end.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
There’s no team toughness here, they just stick up for themselves. Back in the day guys like Kesler, Bieksa, Burrows, Torres, Dorsett ect all looked out for each other, we’re missing that in a huge way with this new core.
Who exactly is the new core?

They always interview Sutter. Is Sutter part of the new core?

If you ask management the answer is probably yes.

If you ask Bo, he'd probably no comment.

There's no team toughness because there really isn't a team right now. It's just a collection of has beens, never was and young guys.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Team isn't good but they've still clearly been better than the last 3 seasons.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Team isn't good but they've still clearly been better than the last 3 seasons.

It’s clear to me that they are better at converting their chances this year. However, I’m not sure if they are generating chances at a significantly better rate. Their possession numbers are... not good.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

The worst.

upload_2019-1-24_11-23-48.png

Unless you want to include Vegas who only played 1 season during those 3 years.

Reactions: timw33 and DarrenX

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It’s clear to me that they are better at converting their chances this year. However, I’m not sure if they are generating chances at a significantly better rate. Their possession numbers are... not good.

I think that's largely due to the Sedins inflating those numbers in previous years with low percentage chances. Their possession numbers are about the same though this year, minus the Sedins. They've been a bit lucky in terms of converting chances, but are significantly higher in terms of their GF relative to the league to the point I don't think it's entirely luck. The big difference is that EP and Markstrom have given the team the ability to win when not outplaying the opponent which was rare in the past 3 years. Pip suggested they're just as bad despite the addition of EP, but I would argue they're just as bad outside of him, and his game breaking ability is why this team is better, and I would expect the team to perform similarly (around .500) over the rest of the year rather than tank over the final 1/3 like years past. Not that that really means much in the long run

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Pretty much this. People are just frustrated as hell with him and his awful play, especially recently. It's really tenuous logic to link him getting pissed after a cheap hit in a blow out game to not taking down players in close games for cheap hits on others. How we see the game as fans is not how it is seen by players on the ice. I hope they can trade him either at the deadline or offseason, he just doesn't work in Green's system, perhaps he'll have more utility in another that doesn't rely on moving the puck so quickly.
I have a problem with it because he basically chased the guy up the ice and ended up doing nothing except getting penalised.

A smart player would have taken his opportunity in a better "way".

But Gudbranson is not a smart player and that is the crux of the issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad