GDT: Game 51: Avs @ Sharks | Tuesday, January 26th, 8pm MT (NBCSN) | No Worries

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yeah, Chicago lost a bad one, but they don't do it with clockwork regularity. 12/5 Minnie, 12/21 Toronto, 1/2 Calgary, 1/12 Tampa, 1/26 San Jose. Just for the last 2 months. I challenge you to find a similar pattern for the Hawks.

They've been shutout 2 of their last 3. Most teams have bad stretches, I'm not sure that's this team's problem per se. It's such a fine line, it's just a matter of winning 3, 4, 5 extra games a year that makes the difference. For this team the games where just one late PP goal could have made the difference is where I think this team rests between playoffs or not. Good teams capitalize and make other teams pay for their mistakes and we aren't there yet.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
This game was pretty much hopeless from the time everyone got sick this morning. It sucks they have to play tomorrow. Hopefully they can salvage something out of it, but realistically I'm just hoping no one gets injured.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's funny these guys talking about Thornton as a great leader and all that blah blah. When there has been trade rumors about him, and that fan base has been done with him and Marleau as leaders on that team for years now because of their performance in the playoffs and lack of production during those times.

But hey, great time to man crush on people after a win I guess. Especially on a team who is in a weaker division than us and fighting for a playoff position with literally almost the same exact amount of ****ing points as we have. But hey Thornton is a first ballot hall of fame guy lmao.

Thornton's not the reason SJ's goalies have always been crap, their defense has lacked depth, and their secondary scoring has dried up. Marleau is a much more legitimate target than the guy who's still produced for the SJ in the playoffs.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Another good sign is this teams attitude to end this game. Sure it's mostly frustration boiling over, especially at the refs, but that just means they do not like losing games. They've been on a great run the last couple months winning lots of games, and it was all but expected they'd drop this one, but not in their minds. They lose one game, and they get pissed off.

They're gonna need that attitude down the stretch if they're gonna make it into the playoffs.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Another good sign is this teams attitude to end this game. Sure it's mostly frustration boiling over, especially at the refs, but that just means they do not like losing games. They've been on a great run the last couple months winning lots of games, and it was all but expected they'd drop this one, but not in their minds. They lose one game, and they get pissed off.

They're gonna need that attitude down the stretch if they're gonna make it into the playoffs.

Yah they went down swinging at least. Wouldve been nice if Martinsen and Wagner got in a few shots at some guys but both were pretty brutal all night.

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
The loss was to be expected with many sick and the backbone of your team back at home. The All Star break will be good for the team as it will allow the flu to run its course and allow the guys to rest up. in addition any nagging injuries will get better if they are minor.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
The worst part is that they have to come back tomorrow and play again.

My stupid guess is that tomorrow night might be the last Rantanen-less game for a while.

Goal scoring has been a serious issue for a while now.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The worst part is that they have to come back tomorrow and play again.

My stupid guess is that tomorrow night might be the last Rantanen-less game for a while.

I think that's more of a safe guess than a stupid one. Seems like the writing is on the wall for that to happen after the All Star break.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Game was not as bad as the score looks, considering the situation. Sick 3rd string goalie starting with 6th stringer as backup. Sick #1D. Plus #3C is out sick. And who knows how many other guys are feeling it.

Refs were crap. Usually stuff evens out, and we have had games that were called in our favor. This most assuredly was not one of them. EJ gets 2 minutes for punching a guys fist with his face. Beauch get called for a weak trip (weak due to being on PK...that is rarely enough to put a team down 2). Marty smash was maybe a bit weak, but rather they call those than not. Kicking the puck directly over the glass is supposed to be automatic, but somehow not a one of the four were looking at the play as it happened. Ward goal maybe could have been called back...but that is the homer in me. Barrie catches two sticks to the face...nothing. Mitchell boarding call was very weak given the last second turn.

But hey, not too often an EN goal is followed be a PP goal by each team.

Never mind me, sour grapes after a loss I guess.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Just choked through the highlights... Was at least 90% Sharks possession, so I guess that's a good indicator of how the game went down. Bummed for Picks... :/

I'm going to the game tomorrow so hopefully they can, at the very least, score more than one (garbage time) goal.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
At least if they were going to go down in flames they did it in hilarious fashion. They could have just mailed in the third but somehow kept the Sharks to 3 shots in that period. I'm not saying they were good but Roy at least forced them to keep the puck that period. The pulled goalie, poor Picks looking like he was going to heave after every save, all the penalties including 3 puck over the glass penalties, EJ continuing to sneak on the ice, Roman Will playing because why not, a MacKinnon goal for funsies. If you are going to be bad at least get your money's worth.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Just choked through the highlights... Was at least 90% Sharks possession, so I guess that's a good indicator of how the game went down. Bummed for Picks... :/

I'm going to the game tomorrow so hopefully they can, at the very least, score more than one (garbage time) goal.

There was so much to this game that can't be explained by the highlights. See my above post.

I wish I could be as optimistic as y'all about Rantanen coming up soon. Timing after the ASG makes sense but with no injury it's still a bit tricky. Plus everyone would be so excited and then he just ends up taking martinsen's place.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
So...can Roy please be over his Martinsen man crush. He was freaking awful tonight. Two heinously awful penalties, one of which led to a back breaking goal and at least 3 poor giveaways ( I know the stat sheet says otherwise but I counted at least 3 times, possibly more, he either made a bad pass or just lost the puck) You're telling me that Grigorenko can't do better...that is just BS.

On the topic of Grigorenko, man is his leash short. Scores a huge goal for us against Dallas gets benched the next game. This is just garbage. He is a 21 year old kid, who has played well when given opportunities. We need goals in the worst way, maybe it's time give him a little more ice time with decent players and see if he responds to it.

Knew this one had the potential to be bad, but damn I wish I saw a little better compete level.

Duchene was heinous bad, looked like he had a little too much vodka last night. Couldn't hold on to the puck or make a pass worth **** tonight. Had to single him out because I expect so much better from him.

As for the rest of the team, it obvious we are struggling for secondary scoring. Teams are adjusting to us. They know if they shut down the Duchene/MacK line we are going to struggle to score, and it's shown over the past 5-7 games.

Tanguay just can't continue to play on the first line if we want to succeed. The game has flown by him quickly. He and Iginla should be our 4th line wingers who get 2nd unit PP time.

Please call up Rantanen ASAP, we need another scoring winger so bad. I'd roll this after the break:

Duchene-MacK-Rantanen (just let the kid come in and play 18-20 mins with these guys and see what happens)
Landeskog-Soderberg-Grigorenko (we need offense, Grigs can provide some, give him a quality chance, ie: more than 5 games)
Tanguay-Comeau-Iginla (I know Comeau isn't a center but he takes tons of draws already so why the hell not)
McCleod-Mitchell-Skille
Wagner
Martinsen (send him back to the AHL)

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Yeah that's true, B2B or not I expect them to come out hard against LA.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Sorry do you like Randy Hahn or something? Have you ever listened to a non NBC broadcast of his? He might be the biggest homer pbp guy in the league.

And going down to block a pass is not universally believed to be a bad play. Every single one of the best D men in history had that in their repertoire. Ray Bourque did it all the time, and so does EJ. You just have to time it right.

I have to like someone to defend what they are being called an idiot over? Now I get most broadcasters aren't as smart as we are, and there is a clear bias against the Avs, but I don't think that fits regarding that play.

Just because Hasek had the roll over on his back to make a save in his repertoire, or MacK can dangle around 3 defenders every once in a while doesn't mean it is the best play.

But whatever, we all choose our battles I guess

DUHockey

Dec 15, 2015
Is this true? Or are you just saying that? I never heard them say anything about it.

There were at least 8 of them with the virus yesterday, Picard was really bad. I'm not holding out to much hope on tonights game. The guys who didn't have it last night have pretty good odds of getting it tonight.

As a side note, Martinsen did not have a great game last night and I do think it's time for him to sit a few. But the focus on the 4th line guys who get limited minutes every night is comical. Marty had 3 shots last night, Landy in 18 minutes, 4 minutes of which was power play had NONE. Duchene 17 minutes, 4 minutes of PP had 1 shot. The 3rd and 4th lines in the 3rd period generated more offensive zone time than the first 2 lines did all night.

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Read through some tweets this morning and LOL'd at TMV saying EJ is over trying to get all the Sharks bench sick :laugh:

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
Glad I didn't stay up to watch this one, I think it's safe to say it's a game the team (and fans) would like to forget. Can only get better tonight, right?! :scared:

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
For not the first time and probably not the last time this season - this is another pack it up, forget about and move on to the next one kind of game.

LA will be tough but a HUGE 2 points if they can pull it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad