GDT: Game #51 - 02.05.15 - vs Tampa Bay - 7:30 PM - FS Southwest+ - 1310 AM - 96.7 FM

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
u better do to or this team is getting no where with another mediocre pick.

That's exactly what's going to happen.

They'll go on a run right before the deadline to make everyone think they're still in it, including coaching staff, and make them go for the post season and then wind up short once again.

Same story as bankruptcy but with "better" players.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
u better do to or this team is getting no where with another mediocre pick.

I don't really think a pick outside the top 5 is going to change our immediate future anyways.

Even a McDavid or Eichel doesn't help our porous defense or crappy goaltending.

Hanifin might, but the top 5 is out of our reach anyway.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
They have talked about it in interviews, its definitely coaching.

That's just completely nonsensical. So many things about this coaching staff frustrate me. The defense coaching sucks, the PP coaching sucks, the goalie coaching sucks, the roster decisions suck. Even our offense is struggling right now. There's no part of this team that I can look at and think that there doesn't need to be an improvement. Individual players can do better but the overall team performance is the responsibility of the coaches. I know Nill and Ruff have a Plan but some changes need to be made. Starting with firing Fraser I hope.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
That's an overreaction. The difference between the #5 and #13 picks is pretty negligible to the fate of a franchise.

I don't know the stats, I know they're out there but the hit rate on the #5 pick is significantly higher than the #13.

If Dallas sells, plays the rookie d-men, wingers, and the whole team is deflated because they know they're out it's possible to slide back into the top 8/10. Give me the better pick and give more picks and the franchise as a whole has a better chance to improve going forward, even if it takes a few years to manifest.

I'd say the difference between Strome and Zacha is pretty big.

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
If this team is going to sell, you sell the veteran depth pieces. The one exception to that rule is Trevor Daley, who's value will never be higher thanks to his lucky shooting year.

I wouldn't be upset if after the trade deadline we were running a roster with the likes of Brett Ritchie, Travis Morin, and Curtis McKenzie as every day forwards and of course Jokipakka and Oleksiak starting blueliners. Maybe if we get some young NHL ready guys back for a Trevor Daley or a Erik Cole we could work them in too.

Basically the math says playoffs are not going to happen this year, the ice time becomes crucial for the guys with less NHL experience who might be expected to be parts of a playoff team next season.

jason9090spezza

Oct 19, 2014
Japan
That's exactly what's going to happen.

They'll go on a run right before the deadline to make everyone think they're still in it, including coaching staff, and make them go for the post season and then wind up short once again.

Same story as bankruptcy but with "better" players.

Well... I still have faith in this team, because the other team that I follow (Ottawa) is going absolutely nowhere.

I don't really think a pick outside the top 5 is going to change our immediate future anyways.

Even a McDavid or Eichel doesn't help our porous defense or crappy goaltending.

Hanifin might, but the top 5 is out of our reach anyway.

That's an overreaction. The difference between the #5 and #13 picks is pretty negligible to the fate of a franchise.

Maybe there won't be any McDavid or Eichel or NHL ready players out of the top 5 but there is a huge difference between #5 and #13.

If the team makes the playoffs, they at least get a chance for the cup (unlikely...yes). But ending around 13th and getting a mediocre pick is just sad.

jason9090spezza

Oct 19, 2014
Japan
I don't know the stats, I know they're out there but the hit rate on the #5 pick is significantly higher than the #13.

If Dallas sells, plays the rookie d-men, wingers, and the whole team is deflated because they know they're out it's possible to slide back into the top 8/10. Give me the better pick and give more picks and the franchise as a whole has a better chance to improve going forward, even if it takes a few years to manifest.

I'd say the difference between Strome and Zacha is pretty big.

Agree. They might not make an impact, but #5 and #13 is big, considering this years draft being deep, even outside of guys like McDavid and Eichel.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Well... I still have faith in this team, because the other team that I follow (Ottawa) is going absolutely nowhere.

Maybe there won't be any McDavid or Eichel or NHL ready players out of the top 5 but there is a huge difference between #5 and #13.

If the team makes the playoffs, they at least get a chance for the cup (unlikely...yes). But ending around 13th and getting a mediocre pick is just sad.
If the choices are (1) fight for a playoff spot and finish with a #13 pick or (2) tank to get a #5 pick for the chance to get a kid slightly better who might contribute three seasons from now, give me option one every time. Spinning your wheels is watching a team always play for three years down the road.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
if nothing else every pick they slide up, also improves their odds to win the lottery. There's a pretty tight group with LA, Philly, NJ, Ottawa, and Toronto and since 4 of them will be playing against each other and probably pick up some loser points while Dallas struggles in the best division in hockey it wouldn't be a surprise for at least a few of those teams to pass us in the draft standings.

jason9090spezza

Oct 19, 2014
Japan
If the choices are (1) fight for a playoff spot and finish with a #13 pick or (2) tank to get a #5 pick for the chance to get a kid slightly better who might contribute three seasons from now, give me option one every time. Spinning your wheels is watching a team always play for three years down the road.

I would pick choice 1 any day. Tanking is not an option for a team like Dallas.

This team might be playing mediocre/bad hockey but the roster is still pretty decent (good enough to make the playoffs at least). The problem I have with tanking is that it really spreads the negative atmosphere around the organization.

And it's not like tanking/rebuilding "always" works. Just look at organization that are just plain pathetic at their job. Once an organization rides on that "tank" or "rebuild", it's hard to get out of it and that's been the case for teams like Edmonton (@tank) and Ottawa (@rebuild).

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
That's just completely nonsensical. So many things about this coaching staff frustrate me. The defense coaching sucks, the PP coaching sucks, the goalie coaching sucks, the roster decisions suck. Even our offense is struggling right now. There's no part of this team that I can look at and think that there doesn't need to be an improvement. Individual players can do better but the overall team performance is the responsibility of the coaches. I know Nill and Ruff have a Plan but some changes need to be made. Starting with firing Fraser I hope.

What exactly is wrong with what the Stars are coaching the defenseman to do in this context? Demers is our most physical defenseman and he's the same size as Seguin. If we have defenders who aren't big enough to clear the crease, why coach them to clear the crease? It's like asking big, physical defenseman to pinch more. Goligoski is not going to win a one on one battle with Milan Lucic in front of the net so why not have play to his strengths? Sounds like the staff is merely playing to the strengths of the d-core which is movement and speed.

If Dallas should fire any coach, it should Valley first. Since he's been here we haven't drafted anyone worth a damn in goal, and have signed the absolutely dregs of net society in guys like Lindback, Rynnas, Nilstorp, Raycroft, Auld, Bachmann, Ellis, et cetera.

SonicSpeedDash

All bets are off
Jun 22, 2010
Amarillo, TX
Welcome to Dallas Stars Hockey, and the past 7 seasons.

Well also the ignorance of the management to believe they will make it. Selling would be the smart idea to prepare for next season. But Nill isn't Joe, so I guess we'll see? But **** you'd think management would see how bad Jordie is by now...I mean **** come on.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Well also the ignorance of the management to believe they will make it. Selling would be the smart idea to prepare for next season. But Nill isn't Joe, so I guess we'll see? But **** you'd think management would see how bad Jordie is by now...I mean **** come on.
But what are we taking about selling? Cole and Daley are probably the most attractive options. Even if it makes sense to sell high on them, don't expect to get anything that will help next season. Chances are the return will be picks or prospects still a couple of seasons away from contributing.

Yep. A large part of that was Joe and his unwillingness to actually accept what was right in front of him.
I don't know. He never had much to sell. He was also handcuffed by needing to hit the cap floor. You can't sell all your vets and have enough payroll leftover.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Also the West is better this year than it has been in the past. It's one thing to think you could make it in the East. It's completely different to ignore reality in the West and the slew of games they have yet to play against teams in their division that they've proven they can't beat anyway.

I truly expect him to preach playoffs till about a week before the deadline when the numbers staring him in the face don't lie about the likelihood of that happening. That's when I honestly expect to see rumors starting and speculation about Cole, Horcoff, Goligoski increase.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
I don't know. He never had much to sell. He was also handcuffed by needing to hit the cap floor. You can't sell all your vets and have enough payroll leftover.

Eh. He didn't have much to sell, but he could've done more with what he had imo.

He was all handcuffed by NTCs, which was his own doing when handing them out left and right.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
But what are we taking about selling? Cole and Daley are probably the most attractive options. Even if it makes sense to sell high on them, don't expect to get anything that will help next season. Chances are the return will be picks or prospects still a couple of seasons away from contributing.

the nice thing about picks and prospects is there are several teams who are against the cap and you can use those picks/prospects to make a deal at the draft if there's someone you want.

I'm not too worried about the floor. If nothing else it means they're in a position to accept a cap dump to get the player they truly want. Besides Nill basically has to bring someone in on defense. There's no way he can sell staying pat to Gagliardi or the fans after this season. Money is going to come back one way or the other to hit the floor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad