GDT: Game #51 - 02.05.15 - vs Tampa Bay - 7:30 PM - FS Southwest+ - 1310 AM - 96.7 FM

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
Half the time attempting to clear the net ends up in a double screen. Kari has to fight to see through them, like every other goalie in the league.

Yeah I hate to break it to you guys living in the 90's but the days of breaking your stick across a guy's back or bear hugging them and dragging them to the ice Craig Ludwig style are over. They call penalties for that **** now.

Also don't know if you noticed, but literally every team in the league basically ignores players in front of the net in favor of fronting them or attempting to block shots.

SonicSpeedDash

All bets are off
Jun 22, 2010
Amarillo, TX
It completely boggles my mind that for the past five years that Kari was keeping us from the top five pick. But now when the team is starting to turn it around, he starts to slip.

WTF?!

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
We need to bench Kari, this is getting ridiculous. Tonight was 100% Kari's fault. What a trash performance. This is such a frustrating season ****.

KiedisA

Feb 27, 2010
Kari also saved a breakaway and couple of other clear chances so he has as much fault in this as does Seguin for missing four grade-A scoring chances...

We are in this together, I want those refs reported to the league, if possible... They were evening out the boxscore all 3rd period..

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
Also in the last 10 games we've outshot the opposition, we've won 2 of them. The game against Ottawa and the 7-1 win vs Minnesota.

Tampa Bay
Colorado
Montreal
Boston
Winnipeg
Colorado
Columbus
Toronto

Let's take a moment to think back on these recent games where we outshot the opposition by a combined 302 to 204 total, but were outscored 27 to 14.

Actually in the goaltender's (partial) defence 14 goals on 302 is some god awful luck in those games.. 4.6% shooting percentage will doom most teams.

Only stopping 86.7% of the shots didn't help either.

MetalGodAOD*

Everybody knew when he was traded here that he has vision problems.

I don't agree. His biggest assets in the 2-3 years he played well with us was his tracking and vision.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
The d is clearly being coached to not clear the net. Every Dman every game leaves the guy in front of the net for Kari to deal with. Problem is Kari isn't good enough for that. Well he's been plain bad this season but to some extent I think the d (not counting Jordie) is being made to look worse by poor coaching and poor goaltending.

I'm starting to believe this as well which is honestly the worst possible situation. I'd rather have incompetent defensemen than an incompetent coaching staff that's making the defense play worse than they would on their own. I can't understand why any coach would tell the team to let their goalie get screened or allow easy deflections. I do wish Kari would be a bit more aggressive when he's screened. If the defense isn't going to help then he should do what he can to get some space.

MetalGodAOD*

Are you serious man? EVERYBODY knew he had vision problems. It was one of this boards biggest concerns with the trade at the time.

I think the biggest concern was his health in general, not specifically "vision." The only google results for Kari Lehtonen vision problems is from one guy in Atlanta who talks about him having to take eyedrops a lot. Big woop, doesn't mean he has "vision issues."

Please find me these well documented links of his reoccurrent vision problems before the trade, because I don't remember them and the quick google search doesn't match your claim.

And yes i am serious. Lockout year Kari who put this team on his back routinely made highlight real saves by tracking the puck off rebounds, through screens, or going post to post and finding it amongst chaos. It was his biggest asset, that he's lost this year.

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
I think the biggest concern was his health. And yes i am serious. Lockout year Kari who put this team on his back routinely made highlight real saves by tracking the puck off rebounds, through screens, or going post to post and finding it amongst chaos.

Im not saying he wasnt playing great then at all. Im saying everybody, from TSN, to FSSW, to HF knew he had vision problems in Atlanta. Im not just pulling this out of my ass, I promise.

Go check the threads if you want.

I think we're debating different things here. Lol

:cheers:

LowSodium

Jan 4, 2015
Dallas
I think the biggest concern was his health in general, not specifically "vision." The only google results for Kari Lehtonen vision problems is from one guy in Atlanta who talks about him having to take eyedrops a lot. Big woop, doesn't mean he has "vision issues."

Please find me these well documented links of his reoccurrent vision problems before the trade, because I don't remember them and the quick google search doesn't match your claim.

Just to reiterate, eye drops are pretty common for athletes in general, keeps the eyes from drying up. Doesn't mean he has vision problems.

MetalGodAOD*

Im not saying he wasnt playing great then at all. Im saying everybody, from TSN, to FSSW, to HF knew he had vision problems in Atlanta. Im not just pulling this out of my ass, I promise.

Go check the threads if you want.

I think we're debating different things here. Lol

:cheers:

Check my edit. HFboards really doesn't come up with many results about it, but maybe I'm missing something. I definitely don't remember it being as commonplace of knowledge as you're claiming, but I could be wrong.

There's only 2 posts I could find on HFBoards referring to potentially bad vision. Both are speculative. I think you'd find much more complaints about his wonky groin than eyesight.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Check my edit. HFboards really doesn't come up with many results about it, but maybe I'm missing something. I definitely don't remember it being as commonplace of knowledge as your'e claiming, but I could be wrong.
I don't recall any talk about vision problems. The discussions I heard were about his injury problems and him being fat. It was always about how he could be really good if he would get in shape and stay healthy. This is the first I'm hearing about vision problems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad