GDT: Game 50: Kings @ Coyotes - 7PM - Photo Finish (To The Season)

Scottyb123

Feb 2, 2010
WTF is with Vermette and throwing away the puck (with awful pass attempts) to the opposing teams this year? It's so infuriating! Why does he get PP time? His faceoff % does not make up for his brutal play away from the circle.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
But we are above the floor. Cap floor is 52.8. Team cap is 54.2. That's not including Chris Pronger.

That's still good for 29th out of 30th in the league in budget spending. Relatively speaking, we're still a floor team and the loss of the Glendale subsidy is certainly not going to make us trend higher.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
That's still good for 29th out of 30th in the league in budget spending. Relatively speaking, we're still a floor team and the loss of the Glendale subsidy is certainly not going to make us trend higher.

We are rebuilding, so no need to spend now.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Next year we could have half a dozen rookie/2nd/3rd yr guys all playing for a relative bargain. Dump the veterans that aren't producing and spend some money to up the overall team quality. We don't need to hit the cap...another $5mil in payroll should do.

I'm not kidding...this team could win the Pacific next year.

I agree. A FA signing or two along with a trade or two could put us over the top with the influx of young talent that should hit the roster next year. I think we're close to turning the corner.

Dream on guys. Next year will be very similar to this year. We are getting closer to a top five pick.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
For this to happen we have to hope that a) we'll actually have the cash to go above the cap floor (they said they'd do it this year but that obviously didn't happen), b) that the continuing instability of the market doesn't scare off the worthwhile free agents we'd target, and c) that Don Maloney doesn't go back to the bargain bin or keep doing his "getting the band back together" thing.

It all depends on if we get that promised announcement before free agency opens...

What promised announcement? Am I having a senior moment?

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Dream on guys. Next year will be very similar to this year. We are getting closer to a top five pick.

Look at the impact Domi, Duclair and Martinook have made. Strome and Dvorak are arguably better talents than those three. Throw in a key trade and FA signing or two and this is a contender, not to mention a team much more fun to watch.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Look at the impact Domi, Duclair and Martinook have made. Strome and Dvorak are arguably better talents than those three. Throw in a key trade and FA signing or two and this is a contender, not to mention a team much more fun to watch.

Contender? Calm down. Good lord.

Strome and Dvorak will have growing pains. Domi and Duclair might have sophomore slumps. Nobody knows how the D or goalie situation will shake out. The team could find itself down Boedker and Doan next year while being forced to take on junk contracts just to hit the floor for all we know.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Team will be fun to watch, but I expect another tough year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Contender? Calm down. Good lord.

Strome and Dvorak will have growing pains. Domi and Duclair might have sophomore slumps. Nobody knows how the D or goalie situation will shake out. The team could find itself down Boedker and Doan next year while being forced to take on junk contracts just to hit the floor for all we know.

Your right, lots can and will happen between now and next year.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
I think that next year, on paper, we should be fighting for the playoffs by adding Strone and Dvo. But this is keeping in mind the division we play in. If we get some D help, then absolutely playoffs. Am I calling us Cup contenders, no. But there's no reason that this team +Strome+Dvo, shouldn't by vying for a spot in the playoffs. And if we get D help there's no reason we shouldn't be in the playoffs

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Ah, that. Don't count on that. The Coyotes will probably agree to a 1-2 year extension and somewhere in that time period plans will finalize.

Well, that ties back into my point - if indeed we don't have some sort of long-range plan, we're going to struggle to attract free agents of anything above a middling caliber. We'll probably have to settle for 1-2-year-contract journeymen like usual. :cry:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I think that next year, on paper, we should be fighting for the playoffs by adding Strone and Dvo. But this is keeping in mind the division we play in. If we get some D help, then absolutely playoffs. Am I calling us Cup contenders, no. But there's no reason that this team +Strome+Dvo, shouldn't by vying for a spot in the playoffs. And if we get D help there's no reason we shouldn't be in the playoffs

We'd be leading the division or at least a strong #2 if we had good goal tending. it won't be the rookies that propel us next year, it will be the goal tending. We score just fine right now. Our defense is pitiful and a lot of that is on the goal tender. While I've seen defensive breakdowns, apart from the BS on the PP the defense hasn't been that bad. It just looks bad because too many stoppable shots get through.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Well, that ties back into my point - if indeed we don't have some sort of long-range plan, we're going to struggle to attract free agents of anything above a middling caliber. We'll probably have to settle for 1-2-year-contract journeymen like usual. :cry:

I wonder if the John Scott fiasco has any i,pact on players signing here

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Did anyone see the graphic they put up last night about our schedule the second half? We have the hardest strength of schedule, and play 33 games in 68 days.

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
WTF is with Vermette and throwing away the puck (with awful pass attempts) to the opposing teams this year? It's so infuriating! Why does he get PP time? His faceoff % does not make up for his brutal play away from the circle.

He has been our biggest disappointment offensively this season in my opinion, can't wait until Strome takes his place next season in our top 6. Hopefully he can refocus on his fundamental puck handling skills and settle into a Gordon replacement role. Contract is still decent for a 3/4 liner who can win FOs and play on the 1st PK unit.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
He has been our biggest disappointment offensively this season in my opinion, can't wait until Strome takes his place next season in our top 6. Hopefully he can refocus on his fundamental puck handling skills and settle into a Gordon replacement role. Contract is still decent for a 3/4 liner who can win FOs and play on the 1st PK unit.

Except for that he's not very good on the PK anymore either. The contract is ok because we only have him for 1 more season.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
We could also switch Vermette to the LW since his Centering skills (besides faceoffs) has weakened. Less responsibilities and Line 3 or 4 would be okay for a NMCer. He can also move up if there are injuries (until the injured returns)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad