GDT: Game #50 | Chicago Blackhawks @ Detroit Red Wings | 8:00 PM EST | NBCSN, TSN2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Really need a win...keep falling further and further back...wtf got in to Toronto? That team is terrible, it doesn't make any sense. Were tied for 5th in the wild card race...frustrating to watch everyone pass us....even Florida is creeping up on us :help:

Gus will probably be rusty and the Hawks are going to be throwing a lot of rubber at him. Mrazek should be starting this game...oh well...

5-2 Hawks

Really pisses me off to see Toronto where they are. They honestly are not even a good team. They get outshot every game, yet somehow find ways to win. I guess they do have finishing abilities, something the Wings lack in a big way. With all the Leafs shootout wins, and the way they win games while being outshot, I really don't think they are a good team at all. It seemed it was finally catching up with them, and they went on a bit of a skid, but now they are right back at it. What's worse is that my roommate is probably the most obnoxious Leafs fan on the planet. He's already planning the parade route.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
No surprise. I doubt Datsyuk is dogging it, but I have my suspicions about Alfredsson and Franzen. This is Alfie's last Olympics, he wouldnt miss it for the world and as a 1-year hired mercenary, I cant blame him.

But Franzen...? Oh well, cant prove it, no evidence, only a hunch.

I really don't get why people are so in favor of bringing Alfie back next year. You can sign a player 8-10 years younger at the same salary or less that will stay healthy and contribute at a similar pace given the same opportunity and chance Alfie has this year.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Love seeing Bert in that top 6 role...well deserved....

He is by far the worst top 6 forward in the entire NHL. I say this 100% seriously, no sarcasm whatsoever. I am probably a better hockey player than Todd Bertuzzi. Again, 100% serious, that wasn't sarcasm either.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
No surprise. I doubt Datsyuk is dogging it, but I have my suspicions about Alfredsson and Franzen. This is Alfie's last Olympics, he wouldnt miss it for the world and as a 1-year hired mercenary, I cant blame him.

But Franzen...? Oh well, cant prove it, no evidence, only a hunch.

If the Olympics weren't this year, I bet Datsyuk would be playing for the Wings by now. That's just my opinion. Not saying he's milking his injury, but seeing the position we are in, with all other injuries, I bet he would be playing if there were no Olympics.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I really don't get why people are so in favor of bringing Alfie back next year. You can sign a player 8-10 years younger at the same salary or less that will stay healthy and contribute at a similar pace given the same opportunity and chance Alfie has this year.

I agree, I wouldn't bring him back. He tried this out, and I respect him for coming here. I've lived in Ottawa my whole life, so I've always been somewhat of an Alfie fan, but I wouldn't bring him back. The only way I do it is if he takes a huge pay cut, like 3.5 million, then I'd consider it. If he wants back, and asks for 5+ again, no way.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

I think you're underrating Alfredsson or overrating whatever phantom NHLer you're talking about signing here for $3.5M or less on a short-term deal.

I mean, everyone on this board loves to bring up what Filppula is doing over in Tampa at the cost of $5M, but half this board is ignoring the fact that Alfredsson is producing at a better rate than Filppula is and is basically scoring at the same rate Selanne was at 41, which was all anyone was talking about at the time.

Alfie has been a stud, plain and simple.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
But to be fair, that's easily one of the worst second lines in the entire NHL too.

Sure, but in my mind, a 2nd line of Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar would be far more effective than the line with Bertuzzi on it. Bertuzzi can't skate anymore, its painful to watch him try to keep up. He's slower without the puck than 98% of NHLers are with the puck. He is absolutely useless, yet continues to get 15+ minutes a game. Samuelsson is better than him. Cleary is better. Boyd Deveraux is better, can we bring him back? The only thing Bertuzzi does is throw an occasional hit. Other than that he's useless. He leads Red Wings forwards in PIMs because he can't skate so he hooks/holds his way to keep up. He has 20 giveaways, with only 11 takeaways, which results in a -9 takeaway/giveaway ratio, which is....LAST amongst Wings forwards. His +/- is -13 which is LAST amongst any Red Wing. I just don't understand what Babcock sees in him to continually give him 15+ minutes, and powerplay time every game. He is done. He was good a decade ago, move on from him.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I think you're underrating Alfredsson or overrating whatever phantom NHLer you're talking about signing here for $3.5M or less on a short-term deal.

I mean, everyone on this board loves to bring up what Filppula is doing over in Tampa at the cost of $5M, but half this board is ignoring the fact that Alfredsson is producing at a better rate than Filppula is and is basically scoring at the same rate Selanne was at 41, which was all anyone was talking about at the time.

Alfie has been a stud, plain and simple.

I agree he's been very good when healthy. I just don't see any point in bringing him back next year. Are we winning the Cup this year? No. Next year with Alfie? Not likely.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 1m
#RedWings Pavel Datsyuk (Lower body) said feels better, could be back within week, said 100% sure ready for #Sochi2014

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 1m
Datsyuk feels better, saying he can skate now. Says he is day to day, not sure when he"ll return but confident it will be before Olympics.

of course he will be ready for the olympics

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I agree he's been very good when healthy. I just don't see any point in bringing him back next year. Are we winning the Cup this year? No. Next year with Alfie? Not likely.

You do realize for what he brings he is probabley the best we can get right? I'm not saying he is a hockey god or still in his prime but if you want a short term top 6 winger for a decent price they are all gonna be 35+ age wise and cost between 3-5 million. Anyone younger is gonna be a minimum 5 year deal from fa and cost 5-6 million (not counting what the cap will increase too either the next three years).

For a 35+ player he produces as a first line winger (around .8ppg), is a dependable 2 way forward, and isn't gonna kill us salary wise for 1 more year.

He isn't bad for his cap hit. He can still play. If he wants to stay I'm fine with extending another 1 year offer to him to bridge the gap on mantha, jurco, and pulkinen as top 6 forwards.

Mantha and jurco due to size are probably on 3 year plans for the wings. Jurco should be able to make a real strong case next year and if mantha does light the ahll on fire it wouldn't hurt to call him up and give him a couple nhl games as a reward if he does well in the ahl.

However that being said Jurco and Mantha are not ready for top 6 time now. Jurco could do well on a 3rd line with people healthy and the right line constructed. Mantha I won't even ponder until there is a adequate sample size of ahl time of his to digest. because as it stands he is 6'4" 205lbs playing against 16-19 year old boys and hasn't yet played against men that he won't completely dwarf like he has in junior.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

Because he makes the team better.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

The way I see it, there aren't many top 6 guys who are willing to sign short-term deals. Alfie will. He's also still got a fine skating stride, is a righty, and has a hell of a shot. Who are we going to get to replace him? You think Jurco is going to step into the NHL and put up 60 points (if he's even on the roster)? Fat chance. We'd roll into next season with a top 6 of Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen, Tatar, Nyquist and...who? Weiss? Helm?

He's a fine stop-gap until Jurco/Mantha are (arguably) on the team full-time and we know what we're getting with him. It'd be another thing if the market was full of attractive free agent forwards, but there is very little in the way of cheap-ish forwards who are going to produce similarly to Alfie, if any at all. And unless they're coming off atrocious seasons a la Raymond/Grabo were last year, they're going to want longer-term deals.

Amrcn Ftbll

Quincey 4 prez 2k16
Jan 22, 2014
ypsi
I'm really uncomfortable with that top 6. Abby and bert have no place there, but I suppose with all the injuries there's not really a long list of better options.
Not sure how I feel about gus starting either, it's good to have a goalie with more nhl experience in against the hawks but in a game we're almost guaranteed to lose anyway it would be a good opportunity for mrazek to show just how good he really is on an nhl level.

crashman

Somehow we lost to St. Louis Blues with 4-1 but they lost to New Jersey Devils 7-1.

Hitchcock knows how to exploit the Wings system (or lack of), much like Todd McLellan. I think the Blues still view the Wings as their biggest rival, they weren't going to put in a half-assed effort against an injury depleted Red Wings. It looks like they half-assed it against the lowly Devils and got caught napping.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 1m
#RedWings Pavel Datsyuk (Lower body) said feels better, could be back within week, said 100% sure ready for #Sochi2014

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 1m
Datsyuk feels better, saying he can skate now. Says he is day to day, not sure when he"ll return but confident it will be before Olympics.

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 40s
Defense pairs are Kronwall-Ericsson, Quincey-DeKeyser, Lashoff-Smith.

What does Smith have to do to force Quincey out the top-4?

As for Datsyuk/Franzen, Pav is clearly not pushing himself back to make certain he's available for the Olympics, but Franzen.....he needs to be symptom free for at least a week before he is cleared to play, and time is running out....

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I'll agree if you find that 8-10 years younger guy who will contribute in the same way.

Who is available.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
So MDZ just got traded for Kevin freaking Klien. I feel like we could have gotten our PMD for Lashoff and Ferraro. And maybe that'd be an overpayment according to that deal that just went through. Come on Kenny.....

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Really pisses me off to see Toronto where they are. They honestly are not even a good team. They get outshot every game, yet somehow find ways to win. I guess they do have finishing abilities, something the Wings lack in a big way. With all the Leafs shootout wins, and the way they win games while being outshot, I really don't think they are a good team at all. It seemed it was finally catching up with them, and they went on a bit of a skid, but now they are right back at it. What's worse is that my roommate is probably the most obnoxious Leafs fan on the planet. He's already planning the parade route.

their goalies are playing better than our goalie. :shakehead

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
So MDZ just got traded for Kevin freaking Klien. I feel like we could have gotten our PMD for Lashoff and Ferraro. And maybe that'd be an overpayment according to that deal that just went through. Come on Kenny.....

Not even close. Lashoff has no value and Ferraro has limited value as of right now.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I believe the Rangers wanted a right-handed d-man. And we don't have an abundance of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce