Post-Game Talk: GAME 50 - B's lay a brontosaurus egg - Flames 4 BRUINS 1

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

Deserve a bag skate, get a day off. Sure why not.

Looked like they were completely off on Tuesday as well.

iu

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I think gryz is just the lightning rod for a wider roster problem that's been discussed time after time. Need some grit. Gryz hasn't been playing well and seems like an easy target to replace with someone meaner, but that person needs to be able to play with McAvoy too right? I'm no expert but I don't really see an achievable solution on the trade market for both physicality and the skillset to be a McAvoy partner. So it's frustrating.

I think everyone knows that added physicality is needed, some just have different top priorities. One side is arguing for physical adds and they're right. The other side is arguing that there are other problems to consider and that the team has performed well and they're right too. Ideally they would be able to add both but with the Cap and limited assets they may not even be able to add much of either until the offseason.

Well said. I think Hanifin is an upgrade on Grizz and hope it happens, but it doesn't get at this underlying issue. Aside from Mac and Wotherspoon to an extent, the D Corps is not physical. Easy to blame Grizz who will never be that guy, but when you have really big guys like Lindholm, Carlo, and Forbort who don't play physical, you have a problem in that area that can't be fixed by moving Grizz out and adding in a Middleton type.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Well said. I think Hanifin is an upgrade on Grizz and hope it happens, but it doesn't get at this underlying issue. Aside from Mac and Wotherspoon to an extent, the D Corps is not physical. Easy to blame Grizz who will never be that guy, but when you have really big guys like Lindholm, Carlo, and Forbort who don't play physical, you have a problem in that area that can't be fixed by moving Grizz out and adding in a Middleton type.

In fairness, I don’t think anyone expects or should expect physicality from Grizz.

Problem is for most of the last year he hasn’t offered much to offset his lack of physicality.

He scores like a 5/6 and doesn’t do much else.

In the end he’s a small defenseman who doesn’t score like small defensemen are expected to score but also doesn’t defend very well or offer any physicality.

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
He's a good partner with McAvoy, sure.

What does he do well as a defenseman? That's what's constantly getting lost here.
Not much. People seem to ignore he's not very good without McAvoy. Mac is far better with Lindholm, and the smart move was to get a 2ld to pair with Carlo. Every deadline they look to get someone to push Gryz down the ranks and even healthy scratched him the first two games of the Florida series. Problem is, they have three third pair left handed defensemen. Forbort cannot play up in the lineup. Gryz can't play with Carlo for whatever reason, they are bad. Wotherspoon is severely limited as well. It's just poorly constructed when it comes to crunch time it seems.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
This is the second time in two years that I've been very impressed with the game Calgary has brought against the Bruins.

I only watched the first two periods last night. It certainly doesn't appear it got any better in the third.

I feel like the "the Bruins don't play well against physical teams" narrative is (once again) being forced. That's not what I saw. What I saw was a Calgary team that was faster and sharper. It wasn't about physicality to me. It was about that they were simply were executing a faster pace.

The Bruins got their asses kicked up in Calgary last season and somehow, someway came out with a miraculous OT win despite being outshot something like 50-20 (and like half of the Bruins shots came in the waning minutes of regulation). This time they got their asses kicked again and got the deserved result.

In my mind, it was as much, if not more, about Calgary putting the pedal to the metal as it was the Bruins "laying an egg". It happens. I don't think it's a bad thing to be humbled. I certainly don't see it as a reason to panic or shit on the team overall. This is the NHL and losing is part of the deal, whether you are associated with the team directly or just a fan like most of us.

They come back with a strong game on Thursday, all is forgiven as it should be.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
my biggest concern for this team is an almost complete absence of any nasty in the lineup, a guy who despises when an opponent so much as looks to try and get in front of the net and hates losing even more

I think the team has a few like that in Marchy and Chuckie , I think the biggest challenge is, this isn`t an element that can be taught, I think a player either has it or doesn`t and even more sad, those players are fewer and farther between these days.

Looks like the B`s drafted a kid like that in Edwards but he`s waaay off from making the big club
They got a physical guy last year. They changed his game.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Great, this is a lazy take. He's also not what this team or fans want from an offensive stand point, either.

What does Grzelcyk do that's good?

Its really not though. If Grz was a bigger d-man, he wouldn't get nearly as much shit as he does from folk. Every year you hear the same thing about Grz and its that he's too small.

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
In fairness, I don’t think anyone expects or should expect physicality from Grizz.

Problem is for most of the last year he hasn’t offered much to offset his lack of physicality.

He scores like a 5/6 and doesn’t do much else.

In the end he’s a small defenseman who doesn’t score like small defensemen are expected to score but also doesn’t defend very well or offer any physicality.
Only place for Gryz is on the third pairing with someone big, physical and can defend. I'd rather Wotherspoon than Gryz. McAvoy needs a better partner, someone like Hanifin. I don't like Gryz as a player and not just because he's small or isn't physical... He's not that great of a defenceman, can't PK or PP and definitely isn't a #2. Please trade him and move on.

Its really not though. If Grz was a bigger d-man, he wouldn't get nearly as much shit as he does from folk. Every year you hear the same thing about Grz and its that he's too small.
Do you really think he is a good defenceman? He isn't a #2 and has been displaced by Wotherspoon on the bottom pairing.
He's not an offensive defenceman.
He's not a defensive defenceman.
He doesn't play on the powerplay.
He doesn't penalty kill.
He isn't physical.
He would not fetch a return in a trade and they'd have to probably sweeten the deal just to move him. Does this scream a player that shouldn't be blasted for how ineffective he is?

Why does anyone who doesn't like him have to be told it's because he's 5'9". He's not that good at being a defenceman. Read above and see the reasons why.

I will say this though. He is a great skater and can transition the puck most of the time. These two things are not worth almost $4 million for a #5/6 especially for a cap strapped team

Do they have to keep him because his dad works there or they are afraid Charlie will be mad?

Last edited:

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Yeah, and every year he's getting pounded into the boards and this year more than ever he's shying away from contact. When the playoffs roll around his game does a complete 180.

This isn't just this suddenly made up narrative.

Torey Krug was small, but he provided tons of offense from the back end.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Only place for Gryz is on the third pairing with someone big, physical and can defend. I'd rather Wotherspoon than Gryz. McAvoy needs a better partner, someone like Hanifin. I don't like Gryz as a player and not just because he's small or isn't physical... He's not that great of a defenceman, can't PK or PP and definitely isn't a #2. Please trade him and move on.

Do you honestly think he is a good defenceman? Really though do you? He isn't a #2 and has been displaced by Wotherspoon on the bottom pairing. Do they have to keep him because his dad works there?

I do think he's a good d-man, but no he's not a #2 d-man. His ideal spot is a 3rd pair role similar to what Shatty is playing.

Yeah, and every year he's getting pounded into the boards and this year more than ever he's shying away from contact. When the playoffs roll around his game does a complete 180.

Never said it was a suddenly made up narrative. All I said is year after year people complain that he's too small. You're just confirming what I'm saying lol. Krug was a fantastic PP QB. Grz isn't the offensive talent that Krug is and that's why he doesn't get PP1 time.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

no, the problem is he plays small. he avoids board battles, is far too easily pushed off the puck and generally gets dominated in the playoffs. he's compounded it this year by bringing his playoff game to the regular season.

and if he was bigger and played this game, he'd get the same crap. Ex: Brandon Carlo

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell

Torey Krug also played with heart and wasn't afraid to muck it up and throw a hit . Gryz is a pushover.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I do think he's a good d-man, but no he's not a #2 d-man. His ideal spot is a 3rd pair role similar to what Shatty is playing.

Never said it was a suddenly made up narrative. All I said is year after year people complain that he's too small. You're just confirming what I'm saying lol. Krug was a fantastic PP QB. Grz isn't the offensive talent that Krug is and that's why he doesn't get PP1 time.
And year after year, people are right. Especially in the post season.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Do you really think he is a good defenceman? He isn't a #2 and has been displaced by Wotherspoon on the bottom pairing.
He's not an offensive defenceman.
He's not a defensive defenceman.
He doesn't play on the powerplay.
He doesn't penalty kill.
He isn't physical.
He would not fetch a return in a trade and they'd have to probably sweeten the deal just to move him. Does this scream a player that shouldn't be blasted for how ineffective he is?

Why does anyone who doesn't like him have to be told it's because he's 5'9". He's not that good at being a defenceman. Read above and see the reasons why.

I will say this though. He is a great skater and can transition the puck most of the time. These two things are not worth almost $4 million for a #5/6 especially for a cap strapped team

Do they have to keep him because his dad works there or they are afraid Charlie will be mad?

Makes no sense to sweeten the deal just to move him. If the coaches think he's that bad, they can just hang on to him for depth.

Reactions: TobanWest

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I do find it funny that this thread and others have been one big pile on Grizz stroke session when Forbort was an unmitigated disaster last night and no one says boo about him.

Reactions: lopey

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
no, the problem is he plays small. he avoids board battles, is far too easily pushed off the puck and generally gets dominated in the playoffs. he's compounded it this year by bringing his playoff game to the regular season.

and if he was bigger and played this game, he'd get the same crap. Ex: Brandon Carlo

I'm not against small defensemen. I'm against small defensemen who play small and that is Gryz to a T.

Connor Clifton is my poster boy for a small defenseman who plays big.

Torey Krug also played with heart and wasn't afraid to muck it up and throw a hit . Gryz is a pushover.

I had my issues with Krug but yes you're right about this. Remember that hit on Robert Thomas?

Reactions: TobanWest

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

I'm not against small defensemen. I'm against small defensemen who play small and that is Gryz to a T.

Connor Clifton is my poster boy for a small defenseman who plays big.

I had my issues with Krug but yes you're right about this. Remember that hit on Robert Thomas?

How did he do in the playoffs last year?

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
Makes no sense to sweeten the deal just to move him. If the coaches think he's that bad, they can just hang on to him for depth.
Was more of a point to show his value. Would have to sweeten the deal to move him. I hope they walk away after this year

I do find it funny that this thread and others have been one big pile on Grizz stroke session when Forbort was an unmitigated disaster last night and no one says boo about him.
The whole team was trash for sure. Most of the season Forbort has been real good. Also blocks shots, defends well, hits, fights when needed etc. If Gryz did something out there this would all be a moot point but he is not a good defenceman. I get it though. Your on team Gryz and that's ok

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
You keep parading this every game.

He's the best partner for McAvoy outside of Lindholm on this team.

Yeah, no one wants that to be the case, but Forbort, Lohrei, Wotherspoon, literally any of McAvoy's non-Lindholm partners are worse than Grzelcyk.

View attachment 815895

Here's my question: Lindholm and Carlo work well together. Carlo is noticeably worse with anyone not Lindholm.

What's easier? Finding a partner for Carlo or for McAvoy?
wotherspoon should be with carlo.
lindholm with mcavoy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad