Game 5: What's that teams name? @ Phoenix Coyotes |1-26-13| 6PM

theoriginal55

Aug 6, 2005
Vermette and Hanzal both stunk it up on faceoffs tonight. Vermette lost alot of very important ones. This is something we usually do well at, and could be part of the reason for the team's struggles.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Who won the fights??????:

Chipchura won the Clifford fight by default. Not much of a tilt, but I don't think Clifford actually got a punch off, where as Chipchura landed a little quit right that did no damage. Fight was broken up when Clifford lost his helmet. Barely a scrap.

Doan manhandled Richards, who got off lucky because Doan was at the end of a shift. Clear win for Doan, but Richards could've been really hurt if he didn't tap the shoulder of the captain when he was already gassed from a big shift.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I must be watching a different game. The last 3 games we've played very well, and would have won 2 or 3 if we had even decent goaltending. The first goal was not Barbs fault, and he played very well on the 5-on-3. The second goal was bad luck. The third was a horrible rebound on a very easy shot - totally his fault. The fourth goal...my son's squirt team goalie could have saved. Just like against San Jose, Barbs is killing us. He's not a reputable backup goalie, and I've always worried he'd cost us the playoffs some year.

I like what I've seen from this team. We've either outshot every team we've played or been barely outshot (Chicago). Our save % is horrible, and if we get the goaltending that we had last year, we'll be a seriously dangerous team. LOL gave them 2 goals and had 2 stolen from us by incompetent officiating tonight or else we'd all be singing a different tune.

We have not played very well. We have given up silly turnovers, and the teams have capitalized. If Smith was in goal, would he have made the saves? Who knows. But should whoever our goalie is have to? NO! We have made plenty of stupid mistakes to deserve losses, and they have hurt us. Out shooting a team doesn't do anything, other than show we might have more offensive zone time than the other team. What about the shots we are taking? If it's from the blue line with no traffic in front, how many of those shots do you expect to make?

I"m not saying this team is in a bad way, but this team is a team built on a system that needs to play disciplined and intelligent hockey for 60 minutes. We haven't been able to do that.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
My random notes as I watched the game on DVR.

That PK in he first. WOW.

2nd:
Not sure I like Vrbata on the point on the PP.
Maybe it's just a 5-3 package though.

Second goal was pure fail. Giveaway leads to a partial break. BLEH. Gotta shake these giveaways. Seems the turnover sickness is even infecting OEL now.

Labarbera has been good enough.

That Boedker Break away .......how we don't see more of this from him is beyond me.

Carter goal, more sloppy play. A bad rebound for sure but no one was on Carter in 5 on 5 play.

Disallowed goal, meh what ya gonna do.
Love the crowd getting on the refs.

Stopped paying close attention here, saw where it was going.

3rd:

Vintage Doan goal. Looking pretty good this season except for some gaffs like everyone else on the roster.

PP in the third was laughably bad.

Doan looked like he wanted to kill Richards for some reason.

Kid caster AUDITIONS, BLAAAAAAAAAH.
Where do they get these kids, when I was kid caster age I could have named at least half the roster and I watched like 5 games a year tops. Who is your favorite player..........Is it Doan.........Yeah.......

Wow, actually a good 6-5 for the coyotes; that never happens. And of course they get quick whistled.......

All in all, it seems like the Coyotes have continued doing the same stupid crap that plagued the Chicago series and for some reason can't stop. A lot of things were going against the Yotes in this game, but they were outplayed regardless and deserved the loss.

Vermette was invisible. LOL's was bad but the Coyotes weren't gonna win anyway.

We have not played very well. We have given up silly turnovers, and the teams have capitalized.

Yep.

RonSwanson*

I like what I've seen from this team. We've either outshot every team we've played or been barely outshot (Chicago).

Outshooting a team doesn't mean you outplayed them.

Most often it's because the other team is protecting a lead and playing more defensively.

slv

Sep 19, 2012
astral
That LoLbarbra contract had to be buy out under old CBA, especially after 3 wins only last season. Good person is not the hockey skill.

And there is the question for Tip why he not benched Yandle after tonns of turnovers, but Rund and Stone blamed after single one, is it scratch or limited ice-time.

Sorry my BryzEnglish, but hope you undstnd me :)

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
That LoLbarbra contract had to be buy out under old CBA, especially after 3 wins only last season. Good person is not the hockey skill.

And there is the question for Tip why he not benched Yandle after tonns of turnovers, but Rund and Stone blamed after single one, is it scratch or limited ice-time.

Sorry my BryzEnglish, but hope you undstnd me :)

To answer your questions, Tippett said several days ago before the Columbus game that "Keith Yandle is a leader on this team and that he needs to set an example by improving his play." Although I think Yandle should be benched, Tippett probably keeps giving him ice time so that if he improves his play it could potentially help other players put out a stronger effort. When it comes to Lolbarbera the Coyotes probably keep him around, because the guys on the team love him despite the fact he has virtually no trade value. Even if he could have been traded in the offseason the crop of competant back-up goaltenders available during free-agency was pretty thin. By the way friend, what country are you from?

slv

Sep 19, 2012
astral
To answer your questions, Tippett said several days ago before the Columbus game that "Keith Yandle is a leader on this team and that he needs to set an example by improving his play." Although I think Yandle should be benched, Tippett probably keeps giving him ice time so that if he improves his play it could potentially help other players put out a stronger effort.
So, Yandle play and don't afraid to make the mistake. It's good. Even OEL had average game tonight with -3 and there is no way he would benched. But what's wrong with Stone, why only 2 min in 2nd period?.. He is not so unproven as Tippet thinks adn this is not the best way to gain confidence for young player. The best way is shift after shift consistent playing. Stone has playoff experience very good shot, solid positioning and he wants to play.
I dont support those ho says that Tip ruins young players, but clear and obvius thats his BIGGEST problem. He never choose Chris Brown over Nick Johnson (no problem with Nick) for examle. He always would bench or sratch yong player while his "proven veterans" would generate nothing but mistakes and turnovers.
NHL is not for development but hi lets some players to develop to some conditions and give them time to limit their mistakes. Adn dont give this to others.
When it comes to Lolbarbera the Coyotes probably keep him around, because the guys on the team love him despite the fact he has virtually no trade value.
Last season we were at some point where we played Curtis McElhinney and he was solid (2 games with 1.67 avg). In Coyotes defencive system every average goalie would be OK but not The Clown. Barbs with his instincts is absolute Joke.
By the way friend, what country are you from?
I'm from Ukraine. It's country in eastern Europe.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Both teams scored four goals tonight.

LOL was back to his old self.

That's the story of this game.

Exactly. I love GMDM as GM, but why is he so reluctant to address our back up situation?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What has stood out for me in these first five games has been Michalek's lack of speed. By the third period, I saw the Kings targeting him with forwards skating right by him to take stretch passes, and even cancel off what should have been icing calls if Michalek was fast enough to touch up. Perhaps he's injured, but this doesn't remind me of the pre-Penguins Z at all.

I didn't think any of the first three goals were LOL's fault, and he made some good saves until that laugher that put the game out of reach. He struggles with rebounds on long, unobstructed shots, maybe worse than any backup in the league.

Can't say enough about Derek Morris's play. Again, he had to cover for many of Yandle's mistakes. I'm just not so sure this is the highly touted best defense in the NHL anymore, having seen Michalek and Yandle's return to last season's form.

Good points. I think Yandle is playing better, but still not great. To me, he plays better when not with Morris.

pacerhimself

Mar 17, 2012
Just took a look at the replay, and Moss' disallowed goal call was pretty questionable. Quick initiated contact outside of the crease. Moss was playing the puck.

6:36
10:40

Last edited:

TeamTourigny

Formally TeamTurris & TeamTippet & TeamTocchet
Jan 16, 2007
Vegas
You all pick on the Yandel turn overs but I believe it was Moss that turned over the Third LA goal by passing the puck into the slot in the nutral zone versus up the boards, the whole team has been making those mental errors all season, not just Yandel

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Wow, both disallowed goals should have counted.

Kings fans on the main board were "quick" to defend the first one as interference (citing the rule) but that was a really weak call. The goalie cannot come out of the crease to prevent a player from skating in front of the net.

The second one was fine worthy for the referee. Terrible call.

pacerhimself

Mar 17, 2012
I understand they cut down the replay for time, but they completely cut out the Richards tripping penalty (which I think was pretty terrible) and the Doan call and penalty kill. Skipped from about 8:00 to 13:00 over commercial break. I'm going to start PVRing the games even when I'm at the arena, so I can continue to fuel my anger.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
You all pick on the Yandel turn overs but I believe it was Moss that turned over the Third LA goal by passing the puck into the slot in the nutral zone versus up the boards, the whole team has been making those mental errors all season, not just Yandel

Everyone has turnovers at some point during a game. It will sound weird for me to define a turnover as a "good" or "bad" turnover, since all turnovers are negatives.

However, there are turnovers in which we are in a position to recover from, and negate whatever the other eam may be able to capitalize on. We have struggled with this IMMENSELY in this early part of the season, as enough of these have found the back of the net in very quick fashion and with the remaining players getting out of position.

While you are correct that the entire team is doing this, you named a player who has had 3 weeks in the system vs. 3 years. Another example - even though Michalek has been slower in foot-speed, he makes better decisions with the puck. On a dump-in in which he was chasing the puck as it approached the blue line, as he skated back, he turned his body so that he could see the entire ice for about a second before making his decision with the puck. Yandle, on the otherhand, would skate to the puck, turn, and fire it away (basically throwing the puck out there blindly). If the puck is turned over, one player is in a recoverable position, and the other is not. One player assessed where players were on the ice, the other did not.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Kings fans on the main board were "quick" to defend the first one as interference (citing the rule) but that was a really weak call. The goalie cannot come out of the crease to prevent a player from skating in front of the net.

The first disallowed goal is a call that happens quite often. Quick moved to the top of the crease to cut down the angle and make a save just outside the blue paint. Incidental contact between Quick and the Coyote player prevented Quick from making a play on the puck. It's a good call and happens several times during the season.

The 2nd one, the ref was just asleep. Some of them blow the play down way too soon when they lose sight of the puck for just a split second.

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
The first disallowed goal is a call that happens quite often. Quick moved to the top of the crease to cut down the angle and make a save just outside the blue paint. Incidental contact between Quick and the Coyote player prevented Quick from making a play on the puck. It's a good call and happens several times during the season.

The 2nd one, the ref was just asleep. Some of them blow the play down way too soon when they lose sight of the puck for just a split second.
Quick knee where moss was at and acted (flopped) accordingly. Wonder if brown worked with him on his acting lessons?

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

We are well aware that the first disallowed goal can happen as such, but you even used the term, "incidental." Something done incidentally comes without a plan. That is like calling Lucic's hit on Miller last year "incidental." If you watch the video, Quick is making a play on the puck, just fine. The redirect causes the issue, not the contact.

In the past now, but I wish there was a way that the NHL could review these with the intent of saying where is the puck relative to the goalie. If you slow down the replay, it almost looks like the puck is passing or just about to pass Quick when a true point of contact is made. Similar to the idea of interference being called tighter on the "half-second" rule (e.g. hit happens far after the puck is dumped in), it seems fair to say that if the puck is 5 feet from the goalie, and contact is made, then the ruling is fair. If the puck is inches from the keeper when contact is made, he is already committed to that spot on the ice, and any contact is likely irrelevant...

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

:biglaugh:

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

^

This would be correct, in the eyes of anyone who has any knowledge/experience with this great game.

Deputy Dawg

Jan 19, 2013

NHL Rulebook

2. THE GOALKEEPER IS OUT OF THE GOAL CREASE.

A. An attacking player makes incidental contact with the goalkeeper, however, no goal is scored on the play. Play continues, no whistle.
B. An attacking player makes incidental contact with the goalkeeper at the time a goal is scored. Goal is allowed.

Quick was clearly outside the crease. See the attached screen capture.

Attachments

• moss goal disallowed.JPG
    moss goal disallowed.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad