Game 5: What's that teams name? @ Phoenix Coyotes |1-26-13| 6PM

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I think the combination of bad turnovers, even OEL had a few tonight, and average goal tending, that is costing us. Barbs has not been bad, he has played well for him, still average at best. Quick was much better as expected. I am not sure how long it will take Tip to get the system in tact, avoid dumb turnovers, and get smith back, and Smith playing well. We could be 10 games in before that happens, in a big hole. I sure hope it does not take 10 games.....The funny part is, the offense seems to be generating more chances but L.A. is missing two key D men too, so who knows...

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
The first 10 minutes was an amazing display of hockey from the Coyotes. The only thing missing were pucks in the back of the net, but we generated numerous chances and the Kings were on the back foot the entire time. Then at some point, we decided to take the foot off the gas, and we fell apart. Extremely disappointing.

pacerhimself

Mar 17, 2012
One thing is certain, if this team is going to try to do drop passes, they REALLY need to work on their god damn drop passes. Nobody is ever expecting it, yet they are used just about every time they try to enter the zone.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
What has stood out for me in these first five games has been Michalek's lack of speed. By the third period, I saw the Kings targeting him with forwards skating right by him to take stretch passes, and even cancel off what should have been icing calls if Michalek was fast enough to touch up. Perhaps he's injured, but this doesn't remind me of the pre-Penguins Z at all.

I didn't think any of the first three goals were LOL's fault, and he made some good saves until that laugher that put the game out of reach. He struggles with rebounds on long, unobstructed shots, maybe worse than any backup in the league.

Can't say enough about Derek Morris's play. Again, he had to cover for many of Yandle's mistakes. I'm just not so sure this is the highly touted best defense in the NHL anymore, having seen Michalek and Yandle's return to last season's form.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Bad thing about tonight? We lost.
Good thing about tonight? We learned that one can win it all and still never be happy overall with what they accomplished, if you know what I mean!:naughty:

zz

Nov 1, 2006
I didn't think any of the first three goals were LOL's fault, and he made some good saves until that laugher that put the game out of reach.

One of those three was a bit fat juicy rebound. This should have been a 2-2 or 3-3 game.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
To be honest the loss can't really be blamed on Barbs. He's not stealing games for us like Smith did last year but he is giving us a chance to win every game.

Once again, defensive mistakes and turnovers cost us the game. Even OEL screwed up tonight, I saw him miss a play either because he was too lazy or confused, Kings picked up possession and scored 30s later.

I'm not sure how long it takes to learn Tippet's system... the thing is we don't have very many new guys to teach it to and Moss and Sullivan have seemed to pick it up well. The Pacific is looking super-competitive so we don't have much time to fix the mistakes at all.

just my 2 cents

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Were Aucoin, Rozsival, Whitney, Pyatt and Langkow that important to the team? Who'd a thunk it?

Pyatt and Langkow I don't miss at all. They had flashes here and there but Moss and Lombardi are better replacements. Aucoin was good was overall but he had some serious **** ups here and there that cost us games as well like in Game 2 of the Quarterfinals vs the Blackhawks. Whitney I'm still out on as I have to see how he does in Dallas in order to see if in his 2nd year with the team if he is someone we should have kept or not as result of putting up the numbers in a contract year.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
It's not necessarily that the players are valuable or not valuable to the team, as I would argue that our team is overall, more talented than last year's.

The difference is that when you have a normal schedule, you can go to practice and review the video to see where the correctable issues are. We simply don't have that luxury this year. While the coaches and players go in with a gameplan, they have not had enough time to dissect the video to find strengths/weaknesses of other teams, and certainly have not had enough time to practice what to do in those situations.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
I think we just lack talent. No. I know that we lack talent.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
We have talent. We are not a very talented team. Then again, having talent doesn't mean **** if you doesn't have chemstry. Good thing for us that unlike the LA WheatKings, we don't have nearly as bad of the chemstry issues over the past few seasons.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
To be honest the loss can't really be blamed on Barbs. He's not stealing games for us like Smith did last year but he is giving us a chance to win every game.

Once again, defensive mistakes and turnovers cost us the game. Even OEL screwed up tonight, I saw him miss a play either because he was too lazy or confused, Kings picked up possession and scored 30s later.

I'm not sure how long it takes to learn Tippet's system... the thing is we don't have very many new guys to teach it to and Moss and Sullivan have seemed to pick it up well. The Pacific is looking super-competitive so we don't have much time to fix the mistakes at all.

just my 2 cents

All you can ask from Barbs is to give us a chance to win, and he's been doing that. He really needs to work on his rebound control though, I don't think he has any clue where the puck is going after he makes a save.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
We have talent. We are not a very talented team. Then again, having talent doesn't mean **** if you doesn't have chemstry. Good thing for us that unlike the LA WheatKings, we don't have nearly as bad of the chemstry issues over the past few seasons.

We lack offensive talent. Guys like Kopitar, Carter, Richards etc. We have Boedker who is fast. That's about it. Our D is a different story ofcourse.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I think I'm going to have to disagree with some of you guys on Barbs here. He only makes adequate saves and rarely ever steals a goal from another team and so far through this season, almost every time we begin to build offensive momentum or score a goal of our own, he almost always lets in a very soft goal within a minute or two that deflates any momentum the Coyotes have going.

ScottsdaleYote

May 29, 2011
I must be watching a different game. The last 3 games we've played very well, and would have won 2 or 3 if we had even decent goaltending. The first goal was not Barbs fault, and he played very well on the 5-on-3. The second goal was bad luck. The third was a horrible rebound on a very easy shot - totally his fault. The fourth goal...my son's squirt team goalie could have saved. Just like against San Jose, Barbs is killing us. He's not a reputable backup goalie, and I've always worried he'd cost us the playoffs some year.

I like what I've seen from this team. We've either outshot every team we've played or been barely outshot (Chicago). Our save % is horrible, and if we get the goaltending that we had last year, we'll be a seriously dangerous team. LOL gave them 2 goals and had 2 stolen from us by incompetent officiating tonight or else we'd all be singing a different tune.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I must be watching a different game. The last 3 games we've played very well, and would have won 2 or 3 if we had even decent goaltending. The first goal was not Barbs fault, and he played very well on the 5-on-3. The second goal was bad luck. The third was a horrible rebound on a very easy shot - totally his fault. The fourth goal...my son's squirt team goalie could have saved. Just like against San Jose, Barbs is killing us. He's not a reputable backup goalie, and I've always worried he'd cost us the playoffs some year.

I like what I've seen from this team. We've either outshot every team we've played or been barely outshot (Chicago). Our save % is horrible, and if we get the goaltending that we had last year, we'll be a seriously dangerous team. LOL gave them 2 goals and had 2 stolen from us by incompetent officiating tonight or else we'd all be singing a different tune.

This

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad