Post-Game Talk: GAME 5 - St. Louis 2 BRUINS 1 - Blues lead series 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

False Start

May 8, 2018
There were no numerous **** ups in the 1st period. Heinen had 6 shifts for 3:35. Would have been really, really hard to screw up multiple times in such a short span :laugh:

Quit before the hole gets deeper.

You will defend this guy until you die.

He was awful last night overall. The top six wasn't much better. But when a supposed quality top 9 player only plays 8 minutes something's going on. You're telling me that he couldn't win any of his matchups so that the other players could get a breather? Or Bruce flat out refused to play him for a different reason?

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
It was close, and not for a lack of trying. It appeared that Krug turned away and Sanford only grazed him. Doesn’t change the fact that it was an attempted hit to the head...again.
Agree, problem is... Krug sold it a little.
At first I thought it was hit to the head, changed my mind after the replay in different angle.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Here is what I understand, the team with the bigger, more physical D and more aggressive, bigger forwards is winning this series and instead of wanting the Bruins to become more physical some, not all, here are crying about the Bruins getting run over and want the refs to protect them. Disgusting.

No fanbase appreciates big and physical hockey more than this one.

The issue isn't their physicality. It's the targeting heads on almost every hit - quite a few have connected (including three last night - all of which went unpenalized - and the Sundqvist hit on Grzelyck) - and thankfully some haven't (like the attempts to run Carlo & Pastrnak in Games 2 & 3). It's the looking the other way on the holding, tripping, et al, that's leading directly to turnovers and goals. Those should be - and often are - automatic penalties, especially when they lead to a change of possession. Several have led directly to scoring chances and goals. Last night's non-trip on Bozak was egregious, but even in Game 2, their OT winner came because they were able to establish possession after a clear trip in the RW corner when the B's were about to retrieve and clear the puck.

We can all appreciate a good open-ice hip check or a good shoulder-to-shoulder hit. But there is no room in hockey for checks to the head - especially flying elbows and blindside hits. And there have been plenty in this series.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Anyone who has ever played knows that its impossible to dive like that and time it perfectly with a slewfoot attempt.

The only way the bruins are going to win is by playing the way the blues are with a borderline attempt to injure. Blues have been trying to take players out all series and have. Chara was an accident obviously but Griz was intentional and so wasnt last night.
I was in judo program and my instructor was the US Recent 2 Olympic coach, former WC, multi Olympic medalist, we had other Olympic gold medalists and the girls were amazing including Harrison, Roussey as they were teens but really good

My one favorite move I loved was the leg sweep. The combo move off this was a killer - and I can tell you as someone who has been leg swept a lot knowing it was coming it can take time getting used to

When I saw Acciari play - I was sitting second row behind net on that side my immediate reaction was leg sweep slew foot - my daughter who was in US judo and did that move also saw it and pretty much said same

Embellishment I doubt it

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
That’s nice but a 5 min major in last nights game could have been a difference maker ,if this guy gets a game ,big deal they have other goons to take his place.

STL 4th line probably going to end up with 2 different suspensions. I guess that's been the gameplan and they are executing it to a T. Assuming Barbie gets something, two suspensions, yet only 2 mins of on ice penalty minutes.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
I think I am done with the NHL. I've been heading down this path for a while and these playoffs are cementing it for me. It isn't even this series.. the gross incompetence is something I just can't get over.

of course, I reserve the right to change my mind, but as of now. f*** THE NATIONAL PIECE OF SHIT LEAGUE

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
One thing is clear to me at this point.

No matter who wins this series. Stephen Walkom should win the Conn Smythe

The one unifying story this postseason, and in particular in the finals, is the abject failure of the NHL Officials to police the action on the ice. Completely have made themselves the story game after game.

Walkom as director of officiating should be pilloried for this failure

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
You will defend this guy until you die.

He was awful last night overall. The top six wasn't much better. But when a supposed quality top 9 player only plays 8 minutes something's going on. You're telling me that he couldn't win any of his matchups so that the other players could get a breather? Or Bruce flat out refused to play him for a different reason?

He wasn’t awful last night. He wasn’t great either, but he also wasn’t turning pucks over and making bad defensive plays (looking at you JDB).

Cassidy clearly decided that with 11 F’s he was going to play the horses. The B’s had 4 F’s over 20 minutes, which never happens and he wanted to keep the 4th line together because it’s been the most consistent. Combine that with Heinen not being on the PP and you get lower TOI.

I’m not sure what else to tell you, except if you are looking to lay blame on forwards in this series, Heinen should be waaaayyy down on the list.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I’m hoping they take that and the fact that he did the same thing to Hertl into consideration and give him 2 games, but it’s unlikely.

99.9% sure he gets one game.
Barbashev well get one and game 7 will be as useless as juggs on a bull

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Agree, problem is... Krug sold it a little.
At first I thought it was hit to the head, changed my mind after the replay in
different angle.

Krug looked pretty pissed after the play. I don’t think he sold it as much as he was probably thinking, holy shit, I almost just got clocked in the head, lol.

I had much less of an issue with the Sanford play than I did Barbashev or Bozak.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
The NHL knows there was a huge problem tonight.

They are not concerned at how Boston media reacted - but how NBC, HNIC, both Toronto papers and TSN are screaming about the officials.

BUT - The Bruins inability to score is the major issue that the team faces.

I am convinced there will be a Game 7
In my opinion, the reason why the officiating has been the topic of conversation these playoffs is because TSN, Toronto media, and Leafs fans complained that the Bruins were playing "too physical" which was nothing compared to how the Blues have been playing.

I am not trying to defend the referees for their horrible calls, but I can see why some games are micromanaged while others are not and so on. There has not been any consistency because of the complaints from media, fans, and coaches this postseason as early as the first round. No one, not even the teams know what is legal or not. Marchand's soft poke is a penalty, but then the hits on Krug and Johansson, both were high with some contact to the head, are legal. That is just a few examples from last night's game. I can go on and on with examples from this series and those previous and not only from series

Either stick to the rulebook while being lenient on physical play, or call every infraction like in the regular season. There is no in between. However that in between is what we have been seeing in the playoffs which not only may effect the outcome of some games but is ruining the experience and NHL product.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
STL 4th line probably going to end up with 2 different suspensions. I guess that's been the gameplan and they are executing it to a T. Assuming Barbie gets something, two suspensions, yet only 2 mins of on ice penalty minutes.
I think Berube says hit hard and Ott says hit high.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
You can't remove the enforcers and also not call penalties.
Years ago someone would pay for their actions, with western justice. Now its up to the officials, for good or bad.
Post game suspensions DO NOTHING to win the game that was already affected and finished.
If the league is not careful, teams could start bringing enforcers back, along with a top PK unit, and just take their chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad