GDT: Game 5, part two

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
secondly, Wings have to break through Ducks 2 men forechecking. How? I dont know. Study video? maybe defensive partners can do a better job giving support.
I think the Wings D needs to skate the puck. They get into the most trouble when they're stationary in their own zone and get hemmed in. Of course, I'm not sure Babcock would approve, and I think our D-group has pretty average footspeed and might not be able to pull it off. Hence their hanging out behind the net for extended periods of time.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
We all get that its Babcock that puts Lashoff in, and that it's not his fault that he is playing. Fine. But he hasn't been good, and CC is sitting there, healthy, with more experience, so Lashoff is going to get **** on. The difference between him and Goose, who also makes a fair share of errors, is that Nyquist also creates a lot of opportunities. Lashoff starts at 0 and just goes down.

It's the same thing with Abby. I'm a big Abby guy, I think he's a very good bottom 6 player, but its hard to defend his placement in the top 6 (even though he's been better the past few weeks and I think we are better team with him in the lineup). So naturally, Abby gets alot of crap as well.

In other words, its all Babcock's fault. Or Holland's. Or whatever.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Because we know exactly how this team performs with a 2 or 3 goal lead.

We do. Do you not remember game two against Anaheim?

4-1 in the third period and they ended up blowing the lead.

Defense just makes far too many mistakes and the offense can't score enough goals to cover up those mistakes.

This team is built to lose in the first round.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
I think the Wings D needs to skate the puck. They get into the most trouble when they're stationary in their own zone and get hemmed in. Of course, I'm not sure Babcock would approve, and I think our D-group has pretty average footspeed and might not be able to pull it off. Hence their hanging out behind the net for extended periods of time.

I've thought of some elaborate plan where D pass it to forward first. forward skates a bit and drop passing it back to D. well easier said than done. could be picked off after couple times. It's so easy to pull off in xbox though when you have birds eyes view. That's why I think video is important. It makes you realize where the pressure is coming from, where it is going afterwards, how much time you have and so on.

Wish I could control Wings player with my xbox controller. I could beat these quacks in double digits every single game.

Actual Thought*

You wouldn't know that by the comments about Lashoff...

Smith especially; it seems like he turns the puck over directly to the opposition every other possession.
With tape to tape precision accuracy!:handclap:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
We all get that its Babcock that puts Lashoff in, and that it's not his fault that he is playing. Fine. But he hasn't been good, and CC is sitting there, healthy, with more experience, so Lashoff is going to get **** on. The difference between him and Goose, who also makes a fair share of errors, is that Nyquist also creates a lot of opportunities. Lashoff starts at 0 and just goes down.

It's the same thing with Abby. I'm a big Abby guy, I think he's a very good bottom 6 player, but its hard to defend his placement in the top 6 (even though he's been better the past few weeks and I think we are better team with him in the lineup). So naturally, Abby gets alot of crap as well.

In other words, its all Babcock's fault. Or Holland's. Or whatever.

What players are selected from the pool of players and where they play are Babcock's decision. Holland has said this in interviews. Now you can have a gripe with the overall talent level, but Lashoff in the lineup over CC and Abdelkader on the first line is a Babcock call. Really the only time I can think of when this was a question was when Nyquist was first up and Babcock eluded to scratching him in the morning and low and behold he was in the lineup later. Both Babcock and Holland have a lot of stature, it makes their relationship harder. I don't think either wants to tell the other what to do and there seems to be a little build towards putting things on the other, it is subtle but the comments over the last two years seem to show a developing rift.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
A lot of the Getz goal is on Ericsson/Kronwall. Yeah, they were on the pk, but it was essentially a 1 on 2, they conceded the blue line and then conceded the slot, and you can't do that with a guy like Getzlaf. Again, Howard gave us a shot to win and we couldn't capitalize on our opportunities. I'd almost like to see Emmerton scratched and Abby playing 3rd or 4th line C. I like Emmerton, his forecheck/work ethic is great, but he's a liability in the faceoff circle, and I think a 4th line of Abby/Eaves/Tuzzi would give us some added offensive depth that big boy Brucey would have fits with. Lashoff needs to be swapped out. Smith and Kindl are at least bringing something to the table, Lashoff brings turnovers, porous d, and aneurisms for all Wings fans, well probably everyone except Babcock because he clearly has the blinders on.
it was not at all a 1 on 2. it was closer to a 3 on 2.

beleskey drove the middle lane in front of getzlaf, pushing back ericsson and kronwall. perry was driving the right side.

ericsson and kronwall had to deal with 3 F's. ericsson took beleskey, no one had perry and kronwall moved to getzlaf but only as he was scoring.

i blame andersson more than anyone. he originally moved toward perry, but then coasted and allowed perry to go to net. but he also did not attack getzlaf. if there had been a rebound on the right side, perry could easily have had it.

For those questioning Lashoff playing:

Plus/minus: 0 (tied for 1st)
Hits: 6 (tied for 4th)
Blocked Shots: 6 (3rd)
Turnovers: 2 (tied for 2nd fewest)

In 3 games he's gotten as many or more hits than Quicey and Smith, and he's blocked more shots than Quincey, Ericsson, and Smith (who've all played 5 games). That's what they want him out there for.

As for those of us who defend him? Pay attention to other parts of his game. Is he out of position more than he should be? Sure. Does he make some questionable plays? Absolutely.

Is he a rookie with 31 games of regular season and 3 games of playoff experience?

Yep.

But hey, don't let little things like "facts" get in the way of finding a scapegoat.
sample size??

over a larger sample of games, lashoff was the worst on the team in most important metrics. he had worst GA per minute at both ES and SH. had the worst ES shot differential on the team. he also had the worst GF per minute among the d-men.

i think he also has the worst positioning of all the d-men, and has the least upside.

being effective is not about hits, giveaways, blocked shots, turnovers, etc. which team gets more scoring chances when lashoff is on the ice? which team has the puck more? which team gets more shots? which team scores more (over a fairly large number of games)?

NHL does not have an official stat for getting dominated and stuck in the defensive zone, but that tends to happen to lashoff. possession is extremely important, for both offense and defense.

i very much hope babcock is not putting lashoff on the ice to spend most of his time in his own end defending cycles.

Anaheim IS a better team than us, and our only avenue of acquiring leverage is to capitalize on mistakes and not make our own.

Lashoff makes a lot of mistakes, and doesn't create mistakes for the other team. That blown play at the end of the game is a grand summation of his play during those 60+ minutes.

Nyquist created MANY chances tonight. On the other side of the coin, Quincey, who is widely regarded as awful as well, had a stable and relatively worry-free performance tonight (there might've been a screw up, I can't remember clearly) without making much happen offensively.
agree

quincey was surprisingly good.

nyquist's offensive aggression and confidence with the puck is really nice. he is sometimes too fancy with the puck when he should just take a shot, though.

Oh no, don't tell me you want to use Corsi ratings... ;)
what's wrong with corsi as a measure of possession?

He actually is a pretty good passer (last night's 2 bad giveaways notwithstanding), and usually tries to make the easy pass to whomever is the puck-mover, but he can rifle some outlet passes.
i think that is another reason lashoff does not have many giveaways.

he dumps the puck to his partner, even when it is not the right play, and opponents take advantage, but his poor decision making there is not recorded as a turnover.

getting dominated by forechecking probably is also not recorded as a turnover. that tends to happen to all the d-men, though.

Lashoff blocks a lot of shots bc the opponent is shooting almost all the time he's on the ice.

Lots of hits and few giveaways bc he doesn't have the puck much.

Or along those lines.
that simple idea seems to not be widely understood. players who allow the opposition to have the puck in their offensive zone are generally not very good, unless they are always playing against stars and limiting their scoring (certainly not true of lashoff).

imagine a player who is great defensively, and has a large number of hits, blocks shots and makes many strong defensive plays. if he spends 70% of his time in the defensive zone, is he better than someone who is merely good defensively but consistently tilts the ice toward the offensive zone? which one would get scored on more? which one helps his team more?

That's a good point. It makes sense that puck possession guys like Datsyuk won't have many shot blocks even if they're very committed and good at shot blocking, simply because they're mostly playing in the o-zone.

And a defenseman like Lidstrom is so good at breaking up plays before they amount to much that there will rarely be opportunities for opponents to take big shots from far out, so even if he's great at shot blocking he just won't have many opportunities to do it.
Right. I don't think Lashoff is a good puck possession player. He's the opposite. When the Wings have the puck, he's basically not touching it. His partner does the work. He's also not really the type to help get it back. His style is sort of just to minimize the damage until the Wings can chip it up and out.
:thumbu:

Last edited:

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Happy birthday Stevie. sure could use your leadership going into game 6.

Like St. Nick, Stevie Y's leadership came from his play on the ice and the respect the rest of the players had for them. I don't doubt the "leadership" presence on this team in the locker room. Players like Z, Kronwall, Bert and I guess Cleary provide plenty of it in the room.
It comes down to the star players playing like star players. Leading by example, giving 110% and leaving NOTHING out there on the ice by being entirely relentless. I'm fairly confident Z will play his best game of the series tomorrow.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Happy birthday Stevie. sure could use your leadership going into game 6.

shoulda traded him for Yashin becuz you can never win with Steve Y :laugh:

when I watch Canucks and Sedins, it does remind a bit of Red Wings. Sometimes, you gotta bear some scars in order to rise above occasion. And it takes time. One of the lesson I learned from watching hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad