GDT: Game #5| Jan. 26, 2013|Flyers at Panthers |7:30 p.m. ET

ShotScore*

Agreed. I was never a JVR fan so I'm liking this trade so far. Probably liking it more than those who liked JVR though.

The problem with JVR was we could never count on him. He was always injured with this or that and missing games because of it.

I loved that kid's potential but the fact is he just never lived up to it here.

To me, it was no big deal giving him up for Luke because it wasn't like he was always counted on to be one of the guys that you could count on to carry the team in crunch time.

Instead, if you got a big contribution from him it was looked at as a bonus instead of what was actually expected.

I'll take Luke any day over him simply for the fact that we can count on Luke from what we've seen so far.

kyuss

Wings make our ding-dings sing.
May 28, 2012
As per the Bernie Buzzkill clause of my contract: Kurtis Foster looked awful at times tonight, that pairing of Foster/Grossman will get ripped apart by any team with a half decent cycle.

Nice to say "Knubled" again

Foster is definitely soft, but it all depends on how much the forwards help them. Grossmann can definitely battle on the boards.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The problem with JVR was we could never count on him. He was always injured with this or that and missing games because of it.

To me, it was no big deal giving him up for Luke because it wasn't like he was always counted on to be one of the guys that you could count on to carry the team in crunch time.

Instead, if you got a big contribution from him it was looked at as a bonus instead of what was actually expected.

I'll take Luke any day over him simply for the fact that we can count on Luke from what we've seen so far.
To me JVR was frustrating as hell. The guy would have a monster game then disappear for the next couple of games. IMO he was all potential here.

JVR may go on to be a good player for the leafs but I was getting sick and tired of waiting for him to put it all together. I feel JVR was every thing flyers fans complained about Jeff carter for.

But whatever we needed defense and JVR was expendable with on forward depth. I'm glad we made that trade even if JVR turns into a 25 goal scorer as long as schenn provides a good physical presence on the back end.

Yukon Cornelius*

Foster is definitely soft, but it all depends on how much the forwards help them. Grossmann can definitely battle on the boards.

No denying that on Grossman but the cycle is about wearing down the "D" physically and through skating. There was a good 60 second span (in the 2nd me thinks) where the 2 of them were completely lost, had no clue who to pick up or where to be. Foster's stamina is especially piss poor regardless if he's "just the 6th D-Man" as others will defend him with. It was a horrendous shift and definitely an eye opener moving forward.

ShotScore*

To me JVR was frustrating as hell. The guy would have a monster game then disappear for the next couple of games. IMO he was all potential here.

JVR may go on to be a good player for the leafs but I was getting sick and tired of waiting for him to put it all together. I feel JVR was every thing flyers fans complained about Jeff carter for.

But whatever we needed defense and JVR was expendable with on forward depth. I'm glad we made that trade even if JVR turns into a 25 goal scorer as long as schenn provides a good physical presence on the back end.

Exactly my point. Any big contribution from him was looked at as a bonus instead of what was expected.

ShotScore*

Mine would be
1. Read
2. Simmonds
3. L. Schenn

Bryz was dam good when he had to be.

I actually saw a post yesterday from a Rangers fan calling Bryz "one of the worst goalies in the league".

What are they watching?

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
matt read may be our best shooter.... i wonder what type of numbers he could put up being on a line with giroux.....

read giroux simmonds
hartnell couts briere
knuble schenn voracek
talbot fed mcginn

rinaldo
sestito

id like this for the rest of the year.

kyuss

May 28, 2012
No denying that on Grossman but the cycle is about wearing down the "D" physically and through skating. There was a good 60 second span (in the 2nd me thinks) where the 2 of them were completely lost, had no clue who to pick up or where to be. Foster's stamina is especially piss poor regardless if he's "just the 6th D-Man" as others will defend him with. It was a horrendous shift and definitely an eye opener moving forward.

I understand your concern, but if an opponent is running a successful cycle on you, your forwards share some blame.

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
I actually saw a post yesterday from a Rangers fan calling Bryz "one of the worst goalies in the league".

What are they watching?

You see, most of them only watch the rangers.

So they see people bashing bryz and assume he is the worst. Explains why they think the refs were AGAINST them in the last period of the game.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
a lot of the beat writers think Laughton will be sent to juniors

Bill Meltzer @billmeltzer
If Flyers didn't intend to keep Laughton, I think he'd have been scratch on wknd road trip, played Tue then been returned to OHL. We'll see

I value his opinion more than the other writers. But like he said we'll see.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
Bill Meltzer @billmeltzer
If Flyers didn't intend to keep Laughton, I think he'd have been scratch on wknd road trip, played Tue then been returned to OHL. We'll see

I value his opinion more than the other writers. But like he said we'll see.

What's his thinking behind the weekend scratc, playing Tuesday then being sent back?

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama

I think this is a good summary. I liked JVR - the injuries kept us from truly seeing what he could give. I still think he might put it all together in Toronto and end up being a 30 goal 60 - 70 point guy.

I think people expected too much from him too soon. He is supposed to be a power forward type player, and they take longer to develop. Just look at Cam Neely and John Leclair. They didn't do much their first 3 or 4 years then after trades, they exploded. If he could ever play a full season he might do the same.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
What's his thinking behind the weekend scratc, playing Tuesday then being sent back?

I'm guessing he thinks they wouldn't have bothered bringing him down to Florida. He didn't have a follow up tweet further explaining it.

They play the Rangers on Tuesday maybe he thinks they would save Laughton for the tougher team than Florida and Tampa Bay.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
You forgot the flamingo shot blocking.

Too funny..I see no detail escapes you. :laugh:

I recall that statement in the offseason from a Toronto fan and I thought it was kind of funny imagining him doing it and I have mentioned it in other threads but I have yet to see it so I guess it was some contrived knock. Let's hope we don't see it though..or maybe just once to see what it looks like if even true...

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
One position I do not have any problem with the Flyers is with handling their forward draft picks. They know which one's are ready to play (Couts) and which one's need time to develop their game(like Giroux). Whatever decision they make(I believe he stays) is better for his development.

Broad st phantom

Oct 28, 2005
philadelphia
I cant saw enough how happy I am with L Schenn. Toronto may have been right about him for when he played in Toronto, but he has been nothing but a beast in Philly.

kyuss

May 28, 2012
Too funny..I see no detail escapes you. :laugh:

I recall that statement in the offseason from a Toronto fan and I thought it was kind of funny imagining him doing it and I have mentioned it in other threads but I have yet to see it so I guess it was some contrived knock. Let's hope we don't see it though..or maybe just once to see what it looks like if even true...

I only remembered it because it was the strangest scouting report I've ever heard. A few of us inquired about it. I speculate he took a shot off his skate and lifted it in reflexive pain.

My prediction: shut down beast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad