GDT: [Game #5] HOME OPENER Dallas Stars vs Los Angeles Kings - 7:30 PM CT (ESPN+)

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Can someone explain to me why Gurianov is in the center of the ice on the power play? Why is he not on the half way waiting to tee up that one timer?

Hasn’t scored enough goals from the half wall to earn a promotion to play at the half wall #TexasHockey

:sarcasm:

Reactions: JesusNPucks

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Can someone explain to me why Gurianov is in the center of the ice on the power play? Why is he not on the half way waiting to tee up that one timer?
Because he is too dumb with the puck to be on the halfwall is my guess.
Yes his one timer is nice but it's pretty common for the puck to be moved around via players in that spot too, and also pretty essential to be able to make smart passes/plays from there.
And anytime Gurianov has to do anything but shoot, it generally means losing control of the puck.
Again just a guess.

Last edited:

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
Because the coaching staff appears to prefer, even on the man advantage, the safest approach. Better to not score than to potentially give up an odd-man chance.

Its not like he has ever done anything of significance on the half wall, right? Oh wait. . . never mind.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Yes his one timer is nice but it's pretty common for the puck to be moved around via players in that spot too, and also pretty essential to be able to make smart passes/plays from there.
And anytime Gurianov has to do anything but shoot, it generally means losing control of the puck.
Again just a guess.

100%

His inability to control the puck while under pressure on the half wall is the reason why.

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
Again just a guess.
Good guess. But I think this is more accurate to the situation: “Because he is too dumb with the puck to play super-safe, conservative, and scrappy Dallas Stars hockey (even though it’s a power play) to be on the halfwall is my guess.”

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
100%

His inability to control the puck while under pressure on the half wall is the reason why.
It’s crazy, really. The coaches would rather voluntarily and literally give up possession by dumping-and-chasing on a power play than risk the possibly of giving up possession on the half wall.

Edit: I understand they’re not the exact same. Only pointing out what I appear to be an inconsistency.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Pretty rare to dump and chase on the PP, not sure where that idea is coming from.

Gurianov defenders can't admit the guy has 0 IQ, is scared to handle a puck, and makes rushed decisions 90% of the time resulting in turnovers and him riding the bench. If Gurianov could slow down the game, let his brain catch up, and make smarter decisions he would be a much better player.. but he rushes everything he does on the ice. Panic Peter.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
@columbus
Vs Vegas (missing some top talent)
VS ottawa

Stars can really give the season a head start with a strong 3 game stretch here. Hope they come to play

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Pretty rare to dump and chase on the PP, not sure where that idea is coming from.

Gurianov defenders can't admit the guy has 0 IQ, is scared to handle a puck, and makes rushed decisions 90% of the time resulting in turnovers and him riding the bench. If Gurianov could slow down the game, let his brain catch up, and make smarter decisions he would be a much better player.. but he rushes everything he does on the ice. Panic Peter.

I think if Gurianov found a coach who can accept who he is and make him comfortable he might play in a less panicked fashion. This could be completely untrue, but I am continually baffled by how he is the only player that gets called out in the media, other than that bizarre f***ing horeshit incident. I think Gurianov is maybe not the greatest mentally, I don't mean hockey IQ-wise, we all know that isn't his specialty, I mean his play swings wildly with confidence. Guy went from being benched in the Calder cup to 20 goals in the NHL 2 years later. If he isn't feeling it, things don't seem to go well for him.

For whatever reason, Bowness (and Montgomery before him) decided that they would motivate him by means of public humiliation. You'd expect that kind of stuff in some Canadian market, but despite multiple parts of this team not working at all sometimes, he is the only one who is singled out. I'm gonna guess it doesn't make him feel great, and it isn't helping him relax. Maybe even if he found a great coach and a good situation he still wouldn't be good enough to consistently be a good goal scorer who does everything else passably, but I question this team's methods in developing him.

His Russian predecessor seemed to have figured something out with the Avs he just didn't with us, maybe that's coincidence, maybe that's finding a team that embraces his strengths instead of turning him into something he isn't. And Gurianov has never gone to the Russian media to complain a single time, unlike said predecessor. Dude has taken it all on the chin and kept on going without complaint, from being left to rot in Lada post-draft to whatever the hell this crap is in Dallas. Really wouldn't be surprised if he turned it around somewhere else, and if his next contract takes him straight to UFA.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I actually kinda like Gurianov playing in the slot. Teams will still respect his shot there, but not only that he almost seems to be better there in terms of decision making. Has time to think about his next play and has to do everything quickly before guys pressure him, so he doesn't really even have time to lose the puck. It worked out last night and a lot during preseason. I think the coaching staff has liked him there to. Also, he can use his speed to retrieve pucks too if needed

And as others have mentioned, he touches the puck a whole lot less outside of quick one touch passes. Perfect scenario for him. I would like to see them use his shot in that spot more though off quick passing plays

Reactions: Magic Mittens

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
If ESPN+ is only $70 per year, I'd say it's worth it. I pay much more to watch NHL games here in Canada (NHL Live). And if you want to watch local games, just use a vpn.

Reactions: Johno

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad