GDT: [Game #5] HOME OPENER Dallas Stars vs Los Angeles Kings - 7:30 PM CT (ESPN+)

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Bowness doesnt like him, his usage has been very low this year.

This definitely has to be more than just that. Gotta be injured. Kero only played 6 minutes too but I think the Stars pretty much went down to 3.5 lines

serp

Jan 17, 2016
So odds of Hakanpää getting suspended ? Didn't see it live but doesn't look that bad on the replay just unfortunate result . 5 and game might be enough ?

Last edited:

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
I haven't watched much of the rest of the league but if there's a worse team in the NHL in transition I'd honestly feel sorry for their fans. Dallas is terrible attempting to carry the puck and create offense.

LA is going to feel hard done by and Holtby is much better than I ever thought he was.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
It's nice the team now looks competent in OT. Would be nice if they could also look good 5on5 .

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Miro is on another level this season. He's our best skater by a mile night in and night out. Holy man, we're lucky to have him. Last year's COVID19 funk was obviously real.

Holtby making Nill look like a genius. Honestly its not insane that the management looked at our goalies last year and weren't confident in them rebounding this year. A backup plan was smart, and betting on Holtby to bounce back has gotten us 3 Ws that Anton probably wouldn't have been able to pull off.

This team still skates, passes, and comes out like shit. The flat starts are going on half a decade now and its only getting worse as the prime players slow down. Need more minutes for the kids, less for the vets I guess. Bowness obviously can't get them going offensively. They'd be 0-5 right now without Holtby being a .950 goalie. Very lucky to be where they're at.

Seguin looked much better this game I agree. Hopefully he just needed some time to get back into the groove. Not unexpected after not playing for 18 months.

Honestly, all credit to Holtby tonight, he made some great saves. I have no idea why anyone thinks we look 'competent' in OT though, literally, Holtby is the only reason we didn't lose that OT. They've been absolute dogshit in OT, giving up prime chances by being sloppy as hell with shot selection, positioning, and passing. We could have easily lost both games, IMO. We're just playing 50/50 pond hockey and it came up Stars both times. No doubt, it's fun to watch, but it's still really bad.

I agree that getting another goalie could be viewed as an intelligent move, I will die on the hill that picking a guy that was bought out and outperformed so badly by his teammate was a stupid choice that is completely working out. If that's on Jeff Reese, then great, I hope he takes credit and there's at least one member of the front office we can all have faith in.

This team looks absolutely awful otherwise, we continue to get caved in at 5 on 5. Tuxedo mask meme is absolute perfection.

Also, I'm glad this thread isn't as horrible as the main thread about Leah Hextall. You can dislike her, criticize her, but frankly, she passes a bar that many national pbp guys don't: She gets all the names right, she doesn't ramble about stupid shit during play, and she was mostly very accurate. That puts her in the top 75% of NHL PBP people. Yes, her voice is a few octaves higher than we're all used to, so f***ing what, it's just different.

I'm not going to claim she's great or even good, but the bar for NHL PbP is very, very low, and I think she's cleared it just fine. The critiques are hilarious, because if we were half as critical of some of the other schmucks we've had to listen to over the years, the sheet of dumb things they do would be longer in many cases. Also, let's not pretend Brian Boucher added anything to that game, she might as well have been there by herself. HFBoards, no politics, misogyny acceptable.

Reactions: JenniferH

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Its amazing how we made it this late in the game and they still havent fixed their laggy ass camera. How can they not notice in the truck when switching between their cameras the massive lag?

I wasn't able to watch the game. Were the commentators at the game? I wonder if it was completely remotely produced except for the cameras and they were streamed back to their studio and getting out of sync. Still no excuse. They'd have hardware back at the studio that time syncs those before sending to the switcher. I don't know how else they'd get out of sync if the camera feeds weren't streamed somewhere before putting to air.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
I wasn't able to watch the game. Were the commentators at the game? I wonder if it was completely remotely produced except for the cameras and they were streamed back to their studio and getting out of sync. Still no excuse. They'd have hardware back at the studio that time syncs those before sending to the switcher. I don't know how else they'd get out of sync if the camera feeds weren't streamed somewhere before putting to air.

I thought they were offsite, but they went to them during an intermission and they seemed to be in the AAC, so dunno what the deal is.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
I thought they were offsite, but they went to them during an intermission and they seemed to be in the AAC, so dunno what the deal is.

Reading more comments elsewhere it seems like the audio was out of sync with the video which is a totally different thing. What I read at first made it sound like the cameras were out of sync with each other. So maybe the announcers were there but the rest of the production was remote.

Edit> Maybe I should just finish reading before posting. So I guess the cameras themselves may have been out of sync with each other making the audio also seem off.

Last edited:

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
It wasn’t just out of sync, the audio was erratic and got loud at weird times. Made it seem like I was watching a WHL game 10 years ago.

The pbp wasn’t great but I agree with @Captain Awesome that she did a better job than a lot of the regulars around the league. She was making some small mistakes that I think over time she will get better at handling. Most pbp just ignore their mistakes when they say the wrong name and continue on hoping no one noticed. I think that is often the better option than correcting yourself mid play.

Reactions: JenniferH

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Yeah, I didn't mean to go full on rant mode, but the main boards makes me wanna puke sometimes with how bad it gets. I'm not wading into that boomer cesspool, but I felt the need to say something. She may not have experience, or the credentials (I have absolutely no idea, I'm not gonna go find her in LinkedIn), and her last name is Hextall. You know what that means? She's basically just as qualified as everyone else she works with. I'm not preaching this as a positive, I'm just saying it's a bit like Bowness shitting on Gurianov publicly while the rest of the team is just as bad: Just say you hate Russians and stop pretending it's about anything else.

And I just finished watching the game before I made that initial post, the audio was really hard to deal with all game. Bally's seemed to have gotten a handle on it in the last game, ESPN sadly hasn't. I'm starting to wonder if this is an NHL thing. I think the sounds mean more to us than most other sports, but I can't remember ever watching a football game with these issues. This was an issue last year as well I think.

Reactions: Kipper 17

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Reading more comments elsewhere it seems like the audio was out of sync with the video which is a totally different thing. What I read at first made it sound like the cameras were out of sync with each other. So maybe the announcers were there but the rest of the production was remote.

Edit> Maybe I should just finish reading before posting. So I guess the cameras themselves may have been out of sync with each other making the audio also seem off.

Here is what was happening.

Camera 1 - Main center ice camera - was delayed by about .75 - 1 second from the audio. You would hear pucks hitting sticks, posts, etc. before it actually happened.

Camera 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 - Corner cameras, cameras on top of the glass, cameras behind the nets, etc. - were insync with the audio, for example: corner camera was showing LA player behind the net, and the guy bangs on the glass and it was in sync.

So, when the broadcast switches between Camera 2 in the corner, and Camera 1 at Center ice, they aren't lined up right? So Camera 2 shows the player at the faceoff dot, they switch to Camera 1 and its delayed about 1 second, so now the player is 3 ft. behind the faceoff dot even though they just switched cameras. It was lagged.

So the audio was the biggest problem, but every time they switched cameras, there was players kinda warping/teleporting around the ice as well.

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
Shocking. . . one of Dallas’ better goal scorers the past two years was put in a position to use his strengths, instead of being punished for his weaknesses, and won the game on a sweet goal-scorer’s goal.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA

Camera 1 - Main center ice camera - was delayed by about .75 - 1 second from the audio. You would hear pucks hitting sticks, posts, etc. before it actually happened.

Camera 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 - Corner cameras, cameras on top of the glass, cameras behind the nets, etc. - were insync with the audio, for example: corner camera was showing LA player behind the net, and the guy bangs on the glass and it was in sync.

So, when the broadcast switches between Camera 2 in the corner, and Camera 1 at Center ice, they aren't lined up right? So Camera 2 shows the player at the faceoff dot, they switch to Camera 1 and its delayed about 1 second, so now the player is 3 ft. behind the faceoff dot even though they just switched cameras. It was lagged.

So the audio was the biggest problem, but every time they switched cameras, there was players kinda warping/teleporting around the ice as well.

Holy crap, Dallas Stars hockey is unwatchable by itself, if I had noticed that I would have had to stop watching the game.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013

Yeah that was the most annoying part. Seeing a dump in by a Stars’ player and then camera switches and I need to see that shit again…

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Yeah that was the most annoying part. Seeing a dump in by a Stars’ player and then camera switches and I need to see that shit again…

I mean its the Stars experience . We all already are like this before the games even start.

giphy.gif

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Can someone explain to me why Gurianov is in the center of the ice on the power play? Why is he not on the half way waiting to tee up that one timer?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad