Goal-Day Thread Game 5: Everything is Missing: AZ at MIN - 5PM - NBCSN

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Which kinda pisses me off cuz he’s played well

I wouldn't go so far as pisses me off, cause it is Kempe, but yeah there are far worse passengers.

If you've ever seen King of the Hill you'll remember this episode where Bobby Hill is on the track team. Bobby is extremely unathletic. So the coach comes up with a plan to put Bobby in place of anyone who is slacking off though he knows the slacking off good athlete is better than Bobby. The team loses and thus the track team is more motivated next time. The carrot is getting to run the track meet. "The Stick" is Bobby takes your job.

I always think of that episode when Josh "The Stick" Archibald plays. Of course Kempe kinda sucks too so it doesn't quite work in this case.

So we will lose 7-4

I'd be okay with scoring 4 and losing. Not long term or anything, but at least showing the ability they can score 4 seems like a step up.

Reactions: CC96 and Naych_PHX

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
P.S. Anybody know a place you can watch replays of the games outside of the NHL center ice package?
NHL.Com Click on any matchup and you can watch any goal from any game on your desktop or device.
If you are using a desktop do not click on Watch. Instead click gamecenter. That's where the replays are.

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
We should have them all be goal day threads, like the one we had we we actually scored and won the game. Keep that tradition going.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
We can still play the who scores the first even strength goal of the season. I can't believe we haven't scored an even strength goal yet. 1 PP, 1 shorty. Here's hoping that the flood gates open tonight.

Reactions: doaner

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Who are these "scorers" you speak of? This team doesn't have any real ones except Keller. Anyone else is just hypothetical. All this time of being told were stock piling young talent is BS. Our AHL is bare and the Yotes dont really have the scoring talent most other teams do. This puts pressure on the goalie to shut them down every night which is impossible. No way playoffs. Need at least two new consistent scorers.
All based on 4 games:) Seriously, we are way outshooting our opponents by 13 a game, thats a lot, 36 shots. Some will start going in sooner or later. Having more pure scorers would be great but most goals are deflections or rebounds now days anyway. We haven't been getting outplayed in any of our losses either, just a few mistakes and no puck luck. I would be worried if our D and goal tending was a train wreck, its not.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
All based on 4 games:) Seriously, we are way outshooting our opponents by 13 a game, thats a lot, 36 shots. Some will start going in sooner or later. Having more pure scorers would be great but most goals are deflections or rebounds now days anyway. We haven't been getting outplayed in any of our losses either, just a few mistakes and no puck luck. I would be worried if our D and goal tending was a train wreck, its not.

Yeah, honestly, our D hasn't been horrible - mainly some little mistakes that wind up costing us b/c the puck finds the back of the net. Like our offense though, we won't go the entire year letting every small mistake in the back of the net in the same sense that we won't be held scoreless with the number of shots put up. The bolded part of your comment is the difficult part for us right now. If you go back and watch all four games, we haven't gotten great rebound opportunities and our shots through traffic all wind up never getting on goal - most are blocked around the circles and our sticks are tied up each time. We need to get some of these shots through and be aware of our spacing in setting the screens, as we just aren't getting the chances with the opposition out of position. That is about the only negative puck luck that we have seen - too few 2nd chances in close, which makes a world of difference for a team desperate for goals. Crash the net hard, and let's make Dubnyk work for saves. Take some shots with the intent of shooting some low to allow for some juicy rebounds off pads. Haven't seen enough of that and using our angles and players driving toward crease to get some additional high quality shots that way.

As soon as the dam is broken on goal-scoring, we have a lot to like about the direction of the team, as you mentioned with our shots for, chances for, and possession metrics. The problem is that you can do all those things well and still lose games. No fan should be close to panic mode with this team this year. If anything be in "unlucky" mode, b/c record is much worse than what our play and abilities have been.

Last edited:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
RE: Shots and what I was talking about garbage time

It's true we're doing well in shots. But again I think due to being behind and we're not actually doing as well as the raw numbers would have you believe.

From hockey reference:
Shots By Period
123otTot.
AZ4939570145
Opponent353819092
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
3rd period number kinda stands out no?
This doesn't mean we're doing poorly in terms of creating shots. If you take third periods out completely we're still ahead. But it looks a lot less dominant. Which agrees with the eye test doesn't it?

But perhaps it's not fair to completely take out the third period. Probably is against Buffalo, but not Anaheim. The winning Ducks game was 2 to 2 and the Coyotes pretty well controlled that 3rd period. No garbage time in a 2-2 game. Or even the loss which was a 1-0 game in the third.
But the Dallas game and Buffalo game I think need to be considered when talking about shots. They just flat out weren't trying that hard after they built their leads.

Also worth noting that the Ducks are one of the lowest shot totaling teams in the league the last 2 seasons at 27th. That's not their game.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
I made a shot tracking program last year, I'll see if I can find wherever I saved it and hook up the last few games and see how many shots have come from the outside

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Yeah, honestly, our D hasn't been horrible - mainly some little mistakes that wind up costing us b/c the puck finds the back of the net. Like our offense though, we won't go the entire year letting every small mistake in the back of the net in the same sense that we won't be held scoreless with the number of shots put up. The bolded part of your comment is the difficult part for us right now. If you go back and watch all four games, we haven't gotten great rebound opportunities and our shots through traffic all wind up never getting on goal - most are blocked around the circles and our sticks are tied up each time. We need to get some of these shots through and be aware of our spacing in setting the screens, as we just aren't getting the chances with the opposition out of position. That is about the only negative puck luck that we have seen - too few 2nd chances in close, which makes a world of difference for a team desperate for goals. Crash the net hard, and let's make Dubnyk work for saves. Take some shots with the intent of shooting some low to allow for some juicy rebounds off pads. Haven't seen enough of that and using our angles and players driving toward crease to get some additional high quality shots that way.

As soon as the dam is broken on goal-scoring, we have a lot to like about the direction of the team, as you mentioned with our shots for, chances for, and possession metrics. The problem is that you can do all those things well and still lose games. No fan should be close to panic mode with this team this year. If anything be in "unlucky" mode, b/c record is much worse than what our play and abilities have been.
Our GAA is still very low in spite of several obvious mistakes on D. Some of our shots don't make it through, but many are, compared to the rest of the NHL. I agree we need more rebound attempts, guys in front of the net, that is where we will score.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Most of the shots are low quality and are not quick shots, making them much easier to track for the goalie. Raw shot count doesn't mean a whole lot.
Statistics over time say shot attempts do matter. Its not about getting better quality shots, its about getting rebounds and you only get those if we shoot. I wouldn't tell guys to shoot less or only in high quality situations, that would lead to less shots, less rebounds, lesser chance of goals.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We are 5th in GAA, 1st in shots against, and 6th in shots for, best shots for/against in the NHL and excellent puck possession numbers. If all that continues, we make the playoffs. The team will start scoring, doing many of the right things. If we had a few more goals and a few wins, these numbers would make us look great. We'll be fine, stay the course and look at the big picture, underlying numbers. Last, its 4 games guys:)
Exactly. Like you said, it's 4 games, and people are calling for a tank and a trade. Unbelievable.

Reactions: kbay

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2