GDT: Game 5 | Detroit Red Wings @ Chicago Blackhawks | 7:00 PM EST | FS-D (HD)

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
If we even had a terrible PP, we would have won last night's game. Chicago was literally trying to hand it over to us. I can't even say this PP is bad. It's worse than terrible.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
If we even had a terrible PP, we would have won last night's game. Chicago was literally trying to hand it over to us. I can't even say this PP is bad. It's worse than terrible.

The fact that the team is acknowledging how terrible it is seems good to me, but the trick is can they fix it.

I thought this game was pretty good and very frustrating. I thought Howard should've had the first and third goals - big time goalies need to make those saves.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
The fact that the team is acknowledging how terrible it is seems good to me, but the trick is can they fix it.

I thought this game was pretty good and very frustrating. I thought Howard should've had the first and third goals - big time goalies need to make those saves.

Well.... When your mentor is Chris Osgood...

RedWingsNow*

I don't think this team was "dominant" last night.
Not even a little bit.

HTT3*

After watching the first few games I have to say I feel better about this team than I originally did. They are playing better than expected... and lets not forget they are pretty banged up already; helm only played one game ffs.

Defense isn't the issue, the issue is the offense which will turn itself around. This team has too much firepower not to score. Another thing that hopefully get's turned around is the PP. It's pretty anemic.

All in all, the team isn't that bad. I like it better than last year's team... especially the 4th line. 22, Miller and Abs really creates some havoc!

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris

Babcock and Kronwall can say they'll fix it all they want. I haven't seen anything that indicates they are addressing it. It's only 5 games, but the PP is getting worse, not better. 0 for 6 or 7 opportunities with 6 shots on goal. That's pathetic.

As they say, actions speak louder than words. Only way they'll fix it is if they actually execute during games. They would've won the game if they had somewhat of a decent PP. Out of 6 opportunities if you score one or twice, that's an ok night. And that would've been enough to put the Hawks away. Halfway through the game the Hawks were pretty much out of it. The Wings just didn't have enough killer instinct to finish it off. Even the OT goal was a simple shot from the slot that was tipped by Brunner.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I really wasn't impressed by either team. Chicago had a pretty good excuse. They looked as if there was a carbon monoxide leak in their locker room as the game went on. I don't know what Detroits excuse was, they were just out of sync. I think the quality of teams in the west is pretty tight, and it is still unclear on which side of the middle we will settle into....

HTT3*

[conspiracy]

Babcock and Kronwall can say they'll fix it all they want. I haven't seen anything that indicates they are addressing it. It's only 5 games, but the PP is getting worse, not better. 0 for 6 or 7 opportunities with 6 shots on goal. That's pathetic.

As they say, actions speak louder than words. Only way they'll fix it is if they actually execute during games. They would've won the game if they had somewhat of a decent PP. Out of 6 opportunities if you score one or twice, that's an ok night. And that would've been enough to put the Hawks away. Halfway through the game the Hawks were pretty much out of it. The Wings just didn't have enough killer instinct to finish it off. Even the OT goal was a simple shot from the slot that was tipped by Brunner.

[/conspiracy]

You're right, Babcock and Kronwall really want the power play to fail and don't care if they can't score...

/conspiracy

RedWingsNow*

I take 2 things from this game, and neither are good news for the Wings:
1: Chicago owned the Wings when they had their legs. The Zetterberg line was dominated in the first period.
2. Detroit, despite having a 6-1 powerplay advantage and fresh legs, couldn't find a way to take a game they should have.

I don't see any positives out of this.
Except that I was mildly impressed with Albdelkader and Ericsson

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
You're right, Babcock and Kronwall really want the power play to fail and don't care if they can't score...

/conspiracy

Conspiracy?

The problem on the PP isn't something out of the blue. They've sucked since the beginning of the season (even last season). But I see nothing from the last few games that tell me they are looking to improve it. They are passing themselves into oblivion. 6 shots, man, 6 shots. On 6 PP opportunities. Is that addressing the issue?

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
The saddest thing is, Babcock and management accept that Detroit is mediocre and doesn't seem to want roster changes etc.

If you summarize Babcock's comment's since the CBA was signed it's more or less "I like our team, eventually we'll be fine".
I'm sorry but I don't see it.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
1: Chicago owned the Wings when they had their legs. The Zetterberg line was dominated in the first period.
2. Detroit, despite having a 6-1 powerplay advantage and fresh legs, couldn't find a way to take a game they should have.

agreed but chicago had 3 pp not just the 1. doesn't make it much better, but your making it look that much worse by excluding the penalties that DRW actually killed off. and yes they came when chicago had no gas left.

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
If you summarize Babcock's comment's since the CBA was signed it's more or less "I like our team, eventually we'll be fine".
I'm sorry but I don't see it.

I know you like to see things in pitch black, but it's not THAT bad. Sure, Chicago won without even having a good night last night, but Detroit showed good signs that at least we're a playoff team. It's gonna be a huge transition to lose a player like Lidstrom (and for that matter Holmstrom, looking at our powerplay last night), but we need to give it 10 games or so before we start panicing. Keep in mind that these guys didn't get a preseason either, it's been a long time since a lot of them played etc. We won't finish first in the conference, but I'm confident we can perform much better over time.

Try to focus on the good things, it'll make life more endurable, trust me. ;)

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I really wasn't impressed by either team. Chicago had a pretty good excuse. They looked as if there was a carbon monoxide leak in their locker room as the game went on. I don't know what Detroits excuse was, they were just out of sync. I think the quality of teams in the west is pretty tight, and it is still unclear on which side of the middle we will settle into....

Chicago is looking very legit and they were coming off a pretty hectic schedule. We are showing some signs of life I just don't see us being anything other than a mediocre team fighting tooth and nail to lock down the 7th or 8th seed come playoff time. As much as I would like to keep the playoff streak intact I also wouldn't mind putting ourselves in position during this shortened season to get a very high draft pick. Heck, I'd even be willing to trade a key roster player to ensure we get a very high draft pick to lock down someone like Seth Jones.

Jones is compared to Chris Pronger and as much as I hate Pronger the guy made every team he played for championship caliber. This may be the perfect time to find the guy to pass the torch from Yzerman to Lidstrom to Jones. Z is a great player but he's not an elite player like Y or Lids. Jones seems like he's got that same potential and Jones could get a new streak going like Lids had in Detroit. Z could be captain until a guy like Jones is ready to take over and start a new era in Detroit. The last thing I want us to do is become what the Detroit Pistons have become, locked in a never ending spiral of mediocrity.

caseygraves

Don Cherry apologist
With this game, the Red Wings proved that the offensive barrage in the Wild game was an anomaly and not a sign of things to come.
The Wings are winning every other game just about. Is a .500 record good enough to make the playoffs in the West? I doubt it.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Chicago is looking very legit and they were coming off a pretty hectic schedule. We are showing some signs of life I just don't see us being anything other than a mediocre team fighting tooth and nail to lock down the 7th or 8th seed come playoff time. As much as I would like to keep the playoff streak intact I also wouldn't mind putting ourselves in position during this shortened season to get a very high draft pick. Heck, I'd even be willing to trade a key roster player to ensure we get a very high draft pick to lock down someone like Seth Jones.

Jones is compared to Chris Pronger and as much as I hate Pronger the guy made every team he played for championship caliber. This may be the perfect time to find the guy to pass the torch from Yzerman to Lidstrom to Jones. Z is a great player but he's not an elite player like Y or Lids. Jones seems like he's got that same potential and Jones could get a new streak going like Lids had in Detroit. Z could be captain until a guy like Jones is ready to take over and start a new era in Detroit. The last thing I want us to do is become what the Detroit Pistons have become, locked in a never ending spiral of mediocrity.
I'm with you. I don't see us as anything more than a first round exit. I see us battling for a 6-8 spot, I got St Louis San Jose Vancouver Chicago LA 1-5 order doesn't matter. So there are 3 spots for all the other middle of the road teams, Nashville Minnesota Dallas and Anaheim are the teams we got to worry about IMO.

HTT3*

Conspiracy?

The problem on the PP isn't something out of the blue. They've sucked since the beginning of the season (even last season). But I see nothing from the last few games that tell me they are looking to improve it. They are passing themselves into oblivion. 6 shots, man, 6 shots. On 6 PP opportunities. Is that addressing the issue?

Is that because Detroit thought "Cool, power play... now we can rest for 2 minutes and think about golfing"? Or is it because they haven't found an identity yet, plus lets not forget Chicago has one of the PK units in the west?

Wings are going to get better as they roll on. The curse is this regular season is short, so they get very little time to gel.

It would have been better if the entire year was locked out, honestly. Wings will prove they are an above average team... the problem is it will come too little, too late. I think they will do damage if they make the playoffs.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

Funny enough, during the St. Louis game the Wings looked like an AHL team - now they're settling into what they are. And that's a bubble playoff team at best.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I'm not sold on people saying they don't/didn't have time to "gel" when majority of the roster has been the same for years. The defense I will give the benefit of the doubt given the injuries, but Brunner and Tootoo are the only ones new to the Red Wings system.

HTT3*

I'm not sold on people saying they don't/didn't have time to "gel" when majority of the roster has been the same for years. The defense I will give the benefit of the doubt given the injuries, but Brunner and Tootoo are the only ones new to the Red Wings system.

Yeah you're right Blashill should have the powerplay BEASTING. And we all know Red Wings defense were never the driving force of their offense. I think the DRWs defense was in 30th place last season in scoring...

:laugh:

Oh didn't Samuelsson score a hat trick for Flordia yesterday? Hudler has been invisible in Detroit this season, did he go to jail for prostitution or something? Wngs offense is "the same for years" :laugh:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Should be booed for embellishing that bull****.

That was a pretty legit spear, the kind I expect the league office to look at. He tried not just once but twice to land it and made good. You cannot tell me Bolland didn't know exactly what he was doing there. Those weren't just chops he turned his blade of his stick so that he could inflict maximum punishment, got it between the ribs and knocked the wind out of him.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Yeah you're right Blashill should have the powerplay BEASTING. And we all know Red Wings defense were never the driving force of their offense. I think the DRWs defense was in 30th place last season in scoring...

:laugh:

Oh didn't Samuelsson score a hat trick for Flordia yesterday? Hudler has been invisible in Detroit this season, did he go to jail for prostitution or something? Wngs offense is "the same for years" :laugh:

I said majority of the roster has been same for years, which it has. That's not terribly difficult to understand, at least I hope not. Samuelsson is useless, but still knows how the Red Wings play.

If Datysuk and Zetterberg can't create offense for their lines and the Red Wings need to rely on defense to score goals they may as well tank and go full rebuild.

We all know not having Lidstrom hurt the team more than what was initially thought but it's still not an excuse for the offense to go completely stagnant. Not when the first two lines have been playing together for years sans Brunner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad