GDT: Game 5 | Detroit Red Wings @ Chicago Blackhawks | 7:00 PM EST | FS-D (HD)

HTT3*

I said majority of the roster has been same for years, which it has. That's not terribly difficult to understand, at least I hope not. Samuelsson is useless, but still knows how the Red Wings play.

If Datysuk and Zetterberg can't create offense for their lines and the Red Wings need to rely on defense to score goals they may as well tank and go full rebuild.

We all know not having Lidstrom hurt the team more than what was initially thought but it's still not an excuse for the offense to go completely stagnant.

Majority? To whose standards, certainly not to anyone who understands hockey.

Who is new?

Sammy
Brunner
Smith
Lashoff
Huskins
Monster
Cola
Quincey
Tootoo
Emmerton is relatively new - def hasn't been here for "years" as you call it.

That's TEN (10) One.Zero new players... Lol. Majority? HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!1!!!!!!!1!

Lets not forget Assistant coach Tom Renney.....

:help: :shakehead

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit

Who is new?

Sammy
Brunner
Smith
Lashoff
Huskins
Monster
Cola
Quincey
Tootoo

That's TEN (10) One.Zero new players... Lol. Majority? HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!1!!!!!!!1!

Sammy is not new, he already knows the Red Wings system. Same with Quincey and Smith and Emmerton. They've played here, under Babcock, the style he teaches and plays has not changed. They teach them how to play the Red Wings style in Grand Rapids so the transition is easier. Simply put; they all understand the style Babcock uses. They just aren't good.

What does Monster have anything to do with scoring goals? You're grasping for straws here.

Cola doesn't even count, he's made of glass. We knew he was going to only play 25% of the games to begin with which he's going to be damn near close to that pace. I'll give you the defense for now because of all the injuries, but before them they were relatively the same as well.

I don't know why anyone would try to argue that this team hasn't been the same for the past couple years. It's the reason why they are in the shape they are in. This is the first year it looks a little different because of Lidstrom and Stuart leaving.

Saying they need time to 'gel' is just another excuse for a stagnant team. If anything they need to skate non-stop at practices, which they can't do because of how many games they play.

In my experience on the interwebz, the ones that say "if you understand [insertsubjecthere]" are the often the ones that don't know as much on it.

My simple arthimitic gave me this % of skaters that aren't new to the Red Wings team - 24/29 = 82.75%. I would argue that is majority of a roster, yes?

Last edited:

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
That was a pretty legit spear, the kind I expect the league office to look at. He tried not just once but twice to land it and made good. You cannot tell me Bolland didn't know exactly what he was doing there. Those weren't just chops he turned his blade of his stick so that he could inflict maximum punishment, got it between the ribs and knocked the wind out of him.

I'm still not sure how bad I think it was, and how much he was trying to sell the call, much like taking a nap in the crease a few games ago when the Wings had the puck. The thing is, if it was a deliberate spear by Bolland, why didn't Franzen go after him later in the game? He could have at least done his trademark "wait for the ref to get in-between him and the other guy, then act like he wants to go." Surprised that Babs didn't ask Tootoo or Abs to try to catch Bolland on a shift later in the game if Mule was actually hurt.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Who is new?

Sammy
Brunner
Smith
Lashoff
Huskins
Monster
Cola
Quincey
Tootoo

Most of those guys have played in our system for a number of years though, it shouldn't be as tough of a transition as it has looked for some of them.

Of course the injuries to a couple has hurt as well.

But Emmerton, Lashoff, Smith, Sammy, and Quincey all have extensive knowledge of how we like to play the game.

Smith and Lashoff are still adjusting to the bump in talent, but they do know the system.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm still not sure how bad I think it was, and how much he was trying to sell the call, much like taking a nap in the crease a few games ago when the Wings had the puck. The thing is, if it was a deliberate spear by Bolland, why didn't Franzen go after him later in the game? He could have at least done his trademark "wait for the ref to get in-between him and the other guy, then act like he wants to go." Surprised that Babs didn't ask Tootoo or Abs to try to catch Bolland on a shift later in the game if Mule was actually hurt.

The game was too close they need the points is my opinion on that. Also I have feeling when they watch the replay they are going to be more upset. Like I said it wasn't one swipe. He gets him on the wrist/glove like that and then goes back for seconds.

bullocks

Jun 26, 2007
Toronto
So the same fans who whine about us having to beat Chicago cuz theyre tired are the same fans who whine about us losing to Dallas with no mention how we shoulda been "tired". Got it :help:

RedWingsNow*

agreed but chicago had 3 pp not just the 1. doesn't make it much better, but your making it look that much worse by excluding the penalties that DRW actually killed off. and yes they came when chicago had no gas left.

I know. But the penalties were 6-1 at one point.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
“When you’re the Mule and you’re net-front you want someone to shoot the puck, otherwise you’re standing there and wondering what you’re doing,'' Babcock said. “You’re standing around and you have dust on you, you don’t do anything.

“(Tomas Holmstrom) used to come to the bench and yell at me to tell them to shoot, shoot. Mule’s not doing that, but he’s thinking the same thing. If they shoot, he’s got a chance to generate offense. If they don’t shoot, he goes and gets the puck back and stands there and watches them pass it around. You have to shoot to score.''

“Our power play has to be a weapon for us,'' Babcock said. “We talked about it right at training camp. It’s not been as good as we’d like it to be so we’ve got to get that going.''

He will use Jakub Kindl, a healthy scratch Sunday, at the point on the second power-play unit Tuesday against the Dallas Stars (7:30 p.m., Fox Sports Net Detroit).

Oh, Kindl getting his chance. Hope the pp looks better Tuesday, and Babs advice is working. Shoot the damn puck guys. Especially Dats would be lot more dangerous if opponent was always afraid that he would fire that accurate wrister every time he has the puck.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Oh, Kindl getting his chance. Hope the pp looks better Tuesday, and Babs advice is working. Shoot the damn puck guys. Especially Dats would be lot more dangerous if opponent was always afraid that he would fire that accurate wrister every time he has the puck.

I actually agree with Babs here... (hate to plug, but I said this earlier) and I think it will start clicking sooner or later, too much talent not to.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids

I'd love Pavel to be more aggressive with his shots, but if it hasn't happened yet, I doubt it will start now. He's a generational talent and my favorite Wing to watch since Fedorov, but it just isn't in his DNA as player to pull the trigger every time he has an opening.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ

Yes, because Kindl has a lot more offensive potential than Smith. :facepalm:

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Well, I don't know. They've been using four forwards most of the time. Babs probably can't wait for Sammy to get healthy so he can use him on the second unit.

Samuelsson wasn't on the 2nd unit point for the PP, he was on the boards with White on the point.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Samuelsson wasn't on the 2nd unit point for the PP, he was on the boards with White on the point.

Huh?

Anyway, just checked Khan and yes Smitty and Kindl will man the points on the second PP.

Wrt Sammy, I'm saying that he will end up as a point guy on the second PP. That's where Babs used him his last go-around with the Wings.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Huh?

Anyway, just checked Khan and yes Smitty and Kindl will man the points on the second PP.

Wrt Sammy, I'm saying that he will end up as a point guy on the second PP. That's where Babs used him his last go-around with the Wings.

Last time he didn't have a right handed defensemen to use on the 2nd PP.

This year during Samuelsson's return the PP units were:

Datsyuk - Z - Franzen
Kronwall (L) - Brunner (R)

Cleary - Filppula - Samuelsson
Quincey/Smith/Kindl (L) - White (R)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad