GDT: Game 5 Coyotes Vs Rangers - 4:00 Sunday October 23rd

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Well, the entire premise of my post was questioning if Playfair was bringing the forwards properly into the fold on our defensive game plans. If he is, we need a new coach, b/c it has been 3-4 years of the same thing. If not, he better start getting the forwards caught up on proper defensive play to save his job. Players will make some mistakes here and there, but not to the level at which we are making now.

That was the advantage that I think Ulf gave us - he started off coaching defense first to all levels, and b/c it was our first time being truly "coached" in a while, the team responded. I think that Ulf made us into a cohesive unit. I don't think Playfair is making us into a cohesive unit.

I guess based only on your criteria they need to replace Playfair because it's ludicrous to think the entire team is not privy to the same page, if you will. If what I call ludicrous is actually happening then they need to replace Tippett, as he is the head coach and responsible to make sure this most basic premise is being taken care of.

This is not an amateur organization and I'd be shocked if either scenario is true. There is a big difference between understanding and executing. Both offer challenges, but once understanding takes place, execution comes under unfriendly fire from the opposition and thus the challenge of this greatest of all games.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Good post cactus. Average shot distance has to be point blank. I've never seen a team collectively forget how to defend the slot like the Coyotes have. Guys are not sticking within their defensive assignments and that's a coaching thing on Playfair (and ultimately Tip).

We've done a horrible job at covering the slot, and eliminating high-risk chances, since the 2012-2013 season.

When is somebody other than Don Maloney going to be held accountable for these problems, which have been recurring for 5 years now?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
We've done a horrible job at covering the slot, and eliminating high-risk chances, since the 2012-2013 season.

This is why I think it's coaching. Either he's not getting through anymore or the scheme has changed or the players just aren't smart enough. We had a lot of players come through on a turnstile since 2012.
We were (barely) above .500 with such defensive stalwarts as Cal O'Rielly and Patrick O'Sullivan on the team, but we can't approach .500 since despite the Moss, Chipchura, etc defensive players? We didn't look like a tire fire with Patick O'Sullivan taking shifts, but there isn't enough talent the past few years to keep us from looking completely lost in our own zone?
I'd buy the roster/money excuse if we were like the early Tippett teams. Lots of actual try and playing a tight, disciplined game but without enough talent to finish out games or stay competitive. Those teams gave you an honest effort every night. The last four plus years have not looked anything like that

When is somebody other than Don Maloney going to be held accountable for t2hese problems, which have been recurring for 5 years now?
They'll demote Domingue soon as an accountability measure. They just extended most of the coaching staff including Playfair. Noone is going anywhere in this ol boys club. The same guy who threw a public tantrum and threatened to quit after we sold off Yandle, Z, and Vermette is now our de facto GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00