GDT: Game 5 - CBJ at CAR - 12 Oct, 7pm

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Finally a game where our vaunted defense was, at times, dominant. Like the Savard / Gavrikov pairing so far. Korpi played a game that he absolutely should have played since the Defense helped him tremendously. Thought both Carolina goals were pretty damn good shots, so no fault of Korpi's. We still need way more out of all of our offensive lines, but if the defenseive game can maintain the effort from last night, then we shouldn't need a ton of goals. Last night is exactly how this team needs to play every game. Lovin me some PLD. Dude is a horse.

LoveCBJ

Jan 17, 2009
South Carolina
Was at the game and enjoyed every minute except when Jones got called for interference for standing on the ice! Cam and Nyquist were buzzing around the ice and Bjork had his best all-around game ever. Korpi was solid and the D was great. So much fun hearing the Canes fans yelling shoot the puck the last 2 minutes with no results! It was a white-out so that is why they wore white. Also, the short shifts in the 3rd really helped us. Go CBJ!

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I thought Nyquist - Dubois - Atkinson was really effective last game because they were all moving their feet. It wasn't too cute.

But their passing is still atrocious. I think they were good almost despite each other. For me it's the "zero chemistry" line.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I thought Nyquist - Dubois - Atkinson was really effective last game because they were all moving their feet. It wasn't too cute.

But their passing is still atrocious. I think they were good almost despite each other. For me it's the "zero chemistry" line.
I think right now Atkinson is the out of place one on that line which is weird. Wonder if something like Nyquist-Dubois-Bjorkstrand Texier-Wennberg-Anderson Foligno-Jenner-Atkinson would look better as a whole. Or switch Cam and Anderson since you know what Foligno-Jenner-Anderson gives you

Reactions: thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think right now Atkinson is the out of place one on that line which is weird. Wonder if something like Nyquist-Dubois-Bjorkstrand Texier-Wennberg-Anderson Foligno-Jenner-Atkinson would look better as a whole. Or switch Cam and Anderson since you know what Foligno-Jenner-Anderson gives you

Atkinson is mostly just scoring on his own, and not really getting involved in passing plays or using his linemates at all. If that's the case, might as well put him with his old linemate Jenner. I think those two and Dubi were a trio when Cam scored 35 goals. If you have a winger chipping in 25-30 goals from the checking unit, that's huge.

I wouldn't mind seeing those lines you mentioned. Dubois - Bjorkstrand seemed to click well late last year, their scoring numbers were extremely high, largely thanks to Bjorkstrand's finishing. I really want to see Nyquist - Dubois - Anderson more though.

Edit: this is the play I had in mind:

Cam has two linemates with their sticks in position to shoot, with a better chance to score than he's going to be able to get on his backhand from that angle.

Last edited:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Finally a game where our vaunted defense was, at times, dominant..

Well to be fair most of the "vaunting" was from our fan base.

I didn't get a chance to watch the game but it looks like it was a good road game.

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Korp has been good, not great, but sufficient. I know there is some concern about his positioning but if he could shore up his rebound control and swallow up some more shots, I think it'd really solidify his game.

The offense is finding its way. The lineup is what it is for now.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Atkinson is mostly just scoring on his own, and not really getting involved in passing plays or using his linemates at all. If that's the case, might as well put him with his old linemate Jenner. I think those two and Dubi were a trio when Cam scored 35 goals. If you have a winger chipping in 25-30 goals from the checking unit, that's huge.

I wouldn't mind seeing those lines you mentioned. Dubois - Bjorkstrand seemed to click well late last year, their scoring numbers were extremely high, largely thanks to Bjorkstrand's finishing. I really want to see Nyquist - Dubois - Anderson more though.

Edit: this is the play I had in mind:

Cam has two linemates with their sticks in position to shoot, with a better chance to score than he's going to be able to get on his backhand from that angle.

Atkinson is a shooter first, second and third. He's a sub par passer with the exception of 3 on 3. This has been the case his entire career.

I'll surmise that at least 1/3rd of his career assists have been off rebounds of his own shot or his missed/semi-blocked shots.

He's never had more assists than goals in a single season.

Cam isn't ever going to be very effective in using his linemates. You ought to be used to this by now. Chemistry with Panarin was a 100% function of Panarin.

Let Cam be Cam. He's the anti Wennberg. He's always thinking shoot. It's why he's an NHLer.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Korp has been good, not great, but sufficient. I know there is some concern about his positioning but if he could shore up his rebound control and swallow up some more shots, I think it'd really solidify his game.

The offense is finding its way. The lineup is what it is for now.

Not meaning to be snide, but that's pretty wishful thinking for a guy with his experience level. I doubt that he can improve much more than very marginally on rebound control at this point in his NHL career.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Not meaning to be snide, but that's pretty wishful thinking for a guy with his experience level. I doubt that he can improve much more than very marginally on rebound control at this point in his NHL career.

A fair point. It's reasonable to think that's a thing he might not be able to add to his game. I'm not ruling it out, yet, though. (Maybe the positioning thing and the not swallowing up shots go hand-in-hand?)

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Korp has been good, not great, but sufficient.

Statistically speaking, he's been a mess for a while now. He was in the top 40 last season in SV% and only 1 of 3 players in the top 40 that had less than a 90% SV%. Thus far he's kind of on that trend now.

Currently he's like 21st and only one player ahead of him as a worse save pct. He hasn't faced a lot of shots, on average. If he continues to face around 25 shots a game, on average, that should lead to positive results.

At least things are heading in a positive direction the last couple of games.[/QUOTE]

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Atkinson is a shooter first, second and third. He's a sub par passer with the exception of 3 on 3. This has been the case his entire career.

I'll surmise that at least 1/3rd of his career assists have been off rebounds of his own shot or his missed/semi-blocked shots.

He's never had more assists than goals in a single season.

Cam isn't ever going to be very effective in using his linemates. You ought to be used to this by now. Chemistry with Panarin was a 100% function of Panarin.

Let Cam be Cam. He's the anti Wennberg. He's always thinking shoot. It's why he's an NHLer.

It's nothing new to me. I've been grumbling about his lack of set-ups for a long time, probably always will. I honestly empathized with Panarin when he was complaining about his linemates. Top liners should be able to work together, and single-minded players like Cam should be able to score on any line, so it's a waste to have them up top. I'll let Cam be Cam with Jenner, who he scored 35 goals with a few seasons back. That's a very impressive total to me, more so than 41 with Panarin.

Here's the numbers for PLD's lines since he broke into the league. Just comparing the RWs, the lines have a better goals for ratio when Bjorkstrand or Anderson are out there. The 63% goals for % for Dubois - Anderson in 600 minutes is astoundingly good. That's beating opponents almost 2-1. I don't know why we wouldn't keep going to that combo. Excluding the minutes with Panarin, PLD and Cam seem to have strong negative chemistry with each other. They both have better results without each other. Then look at Dubois and Anderson without Panarin, better than 2-1. Also, get those big boys signed long term Jarmo.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
It's nothing new to me. I've been grumbling about his lack of set-ups for a long time, probably always will. I honestly empathized with Panarin when he was complaining about his linemates. Top liners should be able to work together, and single-minded players like Cam should be able to score on any line, so it's a waste to have them up top. I'll let Cam be Cam with Jenner, who he scored 35 goals with a few seasons back. That's a very impressive total to me, more so than 41 with Panarin.

Here's the numbers for PLD's lines since he broke into the league. Just comparing the RWs, the lines have a better goals for ratio when Bjorkstrand or Anderson are out there. The 63% goals for % for Dubois - Anderson in 600 minutes is astoundingly good. That's beating opponents almost 2-1. I don't know why we wouldn't keep going to that combo. Excluding the minutes with Panarin, PLD and Cam seem to have strong negative chemistry with each other. They both have better results without each other. Then look at Dubois and Anderson without Panarin, better than 2-1. Also, get those big boys signed long term Jarmo.
The vast majority of PLDs time has been with Atkinson so I'm inclined to dismiss the differences for that reason and that the time spent with others may not have been in a first line role which one could assume would mean easier match ups. I'm not sure what the "2-1" number you're referring to is.

The CF% differentials aren't so big as to suggest a "chemistry" problem between PLD and Cam. Once again, playing first line minutes together vs. other minutes apart probably explains the differential-or at least most of it.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The vast majority of PLDs time has been with Atkinson so I'm inclined to dismiss the differences for that reason and that the time spent with others may not have been in a first line role which one could assume would mean easier match ups. I'm not sure what the "2-1" number you're referring to is.

Two-thirds of that 611 minutes was with Panarin, on the top line.*

The "2-1" is the goals ratio, that means Anderson and Dubois are scoring two for every one they give up, which is amazingly good. That's in 611 minutes for those two, a big sample. And most importantly they maintained a 2-1 whether Panarin was on their wing or not, it was slightly higher in the 200+ minutes without him. Last year the best ratio by a single player was 1.9-1, by Sidney Crosby, in 1250 minutes. We have the potential for some real chemistry here, we're fools for not running with it.

*You wouldn't expect playing lower in the lineup to generate higher scoring rates, more likely the opposite. Strength of linemates outweighs strength of opponents on average, unless you're talking about a playoff series where a guy gets Bergeron stuck on him.

Edit: forgot to address this point

The CF% differentials aren't so big as to suggest a "chemistry" problem between PLD and Cam.

PLD + Cam w/o Panarin is 42% Goals%, and 42% CF%. It's only 217 minutes, but I do think that strongly suggests a chemistry problem. Those guys shouldn't be getting outplayed.

Last edited:

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
In real life he is 6'6", Didn;t watch tonight. Sounds like they played well. Old Jackets trait lose to Ottowa, beat Carolina:dunno:

I don’t know, Garikov has been an absolute stud the past 2 nights

Espen you measured Torts at 6'6"??? dude is 5'4" at best. Gavrikov & Murray both playing extremely well tonight.. Nutti is that you.. nice goal big fella. Defense set the tone all night Go Jackets!!!

I also agree that PLD & Anderson should be together and Cam should be on the 3rd line with Jenns and Figs. Try it Torts..analytics show both lines would be considerably better. Less tension as well. Also put Bemstrom on the left dot on the PP and let him do his best AO. He has a cannon let it rip

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Espen you measured Torts at 6'6"??? dude is 5'4" at best. Gavrikov & Murray both playing extremely well tonight.. Nutti is that you.. nice goal big fella. Defense set the tone all night Go Jackets!!!

:facepalm:

Dude if you took this literally I don't know what to say. It all traces back to a question about Torts looking really small on tv. Of course he is not 6'6". And of course tv didn't make him look smaller than he is relative to players. IDK.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
:facepalm:

Dude if you took this literally I don't know what to say. It all traces back to a question about Torts looking really small on tv. Of course he is not 6'6". And of course tv didn't make him look smaller than he is relative to players. IDK.

He is between 6'7" and 6'9". Everybody knows this.

Reactions: Dumais and EspenK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad