GDT: Game 5 - CBJ at CAR - 12 Oct, 7pm

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I expect to see a bunch of jerks tonight. And also the Hurricanes. ;)

Projected lineup per bluejackets.com:
Projected Lineup
(Subject to change)

Gustav Nyquist - Pierre-Luc Dubois - Cam Atkinson
Alexandre Texier - Alexander Wennberg - Oliver Bjorkstrand
Nick Foligno - Boone Jenner - Emil Bemstrom
Jakob Lilja - Riley Nash - Sonny Milano

Zach Werenski - Seth Jones
Markus Nutivaara - Ryan Murray
Vladislav Gavrikov - David Savard

Joonas Korpisalo
Elvis Merzlikins

Scratches: Markus Hannikainen, Dean Kukan, Scott Harrington

Roster Report: The Blue Jackets used the same lineup vs. Anaheim on Friday night as they did in Monday's win vs. Buffalo. Hannikainen was recalled from AHL Cleveland on Friday as Josh Anderson (upper-body injury, day-to-day) was placed on injured reserve. The team will not have a media availability until pregame, so any final lineup decisions will not be known until late afternoon.

Lineup for the Canes is presently unknown but presumably is full of doom and destruction.

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
Flip a coin. Our D has done well, our goaltending has not. Cannot block all the shots headed our way. Need offense to show it has some ability to keep us floating without having to solely commit to keeping shots from the goalie and just be content with shots from the outside. Carolina a more open team with more opportunity for dangerous shots. Goes other way too. If goaltending fails us tonight we lose hard. If not; might eke out a win.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
'Canes averaging 4.4 goals a game; giving up 2.6. On paper this will be a mismatch. Luckily the game will be played on ice so there is a chance, albeit not a great one imo. Goalies and the D have to really stand out tonight.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
FREE THE YOUNG GUYS! Let them play. And let them play through mistakes. What do you have to lose? This is not a playoff team. Torts job is to win games but it's also to develop players. I have so many issues with him playing Bemstrom, Lilja and Sonny 9 minutes a piece last night...1 goal game or not. Even Texier should be getting a few more minutes. These guys have shown at times to be effective players that can generate opportunities that this team lacks.....goal scoring. Let them play.

Carolina really turned their program around quickly. They have a great defense and some skilled forwards and look really good even with their average goaltending.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
FREE THE YOUNG GUYS! Let them play. And let them play through mistakes. What do you have to lose? This is not a playoff team. Torts job is to win games but it's also to develop players. I have so many issues with him playing Bemstrom, Lilja and Sonny 9 minutes a piece last night...1 goal game or not. Even Texier should be getting a few more minutes. These guys have shown at times to be effective players that can generate opportunities that this team lacks.....goal scoring. Let them play.

Carolina really turned their program around quickly. They have a great defense and some skilled forwards and look really good even with their average goaltending.

I agree. I think we can follow the same pat --- FIRE TORTS!!

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Milano leads the team in xGF% at 5v5 but Torts is a bad coach who doesn't want to play his best offensive players on a team struggling to score goals. Cool.

Count Dzingel for a hat trick, probably.

Reactions: The Bread Man

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

To the bolded specifically...

I think this is a playoff team if the young guys play and play well. But they have to play for that to happen.

Last edited:

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Agree with the youth. Never been a Torts strong suit though. Preach disciplined fun.

I fear the wheel could come off if there's a blowout. Yes it is early but this ships need to turn.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Bread Man

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Torts isnt a bad coach but hes a bad coach imo in certain situations. He is crazy hard on young guys who dont have the physical element to their game and thats been a thing since atleast his NY days. Hes all over the map, sets Werenski up to be an all offense rover and helps create some bad habits but then at the same time had a short leash on Bjorkstrand and for Milano hes always been 1 failed dump into the zone away from Cleveland which is ridiculous. Not sure who is available these days but always wonder what could have been with Bednar

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Torts has been giving Texier and Bjorkstrand good minutes in the last couple games. I think it's just Milano we're talking about. And on that I agree he should be getting more than 9 minutes, he's been one of our few offensive sparkplugs out there, and at least from what I've seen has played a good all-around game. I'd like to see him in the top 9 tonight over Bemstrom.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
Surprised Carolina is only -185 on the money line. Tampa is -250 over Ottawa and a Boston is -200 over NJ. Vegas hasn’t completely lost confidence in us ala Ottawa or NJ, but getting there.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The Canes are the team I thought we would be --- 2 years ago with talent in the pipeline and youngsters ready to grow..

I thought we would both be good. And at this juncture I still wouldn't be so sure that they'll create any kind of long term separation from us. They're a really solid well coached team but I don't think their core roster is much better. I'd take Aho over any of our forwards but that's about the only distinction, maybe Svech eventually.

Right now their top three forward goal scorers are Teravainen (the real deal, a one time cheap pickup from Chicago), Dzingel (cast off from some other team), and Haula (the guy I wanted Jarmo to get, just acquired for a B prospect). And right now their top goalie has been Reimer who has a .940. Don't expect Reimer to keep that up.

I expect them to be just above 100 pts, but I also think Columbus is only one solid goalie or one solid top forward away from being in that same position.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I thought we would both be good. And at this juncture I still wouldn't be so sure that they'll create any kind of long term separation from us. They're a really solid well coached team but I don't think their core roster is much better. I'd take Aho over any of our forwards but that's about the only distinction, maybe Svech eventually.

Right now their top three forward goal scorers are Teravainen (the real deal, a one time cheap pickup from Chicago), Dzingel (cast off from some other team), and Haula (the guy I wanted Jarmo to get, just acquired for a B prospect). And right now their top goalie has been Reimer who has a .940. Don't expect Reimer to keep that up.

I expect them to be just above 100 pts, but I also think Columbus is only one solid goalie or one solid top forward away from being in that same position.

Yeah, maybe a guy like Panarin & a goalie like Bob...exactly where are they coming from? I think we need what you say plus a couple of better forwards, a#1 C and someone else, but I have no idea where they're coming from.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah, maybe a guy like Panarin & a goalie like Bob...exactly where are they coming from? I think we need what you say plus a couple of better forwards, a#1 C and someone else, but I have no idea where they're coming from.

I don't think we need that many more pieces. That's overkill.

Not knowing where the pieces come from, or if they'll come, is uncomfortable, but it doesn't mean it's impossible or even that unlikely. Panarin and Bobrovsky were undrafted Russians signed by NHL teams. The Blues got Binnington from the AHL/ECHL and O'Reilly in a swindle for a bag of chips and some cap dumps. Without those two I'd argue their team is basically an older version of ours.

Reactions: thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Now I am bitter about not getting Haula again

That's one of those cases where I was shocked by how low the price was. Even if he never reaches 50 pts again, if he's healthy he's worth more than a B prospect. Haula was a very effective bottom sixer in Minnesota.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
skimmed the carolina GDT on their board...

they sure dislike our organization, for whatever reason.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Not only is Torts a terrible fit for this team as constructed , his player utilization has been brutal since he’s been here . How is he going to coach these young guys up ? By making them focus their game on how they play away from the puck , to the point it neuters their offensive game ? By making them really effective of digging pucks out of the corner , and filtering the offense back to the blue line for a low percentage shot to not get thru ? What free agent is going to want to come to a play like Columbus , and play hard to play against hockey . What we saw last night with The Ducks , is Torts ideal gameplan . What’s really depressing is we had one of the best young coaches in the league , that actually had a track record of developing young talent , and we bring in Hitchcock 2.0 . Lots of empty seats last night , with nothing else going on in the City . Jarmo better wake the f*** up

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
To the bolded specifically...

I think this is a playoff team if the young guys play and play well. But they have to play for that to happen.
To your point , this team is what it is , if Torts continues to coach this way, which we know he will . He wants to rely on what he trusts, to not mess up . You can’t coach that way . We’re at the ceiling of where we will go , if Milano, Texier, Bemstrom are not allowed to play a lot and develop . If they get better , the ceiling goes way up. If we’re depending on Foligno to take his game To another level, or Wennberg , we will be a top 5 pick in the draft. As it stands , Torts will be sent packing pretty soon. He talks the game , but doesn’t walk the walk . All we heard this week was he needed to trust the young guys , we need to roll 4 lines . That’s not remotely what I saw last night

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad