Post-Game Talk: GAME #5: Canucks 6, Habs 5 (S/O) (Boeser x2, Horvat x2, Motte)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
3 of the bolded is affected with the departure of Tanev
53, 42, 55 are the number of games Tanev played before the 69 before the Covid shutdown last season.

Unfortunately, that spelled the end of his time in Vancouver. If he had managed to remain healthy then they wouldn't have spent the money on Myers. But, they decided that availability was an important ability for a Dman.

Reactions: Indiana

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Our D was really really bad but before we blame them solely for this tire fire..... i dont think i've seen a team give up more odd man rushes, break downs in coverage, stick checks, laughably sending 3 players in deep with a 1 goal lead and 10 minutes left. We have zero neutral zone structure it honestly looks like a exhibition game. When our D messes up no one covers and no one is even close to being in a position to cover.

Entertaining but wow.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Our D was really really bad but before we blame them solely for this tire fire..... i dont think i've seen a team give up more odd man rushes, break downs in coverage, stick checks, laughably sending 3 players in deep with a 1 goal lead and 10 minutes left. We have zero neutral zone structure it honestly looks like a exhibition game. When our D messes up no one covers and no one is even close to being in a position to cover.

Entertaining but wow.

For all the love Montreal gets(and maybe it was just a bad game for them) they were doing the exact same things.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays

Entertaining but wow.
Its happened lots over the past few years. For the last two years we had unbelievable goaltending to cover our ass. Even had a 3 on 0 in overtime. Team has to find a way to win without relying on goaltending for once

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Sometimes you paint a portrait, sometimes you paint a barn. This game was a barn.

I was happy to see the team trying and giving a damn. There’s still a lot of work to do - Petey and Quinn are still slumping, the PK is brutal, and our defense is a shambles - but they gave a solid effort tonight.

A big welcome back to Rookie Brock Boeser’s shot. How we missed you.

Horvat and Miller with big games up front, too.

Actually felt Jay Beagle had a pretty strong game. He might well be the hardest working guy out there, which I’ve got to respect - just too bad the talent can’t keep up with the heart.

Motte and Hoglander had good nights too, I thought. Sucked that Hoglander got benched in the late going and OT.

Roussel, Sutter, Gaudette, Virtanen, Pearson...rough nights. Sutter looks absolutely done. I think there’s a solid argument to be made that Loui Eriksson would probably be an upgrade on him at this point. His stamina and speed are totally shot.

On defense - Schmidt is a hero. Head and shoulders our best defender right now. Hughes going through some growing pains along with Pettersson at the moment.

Hamonic is having a rough ride. You hope it’s rust, but man - he made a bad decision on Toffoli’s first goal.

I was actually quite impressed with Chatfield. He hustled, he hit everything in sight, and he actually made a lot of smart moves with the puck. Didn’t look terribly out of place when Edler had to leave the game, either. He definitely staked a claim to his spot with his effort here. Regardless of how people feel about his standing in the organization, it’s good to see an undrafted kid fulfill his dream and look solid doing it.

Thought Holtby had a tough night (probably the worst of his starts thus far), but he delivered in the shootout when we needed it.

Anyway - take what worked, throw out what didn’t, and let’s try and win the next one. This game was certainly entertaining.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Well. We have now seen 3 Ex-Canucks bite us in the Jim Benning butt...

We survived tonight - just barely - but I sure as heck love a dayum WIN..

..and man, did this team need it.

JT for President/PM

Reactions: Ginger Papa

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
I know I’ve mentioned this but I was not impressed with Montreal like everyone else in the east is.

Reactions: LordBacon

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
some obvs:

As usual, team barely lost a beat losing 6M Edler. overall team gets to pucks faster.

Chatfield looked good, for a player playing in his 1st NHL good he looked "really" good. Quick to pucks, moves it well, skates well, gap control was good. Not overly big but has some edge to his game too.

Has hope he's not a pylon like Edler, Myers, Hamonic etc...

Hughes is struggling defensive. Gee I wonder why you take away his d partner, Tanev, our best defensive defenseman.

Like I said years ago, wouldnt' surprise me defense will be built around Hughes/Rathbone on the left and 2 more defensive minded RHD.

Just can't wait to see Rathbone play.

Petey obviously low in confidence. Takes only a few games for fans to turn on him. Good to see the Brock that we knew now back.

Funny, when Brock was on fire as a rookie, Petey wasn't here yet, and when Petey arrived, Brock was struggling, now the reverse. When both are going and the defense is fixed we can win a cup imo.

On Mtl:

Suzuki is a keeper, sky high hockey IQ. sees the ice so well and has silky hands. During his draft year, the skill was evident, the question mark was his size and if he is too soft. Even his game without the puck looks good atm.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Or backward
I seriously thought he was the next, very good, choice....and he has his moments..

But, he now has young tough choices to make; and he always seems to go with the most familiar and easiest.

I am growing weary...

..or maybe it's the 'comfortable covid sweat-pants' I've been living in...

Hmmm.

Note to Self: buy bigger sweat-pants.

Last edited:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
For all the love Montreal gets(and maybe it was just a bad game for them) they were doing the exact same things.
Fair but we came home and they are on a long extended road trip where they probably relished a loose game like this. Just lucky we didn't fall behind 4 times because i doubt they would have had the same willingness to surrender the neutral zone

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014

I watched their other three games and this was definitely their worst. Also their fourth road game in a row. Although two of those games were against the Oilers.

Reactions: MS

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It has to be said.

I hate Tyler Myers more than Loui Eriksson.
Wow! Already? Myers contract has three more years to run. But I hear you. By the time Myers contract comes to end, it actually could end up being worse than Eriksson's.

Reactions: B-rock

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad