Post-Game Talk: GAME #5: Canucks 6, Habs 5 (S/O) (Boeser x2, Horvat x2, Motte)

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Myers has been decent so far this year

I know I will get flack for agreeing with you, but I do.

I missed tonights game, but so far this season until tonight, he's looked at worst average. And compared to most of our D, he's been a lot more even then I'd have expected.

Not to say he's been spectacular, but decent is probably the right word.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
The Great Thing about JT, Bo, and Boes, is...

The other teams coaches have set their systems around Petey and Huggy..

..Things will change...let's get ready Mr. Green!

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Really a terrible performance but a 6-1 PP advantage and 3 PP goals bailed us out. Montreal didn’t even play well and Price had his worst game against us since he trashed the visitors dressing room over a decade ago.

- PP was never going to stay as bad as it looked in the first couple games. Boeser, Miller, Horvat all with very good games. Pettersson had some moments although still struggling.

- Motte was excellent and carried his line which did better today.

- everything about the blueline and everything about team defense aside from Nate Schmidt is embarrassing. No system, no personnel, no effort. Huge problems and this team will struggle badly to win games if they don’t figure out some solutions.

- Chatfield lost concentration for one moment and was burned on the 3-3 goal but otherwise held up ok and did better for himself than most of the regulars.

- Hughes bled goals all of last year but people simply didn’t want to hear about it when I tried explaining it. Was a -22 in 49 games where he played over 20 minutes, despite having Tanev as a security blanket and despite teams not preparing for him. This year, there is no Tanev, no sheltering, no rookie glow, higher expectations, and teams keying on him and the results are predictable. He isn’t good enough yet at ES for the role he’s playing.

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
I know I will get flack for agreeing with you, but I do.

I missed tonights game, but so far this season until tonight, he's looked at worst average. And compared to most of our D, he's been a lot more even then I'd have expected.

Not to say he's been spectacular, but decent is probably the right word.
his mistakes just get magnified cuz of his contract

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
The great thing about how Boeser looks is that even though you can tell he's in the best physical and mental shape he's been in for a while and it's already paying dividends, you can also tell that he's still only starting to get into his groove and regain his confidence/assertiveness. It's a shame that the hopelessness of most of the team seems to be overshadowing that somewhat.
forwarded to his agent...

good call bud

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Really a terrible performance but a 6-1 PP advantage and 3 PP goals bailed us out. Montreal didn’t even play well and Price had his worst game against us since he trashed the visitors dressing room over a decade ago.

- PP was never going to stay as bad as it looked in the first couple games. Boeser, Miller, Horvat all with very good games. Pettersson had some moments although still struggling.

- everything about the blueline and everything about team defense aside from Nate Schmidt is embarrassing. No system, no personnel, no effort. Huge problems and this team will struggle badly to win games if they don’t figure out some solutions.

- Chatfield lost concentration for one moment and was burned on the 3-3 goal but otherwise held up ok and did better for himself than most of the regulars.

- Hughes bled goals all of last year but people simply didn’t want to hear about it when I tried explaining it. Was a -22 in 49 games where he played over 20 minutes, despite having Tanev as a security blanket and despite teams not preparing for him. This year, there is no Tanev, no sheltering, no rookie glow, higher expectations, and teams keying on him and the results are predictable. He isn’t good enough yet at ES for the role he’s playing.
Have you ever noticed, amongst your 'glass half full' approach, you haven't listed enough 'small goods' details while avoiding the systems the other teams have put in place against our star players?
hmmm.
good post though bud. Seriously. Wooo!

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008

Chatfield was not even 1% at fault during that goal.
Hughes was late off the bench, Chatfield just had a long shift in the offensive zone, somebody else turned it over.
He could literally do nothing.

Reactions: David71

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Myers isn't GREAT and his contract obviously sucks ass but based on his play so far I definitely wouldn't throw his name in with the Gudbransons, Fantenbergs, etc. we've had on the team over the years.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
I’m ... not sure of what you’re saying here?
Just like our neighbours down south:
Let's look for the good stuff, not overly focus on the bad stuff: and most importantly, fix the bad stuff.
Just enjoying a great new day my friend!
Edit: not sure what I am saying as well...lol
bad beers...lol

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

This is pretty misleading. 5v5 last year, Hughes' GA/60 (2.85) was slightly high relative to the rest of the defense, but not noticeably so other than Stecher (2.04). Edler was 2nd best at 2.6, Benn and Fantenberg were in the 2.60s and Tanev and Myers were higher than Hughes. Hughes also was on for the fewer shots against per 60, the lowest expected GA per 60, and was +3 5v5.

Using games he played over 20 minutes is going to be impacted by score effects. All but 4 of those games he played fewer than 20 minutes was a win. Sure you can argue that he played less because he then wasn't out protecting the lead, but by the same token in a lot of those other games he's going to be used more in comeback situations where he's going to be on the ice for empty net, shorthanded and 3v3 goals against, which count for plus minus but usually aren't due to individual defensive play. Naturalstattrick is down which makes it harder to go through individual games, but I'm willing to be his 5v5 numbers aren't close to -20 in those games. Hughes certainly has more warts to his game than a lot of people wanted to admit last year, but he's also clearly playing much worse defensively this year.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
That was a stressful fun ass game... Awesome rollercoaster..

These games making watching hockey awesome.

Great to see the PP come alive...

And in an attempt to see the chicken salad in the chicken shit - Petterson just might get a Barzal type contract afterall.

Reactions: Indiana and Ozone

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
I’d be interested to see this line combo:

miller pettersson gaudette
Hoglander horvat boeser
Pearson sutter virtanen
Roussel beagle motte

hughes myers
Edler schmidt
Rathbone hamonic

swap hoglander and Pearson if needed. Gives us 2 solid lines and a 3rd line that is above average. Also want to see rathbone for a game

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think everyone was pretty confident the PP would eventually turn it around - the players are just too good to not be a good-to-great PP over the course of the season. They should have still been better for the games without Miller, but it's really something to see him back out there when everything is clicking.

Nice to see Chatfield with a solid if unspectacular performance. It's going to be so important for this team over the next two years to have NHL-level players on cheap contracts so if he can be a serviceable #7/8 guy who plays half the games due to injuries that would be a nice, cheap add. I remember thinking he was kind of a puzzling signing in 2017 but then I watched Windsor/London in the playoffs that year and came away impressed as a steady player who could eventually play in the NHL in a depth role.

I really think as the season goes on there is going be a massive reliance on the EP/Boeser/Horvat/Miller/Hughes group to outscore the rest of the team's problems. Obviously there won't be a ton of 6-5 games, but I do think they are going to need 4 or 5 goals much more than they have in past years due to the step back on the PK, in goal, and the inevitable injuries on the blueline that they are already seeing.

Falling to 1-4 with these blueline injuries and with a Toffoli hat trick sprinkled on top would have been a tough pill for the team & the market to take in. Great job fighting back for the win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->