GDT: Game 5: B's vs. Coyotes. 1900 at GRA

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
We really struggled against Bostns trap last night. I think we should dress Elliott and go w 7 D until Martinook is back. Take Boedker off point on PP. not working.
I love that idea. I like elliot more than most, and he'd be a perfect PPQB I think( or at least better than bods haha), even if he doesn't get much time even strength.
A lot to be learned from this game. The question Is: Who needs the learning?
do the players need to learn to come out playing hard and at a high energy level? Or, does Tippet need to learn to keep the hammer down?
Think about it - we came out and scored early..... Was the mantra "play a close tight game" after that? In Tippet speak - Does that mean "be careful", "cautious", "controlled" to the point of worrying about everything but moving your feet? I fear a pattern we've seen before and hope that fear is misguided.

That's worried me ever since we started blowing leads late in games(3 years ago?) and is my main complaint about our tippett coached teams even when we were doing well. We go into super passive make no mistakes mode sometimes, which is pretty awful. I like preaching mistake free hockey, but it shouldn't come at the cost of trying to create offense and playing physically.

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Sadly..this team is starting to look a lot like last year team. I too will wait until after the road trip before putting a fork in them as the first 3 games were really surprising for me with their team speed. But the last two games there has been no team speed, we look like headless chickens, can't make a pass and reverting back to that pathetic DT style. What really surprised me the first 3 games was that DT was allowing an extra forechecker from the drop of the puck and letting the guys skate. The last couple games DT has gone back tight game where you lose the team speed. Be tight when you need to but let the guys run. Unfortunately, unless we are behind early, DT is not going to do it. Also, DT needs to use his timeout earlier in game if warranted. There were multiple times during last night game when he needed to call timeout. And I watched him all night (I've watched him many losing nights). Not once did I see him in the face of his players. You don't have to yell but you have to be direct. Doan with #1 star was also a joke. I know a lot of you were really pushing for John Scott. Where is he? If you're not going to dress him against Kings or Bruins, who then? They probably play him against the big bad Devils....perhaps he should replace Boedker. For a guy who held out for more money in the offseason and signed a one year deal, he looks horrible. Also, he should have his agent demand he be taken off point on PP..it (along with the rest of his perimeter play) is killing his next contract.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Well what I took away from Tippett's post game comments at the end was that he didn't want the guys to let off the gas after getting the lead and sounded disappointed that they played too cautious.

Just listened to the presser and I'll take him at his word. In fact, he went so far as to say at the end "I think the team gets a lead and plays a little cautious, a little bit".

Edit: DEFINITELY agree with him on the execution. The boys were in preseason form for too much of the game, for certain. "batting the puck around" - EXCELLENT ANALYSIS

Last edited:

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Just listened to the presser and I'll take him at his word. In fact, he went so far as to say at the end "I think the team gets a lead and plays a little cautious, a little bit".

Edit: DEFINITELY agree with him on the execution. The boys were in preseason form for too much of the game, for certain. "batting the puck around" - EXCELLENT ANALYSIS

DT's quote is laughable. You have to have your foot ON the gas before you can take it OFF. Yotes were very fortunate to have a goal and a lead after first period.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
DT's quote is laughable. You have to have your foot ON the gas before you can take it OFF. Yotes were very fortunate to have a goal and a lead after first period.

I don't really want to listen to it again, but I don't remember him mentioning anything to do with having feet on the gas. He was speaking in general terms about how the boys play with a lead. Now, this could be on the boys themselves, or a problem with them understanding what is expected, but it would appear it is not something Tippet (at least knowingly) condones, or realizes his message is creating.

If you would care to listen to the man (assuming you haven't) you can pull it up quite simply (even I can do it) on the Coyotes official site, under "watch Tippet" after clicking "Bos 5 Ari 3".

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
That loss wasn't on DT. The players didn't come out flying like they had previously. The veterans were atrocious and Boston was all over Domi. Boston is a better team and they came to play from the stat.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
That loss wasn't on DT. The players didn't come out flying like they had previously. The veterans were atrocious and Boston was all over Domi. Boston is a better team and they came to play from the stat.

Boston was the better team. They controlled the play. Rask was terrific when he needed to be. Our top two lines couldn't handle the pressure. IMO it wasn't the Boston trap as much as it was the forechecking. This was a case of youngsters who didn't know what to due under the pressure.

I'll be you were excited when your boy Chip had us back in it! :sarcasm: :laugh:[/QUOTE
He'll score thirty on his next team. I blame Tippett. :sarcasm:

Every team is going to play us the same way now, with constant in your face pressure, until we prove we can handle it and hit the open man.

More importantly, the 1-3-1 power play is a total Charley Foxtrot. With Boedker on the point there is absolutely no puck security. If Tippett wants a forward out there it needs to be Reider, who is defensively responsible. Also, Tip's comment about too many shots blocked means the shots are being telegraphed. Too much hesitation on the attempts from the points. That's on both OEL and Boedker.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
A lot to be learned from this game. The question Is: Who needs the learning?
do the players need to learn to come out playing hard and at a high energy level? Or, does Tippet need to learn to keep the hammer down?
Think about it - we came out and scored early..... Was the mantra "play a close tight game" after that? In Tippet speak - Does that mean "be careful", "cautious", "controlled" to the point of worrying about everything but moving your feet? I fear a pattern we've seen before and hope that fear is misguided.

We scored early but were lucky. Boston was dominating us all game. If not for Smith we never would have had the lead.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Well what I took away from Tippett's post game comments at the end was that he didn't want the guys to let off the gas after getting the lead and sounded disappointed that they played too cautious.

I didn't get that impression at all. He was talking about execution and not completing passing with leads to no flow or speed.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Exactly what quote are you talking about?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't really want to listen to it again, but I don't remember him mentioning anything to do with having feet on the gas. He was speaking in general terms about how the boys play with a lead. Now, this could be on the boys themselves, or a problem with them understanding what is expected, but it would appear it is not something Tippet (at least knowingly) condones, or realizes his message is creating.

If you would care to listen to the man (assuming you haven't) you can pull it up quite simply (even I can do it) on the Coyotes official site, under "watch Tippet" after clicking "Bos 5 Ari 3".

I have not idea what quote he was talking about.

Correct

Boston was the better team. They controlled the play. Rask was terrific when he needed to be. Our top two lines couldn't handle the pressure. IMO it wasn't the Boston trap as much as it was the forechecking. This was a case of youngsters who didn't know what to due under the pressure.

Every team is going to play us the same way now, with constant in your face pressure, until we prove we can handle it and hit the open man.

More importantly, the 1-3-1 power play is a total Charley Foxtrot. With Boedker on the point there is absolutely no puck security. If Tippett wants a forward out there it needs to be Reider, who is defensively responsible. Also, Tip's comment about too many shots blocked means the shots are being telegraphed. Too much hesitation on the attempts from the points. That's on both OEL and Boedker.

I don't know why Boedker will not shoot.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Boston was just the better club. We had too many turnovers in our own zone and the neutral zone. Give their forecheck some credit, they were all over us. It looked like we were just sloppy and hesitant with the first pass or two out of our own zone. This is not as much a talent issue as it is poor execution, it is fixable to a degree.

The PP continues to be a problem and I am hoping Brown can figure it out. It seems like our point guys (OEL/Bods) are looking to pass first, rather than shoot first. The hesitation is leading to more blocked shots. Getting some shots through will open up passing lanes.

Tip punished Downie for his dumb play with limited minutes, glad to see that. I am glad Doan got rolling, hopefully Bods/Vermette are next. This team is a work in progress as Tip says, I am happy we are 3-2 so far, and the team is way more exciting then last year.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Boston was the better team. They controlled the play. Rask was terrific when he needed to be. Our top two lines couldn't handle the pressure. IMO it wasn't the Boston trap as much as it was the forechecking. This was a case of youngsters who didn't know what to under pressure.

It was the youngsters? The veterans looked horrible in both ends. Even our commentators were pointing out that Domi, Duke, and Rieder can't be expected to do everything. Doan and Vermy each had horrendous turnovers that ultimately ended up in our net.

I'm not sure how one could put this on the younger guys as they were still our best players.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
It was the youngsters? The veterans looked horrible in both ends. Even our commentators were pointing out that Domi, Duke, and Rieder can't be expected to do everything. Doan and Vermy each had horrendous turnovers that ultimately ended up in our net.

I'm not sure how one could put this on the younger guys as they were still our best players.

What I meant was that the top 2 lines and particularly the rookies weren't able to produce as they did in the first 3 games because they couldn't handle the pressure. And yea, the vets continue to under perform and both those turnovers were horrendous. So was Boedker's play on the PP.

3 shorties given up in 5 games. When was the last time any of us have seen that?

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
3 shorties given up in 5 games. When was the last time any of us have seen that?
Texas high school hockey like 15 years ago. Schools with converted rollerblade kids that didn't have any Michigan imports or Quebec imports. Happened to them a lot.

Edit: oh, you mean in the NHL?

:dunno:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Boston was just the better club. We had too many turnovers in our own zone and the neutral zone. Give their forecheck some credit, they were all over us. It looked like we were just sloppy and hesitant with the first pass or two out of our own zone. This is not as much a talent issue as it is poor execution, it is fixable to a degree.

The PP continues to be a problem and I am hoping Brown can figure it out. It seems like our point guys (OEL/Bods) are looking to pass first, rather than shoot first. The hesitation is leading to more blocked shots. Getting some shots through will open up passing lanes.

Tip punished Downie for his dumb play with limited minutes, glad to see that. I am glad Doan got rolling, hopefully Bods/Vermette are next. This team is a work in progress as Tip says, I am happy we are 3-2 so far, and the team is way more exciting then last year.

Work is progress is correct. I don't expect many wins this year, but what I expect is that the young ones progress throughout the year. That includes players that were here last year like Murphy, Dalhbeck, Stone etc.

The team as a whole was terrible and that includes Duclair. But your right the vets have looked horrible. I have never seen Vermette play so bad.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What I meant was that the top 2 lines and particularly the rookies weren't able to produce as they did in the first 3 games because they couldn't handle the pressure. And yea, the vets continue to under perform and both those turnovers were horrendous. So was Boedker's play on the PP.

What happened to our PP? Our special teams are the opposite of last year.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

Well the PP nose dived after injuries and trades.

I broke it down here:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=102524805&postcount=823

So going on those same ideas we are operating without Yandle. They also did not find a competent LD. Since Boedker is being forced onto the blue line we are not only down a competent point man we are also down Boedker the winger.

He's possibly replaced by one of Domi or Duclair there. But it's a bit early yet and our PP is pretty systemic. Domi and Duclair have thrived this season so far on individual creativity which is a square peg/round hole situation with our current PP scheme.

They are also down Vermette because, well yeah.

So the team with the bad PP last season after February is still basically here, except it has Hanzal. That's not enough alone to jump back into the top 10.

I still think it can turn around to at least a respectable pp but that's dependent on these 5 games not being reflective of how Vermy and Boedker play the rest of the way. I doubt both of them remain at this level. But the point problem is still going to persist.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Yandle is what happened. Yandle made plays, quick decisions. With Bods, he hesitates too much, it gives the PKers time to adjust.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Yandle is what happened. Yandle made plays, quick decisions. With Bods, he hesitates too much, it gives the PKers time to adjust.

It is the lack of shooting that is the issue. Honestly, we move the puck around the ice on our PP as well as we did last year. Part of the reason why Yandle and OEL had a lot more shots previously was b/c we often had to settle for dump and chase. When we have the extra man and the puck is down at goal line extended or below, it will naturally find its way to our point men for the shot. Boedker simply doesn't shoot it, and that will be our major problem, as was said. Quick decisions aren't always effective decisions, but Boeds and OEL are both struggling with effective decisions from the point (more Boeds than OEL, though)...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad