GDT: Game 5: B's vs. Coyotes. 1900 at GRA

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Thinking that if Martinook hadn't been scratched due to injury, Downie would have been a healthy scratch for Vitale. He only had 6min TOI.

If Vitale is out I think we'll see our first call up.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I've already seen enough of Boedker on the point. Are we sure Dahlbeck can't do better than that? Good heavens.

Weak-ass penalty on Chipchura there at the end, but special teams were a mess. You're never going to win giving up 3 PPG and a shorty. And Hanzal carrying the puck up the ice on the very last rush? In between OEL and Boedker? :facepalm:

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Thinking that if Martinook hadn't been scratched due to injury, Downie would have been a healthy scratch for Vitale. He only had 6min TOI.

Come on down John Scott!

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
I really have no idea what's going on there. If he wasn't going to be in against LA then.....
Yeah, I thought he was specifically brought in to play the likes of LA and Boston. Guess management have other plans.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
So Duclair didn't score. Guess he gets scratched next game right? Had to have been his fault we gave up so many.

If Tippett didn't have to give ice time to kids who clearly aren't ready for the NHL, we would have only lost 3-1, the respectable way. This is what you get when you play the kids. I hope you're all happy. Also, "Oilers!"

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Yeah, I thought he was specifically brought in to play the likes of LA and Boston. Guess management have other plans.

Same. If you're not going to dress him for those games, why did you sign him?! To a one-way deal no less... Do we have a plan here? Are we hoping his glare will intimidate from the press box?

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Not a great game, but again at least effort and some physical play was there. Boedker is a complete disaster on the point, I know it's only been 5 games but he hasn't shown any improvement, plus shifting him to the second pp unit on the half boards would make our second pp better. I get the feeling this and the wild game is more what we'll see this year instead of the first three where we caught teams not ready to play. I'm not really on the tank train since dead last doesn't mean a whole lot, but I still think we'll lose plenty either way, enough to add another nice piece in the draft so it hardly matters.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
#ComeHomeMatthews #Tkachuk2.0 #June24

Good thing the next home game isn't for 2 more weeks, I need to detox after this game.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Reactions on seeing the box score after reffing tonight (I had to leave shortly into the second):

Seeing that we lost: "Figures, don't really care"
Seeing that Kyle Chipchura scored: "GOD DAMNIT!" (I actually said this out loud in the dressing room)

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
This was an 'odd' game to watch. We get a gift early with Doan and Boston pretty much owned us the entire 1 & 2 periods and we dig ourselves a hole and then try to get out of it in the 3rd period, which we do only to give it away.

where have I seen this before :sarcasm:

At least this season they are fun to watch.

There sure is a keen difference between Boston & Us. They have a #1 C in Bergeron, and although I'd say Marty is our defacto #1, we'll have ours next year, possibly 2 if we get lucky enough to draft Matthews.

Vermette is old, Doan had much better giddyup tonight and for him that makes all the difference. I expect Domi/Duclair/OEL/Rieder to be entertaining, but we're going to lose more than we win.

Just not enough skill yet to compete against the very good teams.

Next year with Strome, Dvorak & Perlini should do wonders again by removing the Chipchuras, Vitales, etc...

Also, Richardson isn't good as a Vermette replacement. He's definitely a 3/4th liner who should stay there.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Duclair with roughly 30 seconds more icetime than Chipchura so far.... #meritbasedicetime

Duclair had a rough night. Very weak on his skates, gets hit off the puck very easily and loses most board battles etc. It will be a year of learning and adjustment for sure.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Boedker could pull double duty as a light rail train going in circles like that. Whole lot of show for nothing.

He can hang onto the puck and do everything right, but he just will no shoot. So irritating. Maybe he should join Smith for one of his sessions.:dunno:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
My 3 Stars:
Rieder ***
Marchand **
Bergeron *

Domi and Duclair with their worst performance thus far, though Duke had a few flashes.

The first 10-12 min of the third were pretty good. Rest? zzzZZzzzz

What a trash call though, holy crap. The player chip collided with wasn't even attempting to play towards the puck

Didn't really matter, the game was over long ago. Bruins dominated, but Smith kept it close. OEL is starting the same way he did last year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Back to back 12 hour stressful days at work. Thought I'd just crash for an hour before the game started. 3 and 1/2 hours later and I missed it.

So Duclair didn't score. Guess he gets scratched next game right? Had to have been his fault we gave up so many.

You didn't miss much. Duclair was not good, did not engage in the play at all. The whole team didn't as far as that goes.

3 PP and 1 SH goal for Boston. That's a tough one to swallow. Nothing went right for us. Even when the Bruins misplayed the puck, we misplayed it worse and gave the puck right back.

Do like the resolve of this team to keep the comeback attempts going. Need to start seeing some of the classic 1-1 and 2-1 games back in the fold. Make our defense accountable and be more fluid/less panicky with the puck...

Boston dominated, simple as that. When you don't move your feet that's what happens. We had about 10 minutes of good hockey,that's it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Didn't know that Martinook was injured. Maybe that is why he looked terrible last game.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
We really struggled against Bostns trap last night. I think we should dress Elliott and go w 7 D until Martinook is back. Take Boedker off point on PP. not working.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We really struggled against Bostns trap last night. I think we should dress Elliott and go w 7 D until Martinook is back. Take Boedker off point on PP. not working.

For sure, but I think we would have struggled against anything last night.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Duclair had a rough night. Very weak on his skates, gets hit off the puck very easily and loses most board battles etc. It will be a year of learning and adjustment for sure.

Duclair definitely needs work without the puck.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
A lot to be learned from this game. The question Is: Who needs the learning?
do the players need to learn to come out playing hard and at a high energy level? Or, does Tippet need to learn to keep the hammer down?
Think about it - we came out and scored early..... Was the mantra "play a close tight game" after that? In Tippet speak - Does that mean "be careful", "cautious", "controlled" to the point of worrying about everything but moving your feet? I fear a pattern we've seen before and hope that fear is misguided.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad