GDT: Game #5: Blues (2-1-1) vs Jets (2-3-0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
what do you want him to say? he wants to create a culture where players compete and don't accept losing. where kids have to earn their ice time. the culture that we had and let slip away. so he isn't going to say that he wants us to be in battle for worst record in league. he is signaling that he would like to make the playoffs but knows that is an optimistic result because we don't have enough good players.
Oh yeah I see the point in his answer, my poor comparison of the comments is the isolated part where he says he thinks we can be in the competitive 3rds of the league (playoff teams). Out of context it comes across as the Blues version of the pitching comment.

Like I say a poor comparison on my part likely.

The overall arch of his comment about rebuilding a winning and competitive culture I whole heartedly agree with, I just don't know if this is the overall group of vets who can do that.

Reactions: Blueston

Fitrix

Mar 25, 2019
If this is October Blues, I’m terrified of this years version of November Blues

Honestly though, hoping the guys can round in to some form

Reactions: RORbacon

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Not a great game for The Blues. Somewhat sloppy. I hope they get a little tighter on their Neutral Zone Play and better on the forecheck and backchecking. They also need to work on their Power Play, despite scoring one in this game.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
This all goes back to Berube coaching these guy not to shoot, but to hold the puck.

We suck at controlling the puck. Might as well shoot.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Oh yeah I see the point in his answer, my poor comparison of the comments is the isolated part where he says he thinks we can be in the competitive 3rds of the league (playoff teams). Out of context it comes across as the Blues version of the pitching comment.

Like I say a poor comparison on my part likely.

The overall arch of his comment about rebuilding a winning and competitive culture I whole heartedly agree with, I just don't know if this is the overall group of vets who can do that.
one of the things i absolutely love about armstrong is his honesty, his transparency. he always tells you exactly what he thinks about the club, what he is trying to do with future moves, past moves, everything. there are some things he can't reveal, obviously, but he is so precise in his language that if you can learn to speak "Army" you can predict what we might do pretty well. of course, if you are obtuse like a certain beat reporter, you can misconstrue his comments quite easily too.

Reactions: RORbacon and mk80

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
If you don't trust Scandella and Tucker enough to have them out there for 14-16 minutes a night, then play someone else ffs. Tucker has not been as good as he was last year which is fine, but 8 minutes? Just play Perunovich or Bortuzzo

Reactions: mk80

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
If you don't trust Scandella and Tucker enough to have them out there for 14-16 minutes a night, then play someone else ffs. Tucker has not been as good as he was last year which is fine, but 8 minutes? Just play Perunovich or Bortuzzo
I'd like to see Perunovich, he should help the offence more than Scandella or Tucker, and probably not hurt the defence enough more than those two, to make much difference in that area.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
good to see buchnevich back, solid outing for him

binny probably wants that 3rd goal back, maybe it deflected in off parayko's snow angel move

blais probably needs every 3rd game off, his durability is so low

overall not a good game and winnipeg eventually pulled away

Reactions: mk80

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
agree, but they have been really bad together. need to break them up. one of our top priorities this season should be seeing whether tucker is legit nhl d or just a guy. and playing him 8 minutes with a partner he is clearly not a fit with doesn't seem like the best way to go about trying to figure that out.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
kap and vrana combined for 1 shot, 1 missed shot, 1 penalty, -1, and no other stats. no giveaways, takeaways, blocks, or hits. completely disengaged. no wonder their last teams were so eager to give them away.
This all goes back to Berube coaching these guy not to shoot, but to hold the puck.

We suck at controlling the puck. Might as well shoot.
This is my biggest problem with the team - it seems there is a disconnect between Armstrong and Berube.

I’m completely fine if we get another top 10 pick but we should at least have more of an identity. The players Armstrong brings in doesn’t seem to really correlate with the way Berube wants to play.

I imagine Berube isn’t thrilled with the personnel he has. I respect Armstrong for re-tooling but I’d like to see him do a better job in terms of helping out his head coach and having a vision that aligns with his. Like we took a chance on Vrana for peanuts but if Berube clearly doesn’t like his game much, what’s the point?

Reactions: Robb_K

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
@ Calgary
@ Vancouver
@ Colorado
Devils
Habs
Jets
Coyotes
@ Colorado
Tampa Bay

Ooof ,, how many points do they get over the next 9 games???

It could get really ugly really early in the season

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

JR1

Dec 22, 2016
@ Calgary
@ Vancouver
@ Colorado
Devils
Habs
Jets
Coyotes
@ Colorado
Tampa Bay

They should get a couple of points out of those 9 games.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
@ Calgary
@ Vancouver
@ Colorado
Devils
Habs
Jets
Coyotes
@ Colorado
Tampa Bay

Good, let it get ugly. I'm tired of pretending this team has any chance of contending for a playoff spot, and the sooner we can nip that bud, the better off this team will be. Acquire draft picks and lets move this shit into the roaring 20's baby

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
This is my biggest problem with the team - it seems there is a disconnect between Armstrong and Berube.

I’m completely fine if we get another top 10 pick but we should at least have more of an identity. The players Armstrong brings in doesn’t seem to really correlate with the way Berube wants to play.

I imagine Berube isn’t thrilled with the personnel he has. I respect Armstrong for re-tooling but I’d like to see him do a better job in terms of helping out his head coach and having a vision that aligns with his. Like we took a chance on Vrana for peanuts but if Berube clearly doesn’t like his game much, what’s the point?
he gave him blais and sunny back! it's obviously a balancing act. h needed to find guys who didn't cost much in assets and didn't require significant financial commitment. and who, if they were FA, would have to be at least okay with coming to crappy team. so yeah, army gave berube a couple of turds to polish.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Good, let it get ugly. I'm tired of pretending this team has any chance of contending for a playoff spot, and the sooner we can nip that bud, the better off this team will be. Acquire draft picks and lets move this shit into the roaring 20's baby

I'm so sick of Binnington paying the price for this teams pathetic performance.

good to see buchnevich back, solid outing for him

binny probably wants that 3rd goal back, maybe it deflected in off parayko's snow angel move

blais probably needs every 3rd game off, his durability is so low

overall not a good game and winnipeg eventually pulled away

I kind of got the same feeling about that 3rd goal. Parayko's stick swung into the line of fire just as It was released and it looked to catch Binny by surprise. Almost like a deflection. I can't get a good enough look at a replay to know for sure though.

Reactions: Blueston

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I'm so sick of Binnington paying the price for this teams pathetic performance.
We're never going to know the career he could've had with what happened to this team after 2020. I'm curious what his numbers would look like if he were playing during the Hitchcock era and nearing retirement now. Instead he's playing on a piss poor team getting shelled every night and is still throwing up good games. Waste of his prime years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad