GDT: Game #49 | St. Louis Blues @ Washington Capitals | 12PM CST | NBCSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
Another horrible play by Bouwmeester. Fumbled a routine D to D with no pressure, then iced it at the end of a long shift.

It's becoming far too routine for him, lately. His linemates, and particularly his partner, are sheltering him from even more would-be gaffes. Aside from the defensive zone blunders, his peripheral vision on the offensive side of the puck is zilch. It never was great, but he gained the blue line and had Oshie and Tarasenko, with tons of space in front of them, on several occasions and he dumped it in.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
So this week we have Tampa (will be tough, even if we were at full strength) then a B2B with CBJ/BUF. Should get 3-4 points out of that even shorthanded. Then we have Chicago on Sunday. Hopefully everyone will be recovered / unsuspended by that game.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
It helped that it was the Caps 4th game in 6 days and played their backup goalie. Not sure if that's worse than playing 2 players down and being without Lehtera and Bergs. Playing 2 players down is really difficult.

Blues played 3 games in 4 days.

Both teams had a fatigue factor.

Anyone else notice Ovechkin leaving his feet to hit Pietrangelo? I was watching the NHL network replays and he clearly did.

I guess the wambulance is too busy with Backes' hit

Last edited:

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Sounds like it was a great game, pissed that I missed it. First Blues game I missed in at least 3 seasons, and now I have to wait 48 hours to see the replay (stupid NHL Vault blackout restrictions lol.)

Hey Easton. Do you think you can leave the poll open for this game, for a few days? As I wont be able to watch the game until the 48 hour period is up, and I can't vote till I've seen it.

Would that be a problem?

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Sounds like it was a great game, pissed that I missed it. First Blues game I missed in at least 3 seasons, and now I have to wait 48 hours to see the replay (stupid NHL Vault blackout restrictions lol.)

Hey Easton. Do you think you can leave the poll open for this game, for a few days? As I wont be able to watch the game until the 48 hour period is up, and I can't vote till I've seen it.

Would that be a problem?
I can leave it open until game time on 2/3.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Crap, I probably wont get to vote then, because the game wont become available until 02/03 anywhere between noon and 3 pm.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Why are we glorifying that Ovi hit on Petro? He literally jumped a foot in the air when he made the hit. How does that go unnoticed? I bring it up because it was the number 2 play on NHL Network. It was so blatantly charging. Just awful. Please someone make a gif of the replay(not the first angle from far away, the replay right on the action) and convince me he didn't leave his feet, and not by a little bit.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Why are we glorifying that Ovi hit on Petro? He literally jumped a foot in the air when he made the hit. How does that go unnoticed? I bring it up because it was the number 2 play on NHL Network. It was so blatantly charging. Just awful. Please someone make a gif of the replay(not the first angle from far away, the replay right on the action) and convince me he didn't leave his feet, and not by a little bit.

He got away with it because of who he is, just be glad Petro didn't get hurt that's a big dude, I agree that it's ******** but it is what it is

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
One of the better wins of the season and better games to watch of the season. Only minus is the Shattenkirk injury. Hopefully it's minor
Indeed. That was an exciting game! Alot of positives to take away from this game, Steen-Oshie-Tarasenko looked awesome, Cole had a really solid game, Elliott played excellent and was sharp.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
Anyone analyze how or what Shatty might have injured? Saw one replay and I dont want to presume anything off of it. Sorry if this has already been discussed, only read the last page.

elkranio

Jan 4, 2014

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Anyone analyze how or what Shatty might have injured? Saw one replay and I dont want to presume anything off of it. Sorry if this has already been discussed, only read the last page.

This is 100% guesswork, let me make that clear first and foremost.

I personally don't think he was injured when he hit the boards, I think the injury caused him to hit the boards. He was skating alongside Ovi, and then his right foot slipped out from under him. Instead of digging into the ice, it just slid along the top like his skates were dull. If I had to make a guess, I'd say it's a groin injury. Again, total guess.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Also, if Backes gets anything more than a fine I will be livid. It was boarding no doubt, and it cause an "injury", so the game misconduct was the right call in my opinion. That's where the line should be drawn though.

Compare it to Scandella's flying elbow on Gunnar. Scandella wasn't even called for a penalty(somehow), yet it was a far more dangerous play and it resulted in Gunnar missing a number of games. Alzner stayed in the game and played the rest of the way and showed no signs that the "injury" had any sort of effect on him. Scandella got a fine. There is no way the league can justify giving Backes anything more.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
This is 100% guesswork, let me make that clear first and foremost.

I personally don't think he was injured when he hit the boards, I think the injury caused him to hit the boards. He was skating alongside Ovi, and then his right foot slipped out from under him. Instead of digging into the ice, it just slid along the top like his skates were dull. If I had to make a guess, I'd say it's a groin injury. Again, total guess.
Thanks, appreciated. So you dont think the contact with OVI had anything to do with it? Just lost an edge? I saw one full-speed replay so Im pretty lost. As long as its not a season-ending knee injury, I guess. Tough to lose him and groin pulls can be a PITA. Offense will suffer.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Thanks, appreciated. So you dont think the contact with OVI had anything to do with it? Just lost an edge? I saw one full-speed replay so Im pretty lost. As long as its not a season-ending knee injury, I guess. Tough to lose him and groin pulls can be a PITA. Offense will suffer.

I don't think so. They barely collided at all. I've watched the replay a few times and it's the only thing I've seen. Maybe someone else has seen something different.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Also, if Backes gets anything more than a fine I will be livid. It was boarding no doubt, and it cause an "injury", so the game misconduct was the right call in my opinion. That's where the line should be drawn though.

Compare it to Scandella's flying elbow on Gunnar. Scandella wasn't even called for a penalty(somehow), yet it was a far more dangerous play and it resulted in Gunnar missing a number of games. Alzner stayed in the game and played the rest of the way and showed no signs that the "injury" had any sort of effect on him. Scandella got a fine. There is no way the league can justify giving Backes anything more.
You mean Anders Lee? Or Scandella is the one that hit Oshie.

I agree that the major was enough for Backes, but the league just doesn't make any sense so I have no idea what will happen. Some boarding calls get suspensions and others don't. Half of them look the exact same but get called differently, and that's the truth.

I really am done trying to predict suspensions with this league. Their logic is so inconsistent it's ridiculous. I could see Backes getting nothing or getting 3-4 games because it's impossible to know what they'll come up with.

In the end I'm not expecting anything though since he doesn't have a history.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
The hit was pretty much a textbook boarding penalty. Do the people who are calling for suspensions think every boarding minor should be a suspension? A dumb play any way you slice it but not anything more than a 2 min minor + extra because Alzner was cut

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
The hit was pretty much a textbook boarding penalty. Do the people who are calling for suspensions think every boarding minor should be a suspension? A dumb play any way you slice it but not anything more than a 2 min minor + extra because Alzner was cut

This. If that's anything more than the definition of boarding, what are half of all checks on the forecheck in the playoffs? What about when someone actually drives (cross-checks) someone into the boards? The worst type of boardings don't even get huge attention, so why should this one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany