Post-Game Talk: GAME 49 - Enjoy Vacation Boys - BRUINS 6 Sons of Gritty 2

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Coyle is much better at faceoffs than he used to be. He used to be a train wreck at the dot, now he's average. I think the only way for him to improve on important face offs is to do them, that isn't something you can practice for.
Respectfully, I disagree.

Reactions: BMC

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
So when exactly do NHL players practice faceoffs during a season? I don't know, but I doubt they do it much, if at all.
In addition to skills, and anticipation, I think players can practice and increased eye/hand speed and coordination à la front net tips,, stick technics etc...

I also beleive players need to study the whole mental aspect, and what I mean without being restricted to the following, learning the opponent's tendencies, those of the referees and the whole aspect of competitiveness. A faceoff is 1VS1 battle at the base. You can practice it for sure, but there is more than that and experience is part of it. Bergeron forces was his game reading, his intelligence. I beleive he knew his opponents forces and weakness, and referee's tolerance to his body positioning.

I say the above and nothing at the same time ;) cause I am no great hockey analysis, but it is how I see it.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I'm no sports psychologist, but have read many books to help in my own performance (music).

In technique, a 'meaningful' face-off is no different than any other. But in practice, it's an entirely different mindset.

With nobody watching, many could kick a 42 yard field goal, including high schoolers. But with a Superbowl or playoff game on the line, it's very different. Just ask the Buffalo Bills.

My read on the Bruins over the past several years is this: they've mastered the Inner Game (mental) by being even-keeled. They don't let themselves get too high after a win, or too low after a loss.

More importantly, this has made the players successful in life in general. I recall an interview with Tuuka Rask at the start of the 2019-20 season, just months after the devastating Game 7 Cup loss. He was sporting a tan, jovial, and happy; whereas many fans still hadn't gotten past the loss.

While this mentally balanced approach has helped them, I feel it has also hindered. They lost 3 home games including a Game 7 in 2019, with some mental lapses inexplicable for what was at stake. They had a 3-1 lead against Florida, including a one goal lead with a minute left in Game 7. They not only couldn't win a face-off, they couldn't get a simple clear; which has repeated this season.

I don't view them as choke artists; rather, I see them not elevating their intensity in key situations and games, when their opponents do. Just look at Matthew Tkachuk through the entire playoffs. If the B's could get that fire in their bellies, they'd be even scarier. They had that in 2011, from Tim Thomas on out.

The reality is, their lives don't depend on the outcome of a face-off, a game, or a series. But their opponents often play as if their lives did.

I'm all for practicing face-offs; but I think some mental adjustments are equally important.

Reactions: BMC and KWbruin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad